PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's Official: Patriots Have the 2nd Pick of the 4th Round of 2015 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know someone said we should get a compensatory pick for Talib but are we expected to get anymore?

Draft OL,OL,LB,DL,DB with first 5 picks. Not necessarily in that order.....BPA

JMHO

If they want a WR, draft one later or/and sign one in FA.

I was repeating the prediction by Miguel here: http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=857

He calls for a single compensatory 3rd rounder based on his expert analysis and experience. It isn't official, so can't count on that pick.

I think re-signing Connolly isn't a bad move. Doesn't mean I don't want us to bring in other players who might be better. I like his positional flexibility. G/C/KR :)

We will surely talk about this a LOT in the days leading up to the draft, but looking at it quickly this there are a few things we can take away from it.

1. Add the expected comp pick and the Pats will have 3 picks in the 90-100 range
2. They will have 5 picks in the top 100
3. Having all those picks bunched in the 90-100 range will make it a lot easier for BB to trade one or more to move up if a player he really wants presents himself.

This more than any year in recent memory the Pats will have very few apparent needs, plus a very young roster with lots of good players coming back, there isn't much of a need for quantity in this draft. There IS a need for quality in certain areas.

Given what we know as of this moment, this is the off season where we might be better off winding up with just 3 or 4 high quality draft picks, that the usual 8 or 9 from all over the board. Remember the Pats not only have a deep roster coming back, they also have a number of guys like Gaffney who have been on the virtual red shirt program as well.

Iuputi would seem like an easy fix, but I doubt he'll be in the mix for cap reasons. The OL can afford 2 big contracts and not be a burden to the salary structure. Those to slots have already been taken by Solder and Volmer.

For that reason it would make a LOT more sense to upgrade the interior OL by investing heavily at the top of the draft for a low cost fix. Then by the time you have to make big investments in Stork and the yet to named #1 pick, it will be time to cut ties with Volmer and Solder. So once again you will have just 2 big contracts on the OL

According to http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2015-patriots-nfl-draft-picks the Patriots have the following draft picks:

Therefore (barring miscalculation on my part) the Patriots will pick:

1st Round (Assigned)
2nd Round (Assigned)
3rd Round (Assigned)
4th Round (Assigned)
4th Round (Via TB – Logan Mankins) Pick #2
6th Round (Via TB – Jonathan Casillas) Pick #2
7th Round (Via TEN – Akeem Ayers) Pick #2
7th Round (Via HOU) Ryan Mallett Pick #16
Plus any compensatory selections

Do we know how accurate that site has been in the past? I'm asking because my understanding is that the Mallett pick is a 2016 7th rounder, not a 2015 7th rounder. Has some new information come out since then?

Their own pick will be late 3rd round... they should get a compensatory 3rd rounder for Aqib Talib... and now this...

That is 3 picks clustered high 90's to around 100. I wonder where the value lies in the draft this year... do they make those picks or use either or both of the picks they can trade to move up in the 1st and 2nd rounds targeting a specific player. They must keep and make a pick using the compensatory pick.

I tend to like it when the team moves up like they did with Jones/Hightower/Gronkowski. As opposed to just staying put and picking what falls to you.

My personal approach:

- Consider using 1 of the 3 to trade up in either the 1st of 2nd round if an appropriate target is available. Examples: 1st + extra pick to move up for Eddie Goldman or TJ clemmings; 2nd + extra pick to move up for Malcolm Brown, Danielle Hunter, Cam Erving or Maxx Williams.
- Use 1 conservatively.
- Consider taking a shot with 1 on someone with risk but big upside. Examples: Noah Spence, Dorial Green-Beckham.

If we get the 3rd comp pick for Talib and we know we can't trade it, what would our 3rd and the early 4th we get from Tampa get us in terms of trade ups?
This is a pretty deep team as it is so I don't see how we use all these picks.
To me this seems like pretty decent ammo for trades up to grab specific players.

Now trade it for Josh Gordon in the off-season :)

Use the rest of the picks on the OL and a LB

If we get the 3rd comp pick for Talib and we know we can't trade it, what would our 3rd and the early 4th we get from Tampa get us in terms of trade ups?
This is a pretty deep team as it is so I don't see how we use all these picks.
To me this seems like pretty decent ammo for trades up to grab specific players.

According to the traditional draft trade chart, our 3rd plus the TB 4th gets you into the very late 2nd round. It might make more sense to use one or both of those picks to upgrade our 2nd rounder. Our 3rd a plus 2nd gets us to the late Middle of the 2nd (about pick 50) whilst using all three picks together gets us to about pick 40.

They can't trade a compensatory pick for Talib. It's against the rules.

1st round - OT

not sexy, but a necessity, IMO.

then, move Vollmer to guard.

Their own pick will be late 3rd round... they should get a compensatory 3rd rounder for Aqib Talib... and now this...

That is 3 picks clustered high 90's to around 100. I wonder where the value lies in the draft this year... do they make those picks or use either or both of the picks they can trade to move up in the 1st and 2nd rounds targeting a specific player. They must keep and make a pick using the compensatory pick.

I tend to like it when the team moves up like they did with Jones/Hightower/Gronkowski. As opposed to just staying put and picking what falls to you.

Though low, having picks in a bunchlike that is a big advantage. you can take the safe pick and take a flyer on two injured/or boom or bust guys without risking anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back