PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's time to REBUILD. What's your plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I think it became evident after this game that the Pats simply ran out of healthy untired players. Why else would a guy like Eric Alexander be asked to cover deep? The Pats need at least 2 legit corners. Samuel is one of them. They need to draft another.

Losing Seau and Rodney for this game doesn't show up on the scoresheet of course but those were huge loses. Addai was getting too many big runs on the inside mainly because we had to shift Vrabel outside and thus lost some quality tackling ability in the middle.

The Pats also need to add another RELIABLE receiver that can get separation into the mix. Brady had to force that throw in the end because nobody was open. Caldwell dropped a couple of catchable balls that could have turned into TDs. I'm not going to vilify Caldwell because he has been a trooper but we definitely need to UPGRADE over him. And who knows if Troy is gonna hang em up.

So we need CB, LB, WR. And maybe look for an LT to upgrade over Light if he is available. The Pats need depth all over the place. And they also need a successor to Harrison who has not been able to stay healthy lately and also isn't getting any younger.

Free agents I'd go for are Briggs and Stallworth. I'd also resign Samuel to make sure we keep that piece of the puzzle. Hobbs did not look like a #1 out there and Samuel seemed to be the only guy who could cover anyone.

Sure the Pats hurt themselves with penalties and that partly cost them the game. But the fact also remains that we could not stop the Colts with our D in the second half and we could not sustain drives to kill the clock when we had possession with a 3 point lead and the chance to put the game away.

So that's what I think we need to do this offseason. We can't afford to be passive in the free agent game any longer. What would be your BLUEPRINT to rebuild?

Well it's time to say goodbye to Teddy, Rodney, and maybe Geno Wilson. We haven't had healthy safeties for who knows how long. We could also use a reliable WR. Banta Cain should only be a situational type LB. It's obvious teams keyed on him and attacked his side of the defense. He's proven that he CAN NOT hold the point of attack and surrenders too much ground. I'm proud that they went this far this season with the suspect talent the played with. It's time to get some athletic as well as "smart" team first oriented players.

The time is now, Brady isn't getting any younger.

We already did rebuild. That was what this year was all about. We are going into NEXT year a rebuilt team.

I think we already have a good receiver in the making in Chad Jackson. I'd like to see maybe a key free agent signing of a deep threat though (whomever is available because it was obvious that losing Branch hurt our deep chances this year). I love Bruschi but he's aging and is also still recovering from a stroke. Like the thread starter said, I'd love to see Briggs on the squad next year. The number one spot we need to concentrate on is cornerback though. Rivers wasn't far off when he said that Hobbs is the worst in the league. I'd keep Hobbs for kick return purposes and maybe back-up if someone at corner gets hurt. But we need to improve the cornerback position either through the draft or free agency.

I would love to see brady get that shoulder repaired.

Too much work and pain ... so what if he misses part of the season.

I keep saying this he owes us nothing...they have all given us a ton.

We need young LB's, a young stud SS, and a stud CB.
We can get 3 of these in our 1st 3 picks if Pioli is on and we will.

get LBs, CBs, WRs, possibly a tackle

We already did rebuild. That was what this year was all about. We are going into NEXT year a rebuilt team.

I'd disagree. We had a partial rebuild but it's obvious that there are still holes to fill. For example once Rodney goes down we have no safeties.

When we lost Seau we had to play an unproven Alexander at LB who got burned for a big pass play that set up the last Colts TD.

We lost Deion Branch to free agency and we haven't replaced him yet.

If you think we are still smelling like roses and don't need to rebuild I'd like to know what rose tinted glasses you are wearing.

Well it's time to say goodbye to Teddy, Rodney, and maybe Geno Wilson. We haven't had healthy safeties for who knows how long. We could also use a reliable WR. Banta Cain should only be a situational type LB. It's obvious teams keyed on him and attacked his side of the defense. He's proven that he CAN NOT hold the point of attack and surrenders too much ground. I'm proud that they went this far this season with the suspect talent the played with. It's time to get some athletic as well as "smart" team first oriented players.

The time is now, Brady isn't getting any younger.

exactly right

Im not wearing rose tinted glasses, im just looking at this from the other side of the arguement. I think that with how we started the season, with all the turmoil in the recieving corps, the MLB question mark, the lack of a decent play caller, etc., the patriots had a great season. We worked out a lot of the kinks we had MID-SEASON, and made it to within 4 points or the superbowl.

Im not saying we didnt get outplayed in the 2nd half tonight, and im not saying we dont have holes to fill, but this team far exceeded my expectations that I had for them this (which I liked to think of as a "rebuilding") season.

