PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's Official: Patriots Have the 2nd Pick of the 4th Round of 2015 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've actually got the 2nd pick because the tiebreaker is only used to establish round one. For subsequent rounds, it rotates.

I know, it makes little difference.....

They've actually got the 2nd pick because the tiebreaker is only used to establish round one. For subsequent rounds, it rotates.

I know, it makes little difference.....

Thank you for that correction HoThor! I will edit the title now.

Their own pick will be late 3rd round... they should get a compensatory 3rd rounder for Aqib Talib... and now this...

That is 3 picks clustered high 90's to around 100. I wonder where the value lies in the draft this year... do they make those picks or use either or both of the picks they can trade to move up in the 1st and 2nd rounds targeting a specific player. They must keep and make a pick using the compensatory pick.

I tend to like it when the team moves up like they did with Jones/Hightower/Gronkowski. As opposed to just staying put and picking what falls to you.

It's almost guaranteed whoever we draft with that pick will be a stud, for some reason the picks we acquire via trades always work out.

It's almost guaranteed whoever we draft with that pick will be a stud, for some reason the picks we acquire via trades always work out.

Good that you put in the word "almost" there.

Wasn't Ras-I_Dowling at the very top of the 2nd round a pick we got in a trade?

Good that you put in the word "almost" there.

Wasn't Ras-I_Dowling at the very top of the 2nd round a pick we got in a trade?

Yes, though "picks acquired via a trade" is really too broad a term. Are they picks from a trade back? There's been plenty of notable misses there. Picks from trading into the future? Picks from trading a player?

Picks from trading into the future is probably the one with the best hit rate, though that is the grouping Dowling falls into.

Yes, though "picks acquired via a trade" is really too broad a term. Are they picks from a trade back? There's been plenty of notable misses there. Picks from trading into the future? Picks from trading a player?

Picks from trading into the future is probably the one with the best hit rate, though that is the grouping Dowling falls into.

So your point there was....?? :)

According to http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2015-patriots-nfl-draft-picks the Patriots have the following draft picks:

1st Round (Assigned)
2nd Round (Assigned)
3rd Round (Assigned)
4th Round (Assigned)
4th Round (Via TB – Logan Mankins)
6th Round (Via TB – Jonathan Casillas)
7th Round (Via TEN – Akeem Ayers)
7th Round (Via HOU) Ryan Mallett

The following pick have been traded away:

5th Round (Jonathan Casillas)
6th Round (Akeem Ayers)
7th Round (Greg Salas)

Therefore (barring miscalculation on my part) the Patriots will pick:

1st Round (Assigned)
2nd Round (Assigned)
3rd Round (Assigned)
4th Round (Assigned)
4th Round (Via TB – Logan Mankins) Pick #2
6th Round (Via TB – Jonathan Casillas) Pick #2
7th Round (Via TEN – Akeem Ayers) Pick #2
7th Round (Via HOU) Ryan Mallett Pick #16
Plus any compensatory selections

this link you provided says:

The Buccaneers will continue to pick either first or second in each round throughout the remainder of the draft, alternating between those two spots with the Titans. Tampa Bay currently owns its own pick in each round except the fourth, fifth and sixth. Thanks to prior trades, the team does have picks in each of those rounds, from the St. Louis Rams in Round Four, the Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots in Round Five and the Rams in Round Six

Just saying the linked-to story looks to be wrong. I agree the Pats pick from the Mankins trade will be the 2nd pick of the 4th round.

this link you provided says:

Just saying the linked-to story looks to be wrong. I agree the Pats pick from the Mankins trade will be the 2nd pick of the 4th round.

Read that again carefully, Gronkandez. The story is technically correct (although they conveniently omit the loss of their own #2 4th round pick to the Patriots).

The Buccanneers GET the Pats 5th rounder (which will be probably in the 30's).

The PATS get the TB 4th rounder.

I hate doing this especially when the season isn't even over (at least not for us) but...

What's the O-Line talent look like in this draft? (This just reminds me of the crap-shoot nature... you guys can pump a guy up to the high heavens and he could just be Greg Robinson-Randal or Eugene Chung... for that matter, Robert Gallery...)

Read that again carefully, Gronkandez. The story is technically correct (although they conveniently omit the loss of their own #2 4th round pick to the Patriots).

The Buccanneers GET the Pats 5th rounder (which will be probably in the 30's).

The PATS get the TB 4th rounder.

Ah, I see. I forgot about the 5th round pick.

According to http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2015-patriots-nfl-draft-picks the Patriots have the following draft picks:

1st Round (Assigned)
2nd Round (Assigned)
3rd Round (Assigned)
4th Round (Assigned)

That logan mankins trade is looking better and better....

I hate doing this especially when the season isn't even over (at least not for us) but...

What's the O-Line talent look like in this draft? (This just reminds me of the crap-shoot nature... you guys can pump a guy up to the high heavens and he could just be Greg Robinson-Randal or Eugene Chung... for that matter, Robert Gallery...)

That info is probably in the Draft Forum but what I will say is if they keep Revis that prevents the need for buring another high round pick on a corner. I have no problem selecting an interior lineman with a late first round pick.

Yeah I'm sort of feeling the late-first-round thing, but it all depends what's happening in the war room. Of course even for a late first round pick you can get a lot of later picks. There are always needs, but - general concept here - there are 20-something teams with more needs of the more dire variety, if not 30-something. That fact is how the Pats hang on or get richer, while teams trying to go worst-to-first can easily find themselves making it over .500 for a few seasons then collapsing back into the muck. I hate the "value" approach on draft day, and love it otherwise. This team seems to make many of its most savvy choices in the mid and low rounds.

I tend to like it when the team moves up like they did with Jones/Hightower/Gronkowski. As opposed to just staying put and picking what falls to you.

They also moved up for Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson.

Daniel Graham too, come to think of it. And trivially for Ty Warren.

That info is probably in the Draft Forum but what I will say is if they keep Revis that prevents the need for buring another high round pick on a corner. I have no problem selecting an interior lineman with a late first round pick.

Or how about waiting for that 3rd-4th round bonanza to get MULTIPLE OL picks?

Stork is a keeper and he went in the middle of the 4th. Fleming is also a keeper and he went very late 4th.

I might say 1st or 2nd round for a very good Tackle, but the 3rd/4th for maybe two Guards. 1st or 2nd Round for a WR would be nice.

Of course, BB will go for something completely unexpected like a 6th RB......

1st Round (Assigned)
2nd Round (Assigned)
3rd Round (Assigned)
4th Round (Assigned)

So we get #2's in the rounds after the (probable) #31's or #32s we give up in the rounds previous for Ayers and Casillas.

Basically, the Pats got those two very nice pickups for virtually nothing! (Really, the cost of moving down 3 or 4 spaces at the end of the 5th and 6th rounds).

Or how about waiting for that 3rd-4th round bonanza to get MULTIPLE OL picks?

Stork is a keeper and he went in the middle of the 4th. Fleming is also a keeper and he went very late 4th.

I might say 1st or 2nd round for a very good Tackle, but the 3rd/4th for maybe two Guards. 1st or 2nd Round for a WR would be nice.

Of course, BB will go for something completely unexpected like a 6th RB......

No I refuse to be patient (though I do like the idea of selecting 2 0r 3 guys later on as a plan B). The interior line has been the achilles heel of this team for as long as I can remember in the playoffs and they have been a sieve at times this year.
ps. what is Flemings position? All I know is he's good as a tackle eligible but not so much as RG, at least so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back