Welcome to PatsFans.com

I've Been Stereo-Typed!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jul 27, 2014.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Last evening, I pulled into a gas station and asked the attendant to fill my tank. The station was down the street from my dad and where I grew up.

The attendant leaned toward my window and said, "this town is getting very wierd". So I asked him what he meant and he said very softly, "too many blacks!" And I smiled at him and said "Oh".

The guy then said "I have to be careful who I say that to these days" and I replied, "Yes, you do"

Finally, the attendant said, "I saw your shamrock and I knew I could say it". (I was wearing a shirt I was given at a golf tournament that had a shamrock on it). So I said, "Hey, everyone has a right to their opinion even if it's racist!"

And the guy smiled at me as if I was supporting him....he didn't seem too bright and I don't waste my time lecturing strangers.

I just thought it was funny for him to stereotype me.......because of a shamrock! Are all Irish-Americans assumed to be racists?

I should have told him to invest his earning in getting some teeth....the guy only had about 3!

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

That's an old stereotype that some believe to this day. Boston area has a history of blacks not allowed in some Irish bars - some of it pretty recent. If you could thoroughly research it a lot of that stuff has a history in ethnic bars and pubs around the country. It's not really an Irish thing. When people are surrounded by others who share the same ethnic background prejudice towards others tends to come out. The Boston area in general has bad tales of anger towards blacks. The Central Americans in this country are very prejudiced towards blacks and vice versa in urban schools.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Racism between minorities is never mentioned (there is plenty of it) the only racism you will ever hear about is The White Racist.
    All other racists are off limits.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +683 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

When I first met my estranged uncle, and he was surprised to learn that I spoke German fluently. He assumed I was a Neo-Nazi like he was and launched into a diatribe, in German, about all manner of things, not realizing that I was actually Jewish like the rest of my "Lithuanian" family.

I think the fact is that racists are increasingly marginalized in this country and when they find a glimmer of hope that they can unwind with someone who might be of like mind, they go off.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

I've had people say stuff like this to me before as well. All I do is smirk and move along.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

Heard a story when I went to college recounted by a guy who was modern orthodox, ended up being the (later disgraced) first director of the Holocaust Museum.

Anyway, he tells this story of a respected rebbe eating in a restaurant with his wife, who was blonde. He heard gossipy comments around him, and said, "Oh you have not met my wife, ____, daughter of Reb _____ ..." and Reb ____ was this influential Lithuanian rebbe.

Yeah everybody can be prejudiced even against "their own."

Here and elsewhere, I often see the case that can be summed up thus:

"No no, you're racist for noticing racism!"

I think it's an outgrowth of the fortress mentality among die-hards. It leaks out into the larger community. Dudes. Just let it go. It'll come out okay.

Anyway, @PR, you showed more restraint than I think I might have... depending on how much time I had on my hands that day :)

PFnV

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

You should be glad, PR. Think of how angry it would have made you to think that a guy making minimum wage as a gas station attendant might have been able to afford dental work. Like you always tell us, poor people aren't supposed to be able to afford things that the middle class can afford. What incentive would he have to work harder if he could access medical care enough to take care of his teeth while working a minumum wage job?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

:) We see the world so differently, Nikolai.

I think that the racists are getting much more comfortable in this country today.....and they no longer have any fear of "going off," for they presume that anyone who looks like they do agrees with them.

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Popular One Today,
    Are muslims racists ?

10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

Sure Harry. Every muslim is a racist. Every one of them. Whatever you say.

11. SB39

SB39 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

I bet that just made you fightin' mad!! And you put your Guinness in the cup holder and socked him one!! :D

12. SB39

SB39 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

You have got to be kidding. Anyone who publicly espouses a belief that even borders on racism gets totally excoriated.

Sure you get the occasional wink-and-nod ******* like this guy at the gas station but saying racists are "much more comfortable in this country today" compared to the past is one of the most brainless things I have seen in this forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

I asked if they were, they are in the news a lot, I know many of them (NOT ALL) are Anti Semites I was wondering how they felt about different races. Isn't it strange that the "good ones" never seem to have anything to say when the bad one's kill, especially when it comes to Israel?

I used to tell my wife we were going to convert to Islam so she wouldn't be able to drive the car anymore and she would have to do what I told her to do or I would take her out in the yard and throw rocks at her.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  14. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

Life's short, Harry.
    [​IMG]

15. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +683 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Heh, well, I've seen a lot more racism since moving here to CT than I saw in Virginia Beach, but I attribute that to the mosaic culture here. That said, I think you might just be more sensitive to what's being said and done today versus years past.

For example, when I think of "old school racism", I think of my trip to Moyock, NC when I was working as an electrician helper fifteen years ago. It sounds like the start of a joke, but it was a Filipino, a Chinese guy, a black guy, and a Jew (me) in the van. The Chinese guy was driving and I was sitting in the front seat. We were trying to find a new development and got lost on the county roads. We happened upon a construction site and went to ask for directions.

They just looked at us and finally one guy sauntered over and looked past the Chinese guy at me (the lone white guy) and simply said, "I suggest y'all go back from whence you came". We made haste.

The point is this. The KKK and people who supported them used to be pretty active in southeast Virginia sixty-some years ago, but as the Hampton Roads urban and suburban areas grew in size, they got pushed out and marginalized, settling mostly across the line in North Carolina. By the time I was a kid, things had changed dramatically, but if you wanted to get a taste of what it used to be like, it was a 30-45 minute drive south into the country. It's not hard to see that times have changed.

I grant you that as the country becomes increasingly polarized politically, you might see a spike in membership in extremist groups, to include the KKK. I wouldn't call that indicative of the culture in this country. As hard as it is to believe (if you spend a lot of time on this forum), political partisans and extremists make up a very small percentage of the population.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

17. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

I can't believe with that set-up, the punch-line was that bland. I mean, props for menacing and stuff like that, but that guy did not have his racist wits about him.

18. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

Harry, I've never argued that anti-semitism is not alive. To the contrary.

19. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +683 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

If you're talking about my story, yeah, would have been better to be there. We had no idea this guy was going to say THAT to us. We figured he was just going to give us the directions but when THAT came out, it was...surprising.

20. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

Yeah don't get me wrong Nik, good story. I just thought for a guy like that you were a rolling target of opportunity for the pre-menace ridicule approach. He's probably the guy in the local neo-confederate troop they send on beer runs.