I wouldn't say rebuild, but clearly we have some holes. I like were we are at WR. That's not to say we couldn't add a veteran WR or draft pick. I think clearly our main needs are at DB and LB. I think the offense is in good shape.

Tedy is under contract for another year. I'm not sure what his cap is but it's got to be relatively low. THere's no reason to bounce the guy.

However, I do think it's time to find his replacement either through the draft of FA. I'm not sure they can keep Samuel, if not, someone just as good (and who isn't on the wrong side of 30) needs to be brought in through FA. Then draft a couple more corners.

I see two things working in our favor:

1-We have two 1st round picks, and have shown the ability to turn players taken later into solid starters.

2-Plenty of cap room to have a go in free agency, depending on what happens with Samuel.

The Patriots were rebuilding in 2006.

They were rebuilding in 2005.

They were rebuilding in 2004.

They were rebuilding in 2003.

They were rebuilding in 2001.

They were rebuilding in 2000.

(But not 2002...)

Last edited:
I wouldn't say rebuild, but clearly we have some holes. I like were we are at WR. That's not to say we couldn't add a veteran WR or draft pick. I think clearly our main needs are at DB and LB. I think the offense is in good shape.

I'd say that Caldwell is NOT the answer. If you don't realize that you were not watching the key plays and DROPS of this game.

The Pats need at least one receiver that can consistently get separation. They have not replaced Branch with that type of player. They have replaced Givens with a similar possession type of player.

Nobody said the Pats did not just have a great season. They did. But it becomes evident in the postgame to see where the critical holes are.

Rebuilding doesn't necessarily mean "we're going to go 6-10", rather it means we URGENTLY need to reload our holes. And we need to rebuild this team to match up competitively with the Colts next year because they will still have Wayne, Harrison, Addai, and Manning.

We need to counter that with a consistent offense of our own and a deep stingy defense that can stay on the field with them through the second half.
I think another problem with our defense in the second half is that we could not "quite get" to Manning and that allowed him to convert those 3rd and longs that killed us.

We need to acquire defensive talent that can hang with the Colts receivers longer WITHOUT holding and committing penalties. We also need to get an ILB that will shut down that inside run with Addai. Losing Seau hurt us probably more than we realized this game.

Last edited:

I agree we are looking pretty good on offense and defense where we need a little help.....This was a good season and we can build from there....

I'd say that Caldwell is NOT the answer. If you don't realize that you were not watching the key plays and DROPS of this game.

The Pats need at least one receiver that can consistently get separation. They have not replaced Branch with that type of player. They have replaced Givens with a similar possession type of player.

Nobody said the Pats did not just have a great season. They did. But it becomes evident in the postgame to see where the critical holes are.

Rebuilding doesn't necessarily mean "we're going to go 6-10", rather it means we URGENTLY need to reload our holes. And we need to rebuild this team to match up competitively with the Colts next year because they will still have Wayne, Harrison, Addai, and Manning.

We need to counter that with a consistent offense of our own and a deep stingy defense that can stay on the field with them through the second half.
I think another problem with our defense in the second half is that we could not "quite get" to Manning and that allowed him to convert those 3rd and longs that killed us.

We need to acquire defensive talent that can hang with the Colts receivers longer WITHOUT holding and committing penalties. We also need to get an ILB that will shut down that inside run with Addai. Losing Seau hurt us probably more than we realized this game.

Caldwell doesn't need to be the answer. He needs to be a good No. 2, which he is. Gaffney is a solid No. 3 as well. What concerns me is Chad Jackson has been MIA in the playoffs and hasn't been on the injury report. Not a real good sign.

Hmm let's see I would never get rid of tedy bruschi that is just stupid that man is a warrior who took less money to stay in new england! If we cut him we are destroying the very foundation we have built thru bb and Sp. Although if he bows out i will be the first to tip my hat to wht he brought to the pats and instantly pray he would stay as a assistant coach to the defense and his heir replacement. Paul P

The Samuel situation is very tough for me But i am a strong believer that the game is one in the trenches as we saw against the colts, I'd give him top 10 money but nothing ridiculous, Last thing we need to do is throw the whole bank roll to a 5 ft 8 over achieving cornerback who has get rich to this tatted on himself. Franchise him and trade him to the redskins for the 6th overall pick. It can easily happen. then i would take that pick and try to get brady a gift wrapped present in no need to say his name we all know the stud from GT, I hear he is a great character team first guy amazing measurables. Imagine TO in his prime with the character and heart of a troy brown this is that kid and we need to make him a Pat. I really like chansi stuckey as our new slot reciever that kid is scary quick fast in and out of his breaks reliable hands and fearless over the middle.

