Welcome to PatsFans.com

It's really starting to get to me...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by fleabassist1, Jan 27, 2007.

1. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Affirmative action... reverse racism at it's best.

One of my close friends, who happen's to be black, was accepted into WVU for being black because they want a more racially balanced school.

He is also receiving help from the school because he is black - not because he may or may not be poor, or not because he struggles with school - he is actually a really good student, and his family is VERY well off. He told me that he is being offered extra help and money which is not offered to white students - simply because of their skin. I wonder how long my skin color is going to hinder me from getting an education moreso then others?

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

Ah, if only you were black, think of all the opportunities you would have. Don't let your envy get the better of you.

3. fleabassist1

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I would have an instant education ... = more oppertunities.

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

fleabassist, in all honesty, our country is not colorblind. Institutional racism is still very common. Cronyism and nepotism almost always benefit white people more than black people, because white people are more often in positions of power. The low budget affirmative action is not the best solution to that problem. The best solution would be to ensure that all schools offer high quality education, that poor kids have equal access to tutors and computers, the poor kids can get daycare, and that schools and corporations spend the money necessary to go out, find, and recruit qualified minorities. But, that's too expensive. So, what's left? Low budget affirmative action, which is to just give some favoritism to blacks based in part of their skin color. It's a rotten solution to a big problem, but it's better than nothing.

5. fleabassist1

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I totally agree to that 100%. I understand what AA is for, I just don't agree with it at all. All of this preaching for social equality - why not spend the money to make everyone equal.

Sooner then later we will all be the same color anyways.

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

I agree. I would support tax increases (or redirection) to create a more equal society. The right-wing has a history of cutting programs until they're ineffective and then saying, "See, the program doesn't work." That's what they did with AA.

Yeah, but that's probably a few millennium away.

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Iread an article of a uni-race world and it broke down the mathematics of how long it might take. The number of generations was incredibly small - something like 12 or 13 which would make the total time 240 or 260 years.

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

That's pretty amazing. But, I suppose it's plausible. I have two great nephews who are half black and all of them (6 in total) are half Christian/half Jewish (though none are religious). A couple more generations, and it seems pretty likely the mix will get even greater.

9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

This kind of thing perpetuates racism. It's the kind of thing that will push borderline racists to the racist side of the fence. The government can't change what people think, however hard it tries. Companies can hire a few minorities for show if they want then hire whoever they want. As Cosby said, minorities would be better served by getting their families and commumities to value education more than waiting for the next handout and complaining about it.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,115 / 3 / -10

I know many Blacks in your home town Patters that consider Affirmative Action insulting and degrading, they see it as the White Do-Gooder sending them the message that they can't accomplish the job on their own, they are only there because of the color of their skin.

Can you imagine what it must feel like to walk onto a new job on monday morning knowing the only reason you got this job was because of the color of your skin and knowing that all those people that you are now working with know it too. That is a disgusting thing to do to another human being, the Liberal do-gooding people Black and White should hang their heads in shame.

If a company can't find a qualified Minority to do "the job" they should keep looking until they do because they are out there, the Minority's have had over Forty Years to get it together there is a whole new generation of them since the Civil Rights Act passed.

There are just as many whites that "don't qualify" and they get rejected right along with the "unqualified black".

Affirmative Action is now "INSULTING AND DEGRADING" to Balck People all it does is tell the Black Person "You Can't Make It On Your Own"

I would never allow my child to go through that, it would make me cry.

11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

I guess it depends on your frame of reference. My Father in Law retired in the early 70's, he was an engineer. HE went to Liberia to work at a hospital out in the bush run by Christian missionaries. They also ran a medical school where they trained doctors and nurses, HE was in charge of the electrical system (they generated their own) the motor pool and the phone system.

During his time there he has a couple of kids working for his who he felt were good kids who deserved a chance to go to college (the rest of the guys were adults). When he returned to America he brought them over and paid for them to go to college.

They were stunned when they met black people in America. They couldn't believe how much energy they spent complaining about racism and discrimination rather than focusing on the opportunities they had.

You see Since they grew up in Africa, where they as black people they didn't feel like a minority because of their skin color (problems due to tribal affiliation were another matter altogether). They didn't feel the widespread discrimination perceived by American black people. They felt the principal problem of American Black people was that they were focused on the wrong things and needed to put more work into their schooling.

BTW they are both American citizens now and doing quite well.

Many times perception is reality.

12. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Oh, those lucky Black people get all the lucky breaks.

If only I wasnt white, i might have had a chance in America:rolleyes:

and those people in wheelchairs, why do they get all the best parking places?

nothing is worse than being a healthy, white, male!

*ok, ok, im not proud at my level of sarcasm this morning. the wife has put in her complaint and it is duly noted. Saturday morning with the kids, you know.....
    my apologies.

13. fleabassist1

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Oh no no no, dont get me started on handicap spaces. PEople in wheelchairs, people with broken legs - people who are handicaped sure, let them have that spot. Older people? Of course. I understand all of that, perfectly okay with me.

Now, those fattys are a different story. I personally think we should make you park farther away due to weight. For instance, I could park in the area designated for 150-199 pound people, etc.

:D Haha, I am kidding about that - but seriously, large people who MADE THEMSELVES THAT WAY do not deserve handicap spots. That is both taking the spot from the people that really do need it, and making their fat a handicap.

14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

I don't like Affirmative action as it is certifiable discrimination. However, I do support it's intentions, and would not abolish it in the near term. Eventually, when the playing field has levelled itself a bit more, it will serve no purpose. What I would like to see is AA reevealuated, so as to construct it in a form that better suits todays needs. If what Flea says is true, that simply being black gets you perks, then it's flawed. I think blacks, over the last 20+ years, have made some advances in society. There are more middle class, and upper class african americans than ever before. Granting those persons with aid is illogical, as it would both be better spent those who truly need it, and would serve to ease possible tensions from people like Flea, who see such wasted aid as being unfair since said recipients are his economic and social peers.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

don't misrepresent Flea's position on this. Flea was pecifically speaking of african americans who are not in need of financial aid or special perks. He was not tspeaking about poor people, or those who truly need such aid. If Paul Pierce's kid was applying for college, should he get financial aid or special privledges?

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

Don't let Real World or PFIEL see your post. They believe that when one cites personal experience, it's an example of liberalism. And, to your point, I have no doubt that someone who never had any opportunity at all would find that in itself satisfying, and they probably never dreamed of fighting for equality.

17. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

You get equality by showing that you are capable of doing a job - not by the government forcing someone to hire you. That goes for the small picture of an individual and the big picture of an entire race.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..............

There is nothing wrong with expressing your personal experiences. It's when you try to base an entire argument on "the chinese guy I sat next to on the train".

Get a clue.

19. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

The point is of course that they took their equality for granted and didn't worry about any naysayers, they were too busy realizing their dreams.

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

Well, Fraud World, I guess you got caught by your own nonsense. I agree with what you're saying, and I've never based anything I've claimed solely on my personal knowledge of people. Or, do you disagree with patsfan13 who in his post based his point solely on a personal experience. Let's see you wiggle your way out of this one. :ROFL: