Welcome to PatsFans.com

I've frequently seen Boston described as being rude, obnoxious, unfriendly, but..

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by PP2, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Chopblock CB

Chopblock CB On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: I've frequently seen Boston describe as rude, obnoxious, unfriendly, but..

OY vay asmeer....god forbid your neighbor should be friendly...I have the same problem in my town.....The "froomies" don't say hi to me on saturday unless I say "Good Shabbas" to them...then they are somewhat friendly....:p

2. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -1

Are you sure you're from Boston? I mean, my people are Irish and what you just wrote...in that paragraph...is what was said about us about a century ago, except the specific references would have been different...there were no Chevrolets on the street yet, but the bigotry was the same, as demonstrated in the signs in the windows of stores owned by the dominant culture that "Irish need not apply" for a job.

It was because people thought that we wanted to live in our "own urban pockets" and that we didn't have the "social aptitude" and whatever else you wrote.

You might be from Boston in body, but you're not from Boston in spirit. If you can write something like that, you just don't get what this city is all about.

I'm outa this thread, so save your breath in response. I won't be reading it.

3. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,539 / 20 / -26

I didn't know that was you living next door....:wave:

4. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +114 / 9 / -3

Refugees get money for 3 months.

I'm an immigrant. I know how it goes. Father came over at age 45. People constantly tried to rip him off because of his accent, contractors, people from the city, it was never ending.

I got into my share of scrapes in the 1980s. A bunch of cowards ganged up on me singing that damn illegal alien song by Phil Collins. Fun time! Given my experience, I don't think a lot has changed, but you are certainly wrong about the money for immigrants. That only goes to refugees and even then only for a few months. They aren't eligible for welfare.

5. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +114 / 9 / -3

David Ortiz: "This is our ******* city."

6. Pewsterbaby

Pewsterbaby Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You already know I live in New York City, same as you. Only, I slum it in the outer boroughs by choice. I'm drawn to urban decay and traveling down in class can be taken to art form level if you really know how to pull it off. There's great material out here.
    Regardless, I was referencing what I've observed in NYC from one Pakistani when asking about his experiences in Boston. Then some people over here wanna pile on with some Irish reference from yesteryear. It's apples and oranges. American society's intricacies have reached Kubrikian complexity in the year 2013. That "Irish Need Not apply' reference was freaking Dawn Of Man 1st act material.
    Anywhay, take a subway from your abode on The Upper West Side and come on out to Crooklyn and I'll show you a few modern day self-imposed ghettos. Got one right here in Greenpoint. Even made a sitcom about it called "Two Broke Girls". Got another right next door in Williamsburg too.

Wanna see SECULARIZATION? I gotcher secularization right here, homeslice.

7. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +174 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Nice plow...

8. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +174 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Weird thread.

9. Pewsterbaby

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Taking the high road today, I see. C'mawn, gimme 'lil nibble on that line.

10. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,609 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

Before even opening this thread I just knew there would be a back-and-forth going on.

The Boston metro area is divided into VERY distinct neighborhoods; there's no real "homogenized" feel to it. That's especially true with the downtown and contiguous areas dominated by college kids with strong international representation. If you want to talk New Englanders in general, this much is true: they are protective of their space because there's not a whole lot of it -- that's where the "rep" comes from. (Well, that and many generations of guilt-centric religious conditioning.)

11. Triumph

Triumph Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +358 / 58 / -29

#32 Jersey

You aint whistling dixie.

12. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,539 / 20 / -26

you want to experience "friendly"...come to Rhode Island (Vi Dilun in the local vernacular)...we'll show you "friendly"...

[​IMG]

on second thought...maybe not....:madgrin:

(for you younger people out there, that's Johnny Friendly the dock boss from the Marlon Brando film vehicle and Oscar winner...On The Waterfront)

13. PatsSox363804

PatsSox363804 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

I don't know if I'd put it that bluntly but it's sort of my experience as well. I won't paint everyone with the same brush but "generally" people from New England may come across as more rude but in reality it's just realism and honesty. They don't BS you. People in the south on the other hand, again generally speaking not everyone, always put on the nice face up front because they have this ingrained need to show southern hospitality but then you get to know them and realize they're every bit as rude as the New Englander they just put on a show. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer not to be BS'ed.

In my years living in the south the terms I most often hear associated with Boston are "elitist" and "too liberal." One time in particular I didn't know something immediately at a past job and someone said to me "what I thought you friggin Boston people knew everything."

14. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

In my experience with my husband's family and acquaintences in the South they are all friendly but they have a huge need to be in everybody's business all the time.

15. Pewsterbaby

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hey Tunescribe, last night, I'm in my Vermont friend's room in the Grand Hyatt (I don't slum it all the time, per se. I like to occasionally return to my entitled roots so I don't lose my Holden Caulfield self altogether, mind you)
    He says,"Think fast!" and the latest copy of Prog Magazine lands in my lap before I can muster a reflex.
    Tunes! Ooo! I was so impressed. It was... big... glossy... and heavy.
    I thumbed inwards to the stats column and saw it's published overseas. Its nice oversized appearance did look familiar, like those of Mojo, Guitarist, & Total Guitar. Same publishing house.
    You've got quite the stateside challenge with that monster publication at the top of the genre's periodicals.
    Then Mr. Vermont strapped me to the chair and made me listen to Porcupine Tree. The glistening Midtown nighttime view out the 27th floor window deadened the pain (well, added a nice visual to some pretty damned good music, is more like it). (Gez, gotta remember ta be more open minded`... bringing it back on-topic over here. heh heh heh.)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  16. Pewsterbaby

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Comeback of the year. You two had me in stitches today.

17. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +914 / 4 / -16

#12 Jersey

I've never been able to whistle, but I'm guessing you could teach us all how to blow...

18. PP2

PP2 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +584 / 5 / -4

#12 Jersey

Ok I guess this thread isn't going anywhere. It wasn't my intention to start something like this so hopefully one of the mods can close this thread soon.

19. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,609 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

If you like British rock "journalism" (i.e., silly gossip-mongering), be my guest. My magazine already was in existence a full 19 years before that corporate cash-grab appeared -- with a cover price exceeding $15. I would expect that chunk of change to get you "big, glossy and heavy." Substantive content is another matter entirely.

20. Pewsterbaby

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yes, I do like snooty Brit Rock journalism & gossip mongering. Chris Welch & Everett True to name a few. Rock is about male posturing and talking shiit. Style over substance is also a mantra. And magazines with large pricetags are like hot stuck-up chicks. If someone or something THINKS they're worth that much and can get paid like that, well, it translates to the buyer's bloated sense of self worth as well.

And Tunescribe, THAT'S the essence of Rock & Roll.
    Like Paul Stanley says - "YOU listen to Emerson Lake And Palmer, not me."

just kidding. I'm in your corner all tha way. Jus' keepin' it real with the other side of the coin over here. I enjoy our encounters wholeheartedly. Hey, you need a quality control agent up there? (<< Ohh, see now? restrain yourself already, pewsterbaby. gawd. no self control.)