Trade Marquise Hill for a 4th or fifth round draft pick, I'd draft laron landry if we had the chance to patrol our secondary, only free agent i would attempt to pursue is kevin kurtis like that kid alot. We need to continue to build thru the draft we will not get donte stallworth, he seems perfectly happen in philly not gonna happen, unlike us unfortunately they find a way to keep their key players. Plus they will save alot of cap by trading kearse bank on that.

I would like for us to do what i been wanting to do instead of drafting tight ends and safety in later rounds grab some linebackers. I mean look at james anderson i wanted the pats to get him so bad along with a kamberon wimberly but alas. there is alot of lb talent in this draft and think we can get real young real fast and now is the time.

I'm not giving up on maroney i hate to agree with nem but we don't run any plays to match his strong points. no end arounds no small short passes hardly any screens. plus some time in the strength and conditioning program will help him build more upper body strength to break those arm tackles he seems to get caught in, or it will put him on ir like our safeties jk.

wow this is getting long o well here i'm gonna get crucified maybe draft the miami safety merriweather that kid has taylor written all over him if rodney can knock some sense in him and bb can teach him to fly right he could be a mainstay in our secondary for years.

but o well wishlist in no order LBs, safeties, cbs, wr's Get young fast. If we can't keep mcdaniels my only hope is he doesn't raid or staff being he'd be a damn raider i really wanna keep him though because one day when bb retires i want his influence still in place not a fresh mind screw that!

Lots for the FO to consider:

• Retirements
  • Player performance evaluations
  • Contract negotiations
  • Team weaknesses
Where to prioritize? Aren't they all intertwined?

Retirements -- Bruschi? Troy? Replacements on board?

Evaluations/Weaknesses:

OL -- run blocking needs work. Maroney needs a hole to succeed. Dillon makes yds on his own...but career is ending soon. Pass blocking is sound. It's all great for Brady -- but not for Maroney.

WR -- clearly need another go-to for Brady. Seeking a #1 WR is asking for the moon for next season (but won't hurt to try). Add a quality wideout to pair with Reche...while dropping Gaffney down. Jackson is an enigma.

TE -- prioritize Graham...and have Brady work with Watson and the rookie.

DL -- set

LB -- serious weakness. Either too slow, old, or unathletic. Upgrade is an understatement at both OLB and ILB.

S -- Harrison will return at full strength...but career also coming to a close. Wilson's play has declined and is oft-injured. Sanders is a keeper. Playmaking Safety needed now.

CB
--Samuel's a no-brainer. Hobbs is a solid football player. Draft early a coverage CB as competition and/or upgrade. Priority area.

Overall weakness on D -- too slow and unathletic at Safety and LB. RBs and TEs will feast.

Overall weakness on O -- #1 WR

Just a top of the head opinion...

oh God, we lost a conference championship game by FOUR POINTS, it's time to rebuild...

effing chill, we lost a football game that was fairly called to a hungrier team... it sucks, I am pissed and hurt, but get over it... we are not rebuilding, we are a top 5 NFL team. Chicken Littles and told-ya-sos just go away. It's not time to RE build

seriously, there are only about a dozen people on this board who should even be posting and I'm not one of them, I am just tired of the effing nay-sayers/fair-weathers/told-ya-sos

vive le Pats!

Not a fair weather fan in anyway shape or form i live smack in between eagle and steeler country. I just believe in competing after watching the game tonite it sickened me to see our guys wear out. I'll root for the team no matter what but while we have the best QB and D line why not upgrade the entire roster. Shoot we had At the time my favorite qb Drew Bledsoe with some weaponry, ben coates, shawn jefferson, terry glenn, Vincent brisby, and we give Tom the much appreciated gaffney, caldwell and the ageless brown. I agree Branch crossed the line and trust me no one wanted his ass shipped out more than me. The month before however i purchased a autographed branch helmit that i actually still keep on display I will repsect the patriots whether there 1-15 or 16 and 0. Just like winning more than losing.

seriously, there are only about a dozen people on this board who should even be posting and I'm not one of them, I am just tired of the effing nay-sayers/fair-weathers/told-ya-sos

It's not about re-building -- because a core still exists. It's really about defining your strengths and weaknesses -- and strengthening BOTH. And nothing less...

Super Bowl participant or not, work needs to be done. And that to me is the gist of this thread. Glad BB and Pioli feel the same way.

Shed a tear, experience some heartache, and vent some emotions. Why not -- it's been a long season. But let's get back on the horse quickly...time to move forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down