PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's Tedy Bruschi Day

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Tedy is getting inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame today at 5PM.

Congrats to my all time favorite Patriot.

BTW, Gil Santos is also getting inducted too. Another well deserved induction.

Go get the ball Tedy.

Congrats and well deserved.

Tedy is getting inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame today at 5PM.

Congrats to my all time favorite Patriot.

BTW, Gil Santos is also getting inducted too. Another well deserved induction.

Mine too ... :rocker:

Bruuuuuuuuuuschi!

I was at the U of A when he and Desert Swarm was there and came back to Boston when he was drafted.

He may never be in the NFL Hall of Fame but he certainly brought an attitude, passion, and intelligence that the Patriots were very fortunate to grab and keep throughout his entire career.

He studied Communications at the U of A as well and you could tell that he was probably going to be in television back in the mid 90s.

Bear Down Arizona and Tedy....

Welcome home Bruschi!!

Though this only makes it "official".

It feels like hes always been there imo.

My dog's name is Tedy B...

He is very deserving, however the efforts of Gil should not be minimized.. in the old days when most of these games were blacked out, he provided a lifeline..

I loved Tedy Bruschi, my second favorite Pat's player during the Dynasty Era (behind Brady). I will wear my Bruschi jersey tonight in his honor. What a warrior Bruschi was, always making big plays.

I'm a big Santos fan as well, I always think championships when I hear his voice.

Who's bringing the snow for the celebration?

wooooooo :rocker:

Interesting retrospective with some long forgotten tidbits - though I could have done without being reminded of the name of the replacement at the very end of the column:

Curran: Bruschi one-of-a-kind in Pats locker room

Bruschi was a bit player on the Patriots team that went to the Super Bowl that year, a guy trying to carve a niche as an undersized defensive end or rush-linebacker.

In 1997, with Parcells gone, he was still trying to carve a niche. And -- to my eyes -- it was that of enforcer. Seeming to understand he was on the end of the roster, Bruschi clubbed anything that moved.

In the Patriots second game of the 1997 season, Bruschi picked up two penalties in the final three minutes of the half -- one on a kickoff return, the other on a late hit applied to Jim Harbaugh. The Patriots won easily but I remembered thinking then that Bruschi played like a little bit of a moron.

But Pete Carroll -- who took over for Parcells in 1997 -- did wonders for Bruschi’s career because Carroll’s attacking defensive style was right up Bruschi’s alley. Bruschi needed to have his energy channeled to a responsibility and that responsibility became being a utility guy and playmaker.

As the seasons passed and the Patriots swooned under Carroll, the team got worse but Bruschi got better and smarter. He wasn’t lacking discipline or effort -- though he could be a pain-in-the-ass in the locker room back then -- and when Bill Belichick took over, a second godsend had arrived.

Belichick famously told his personnel people to tell him what a player could do, not what he could not. With Bruschi, a player who hadn’t been able to get it done at defensive end with great regularity because of his size, Belichick looked past that and found a kid who could read plays, could use quickness and agility at the second level, could play with nuance and go off-the-script without compromising the rest of the defense.

He also believed Bruschi was tough enough to play middle linebacker in his 4-3 defense when Ted Johnson went down during the 2001 season. And that was the position Bruschi played for the Patriots when they won their first Super Bowl that year.​

Bruschi Hall induction on Monday - espnBoston - Mike Reiss

“What he’s brought to this organization is very, very special – both his performance and the personality and the character that he brought to the team and the success that we’ve had during his time here has been remarkable,” Belichick said. “He’s played a huge, huge part in it all the way through.”

Belichick then reflected on Bruschi entering the league as a third-round pick of the Patriots in 1996, when Belichick was a defensive assistant.

“We all know the story of his conversion from being a defensive linemen – the two-time Pac-12 Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, all that – to becoming a guy that had a totally, totally different role in the National Football League. The success that he was able to have doing that, relative to what he did in college, both at very high levels but at very different jobs, it’s very unique.

“The energy, enthusiasm, competitiveness that he brought to this organization; the success that we had, that he was such a huge part of – there’s no way that that could be understated. To me, he’s one of the all-time greats that’s ever played here and that’s in large part because of the championships that were won while he was a part of it. There have been other great players but the team success that he was such a huge part of is really what it’s all about. His impact on that cannot be understated.”​

Congrats to TB and Gil for the induction. Any idea if this will be aired on TV (ie: ESPN, NFL Net, CSN New England, NESN)? I know it'll be streamed online but I'm hoping for TV coverage. Thanks in advance.

Bruschi and Faulk are my binkies. Congrats Theo. ;)

Vince Wilfork fondly remembers Tedy Bruschi's championship legacy | Jeff Howe | Boston Herald

"They laid the foundation," Wilfork said. "They showed what it took to win ball games. They showed what it took to come down in the fourth quarter and be fighting and have the willpower to win. He never gave up. I don’t care what the score said. He always played until the last whistle, and I always respected him for that. He showed me the way."

Wilfork was asked if he thought Bruschi should be considered the greatest Patriot of all-time.

"He’s one of the best," Wilfork replied. "I’ll tell you, it’s a coin toss between him and Troy Brown. They were unbelievable on and off the field. Anything dealing with team, they were all for it. You saw Troy playing defense at times. Bruschi wasn’t the biggest guy. He wasn’t the fastest guy. But all of his plays seemed to come at critical moments in the games where we need a play and, boom, Tedy comes with an interception or, boom, Tedy comes with a big hit or something. Those are the things you remember."

Wilfork closed it out by saying, "When I finish and retire, (I can) say, ‘You know what? I played with that guy.’ He was a special guy."​

To answer my own question CSN NE is running Felger & Mazz who are at CBS Scene right now... taking phone calls instead of covering TB and Gil getting inducted. NESN is running infomercials or something. Pathetic that two channels dedicated to New England sports yet no live coverage at all.

(And you'd think ESPN would show something given Bruschi works for em)

Throwin on the jersey!

To answer my own question CSN NE is running Felger & Mazz who are at CBS Scene right now... taking phone calls instead of covering TB and Gil getting inducted. NESN is running infomercials or something. Pathetic that two channels dedicated to New England sports yet no live coverage at all.

(And you'd think ESPN would show something given Bruschi works for em)

Official Website of the New England Patriots | Home

My dog's name is Tedy B...

I named my son Tedy Bruschi... Tedy Bruschi Zone.

All right, all right, I don't have any sons and my wife veto'd Tedy for the daughter... biatch! ;)

Tedy was actually a decent possibility had she been a boy. The name was growing on the wife before we found out we were having a girl.

Loving it.

--" I learned mental toughness from my mother. She could look Bill Belichick in the eye, and he would crumble".

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back