PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Its Official: Miami-Jets game flexed to 4:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
they flexed the game? fin *****es

Personally i like this. Pats will play without watching the scoreboard and not worrying about what else is happening elsewhere.
Trust me, mangini doesnt want pennington to beat him .its far bigger a deal than letting the pats in.

i really hope you are right...and you might be...if you visit the Jetsinsider Board, they're calling for Mangini's head (and assorted other body parts) in a basket and Talk Radio down here has gone over the edge...losing will probably make it his last game in the Meadowlands as HC of the NYJ...on the other hand, if his players are turning on him, as today's papers suggest, that might suit them just fine. I also hope that Brett Favre's professional pride might kick in big time when he realizes that he is probably playing his last NFL game...

Last edited:
It would of been nice to have the Jets/Miami stay at 2pm (Atlantic time) but to turn the negative into a positive, it should make for some dramatic moments for us Pats fans, as long as we can beat Buffalo.

It would of been nice to have the Jets/Miami stay at 2pm (Atlantic time) but to turn the negative into a positive, it should make for some dramatic moments for us Pats fans, as long as we can beat Buffalo.

Dramatic moments? Like what? Being screwed by Fat Eric and his bunch of no-hopers?

I think it's FOOLISH to worry about Mangini's motivation to win. It's there in spades. His job, his career, his self esteem, his reputation (what's left of it).

The issue of concern is the Jets players, any of whom who would like to see a competent HC in 2009 who could simply rationalize giving 80% instead of going all out. Or players simply demoralized by knowing that winning the AFCE was out and seeing JAX down by 17 points...

dramatic moments? give me a break. i don't want drama, i want us in the playoffs. this is the nfl focusing on one thing, ratings. they are going to hype the chad/jets showdown as if it were a Super Bowl...then, whatever happens to us and the Jets, they're going to hype the importance of the Ravens' winning for them to get in...

Guys stop the nonsense if the Pats had won one more winnable Game we wouldn't be talking about this. The reason why the Patriot Game is not flexed is becuase they DONT CONTROL THEIR OWN DESTINY! When last i checked the Dolphins and Ravens with a win gets in on Sunday. Flexing the Jets/Dolphins and Ravens/Jauguars is no NFL conspiracy against the N.E. Patriots as some would believe.:rolleyes:

I know we all want to worry about what's going to happen this weekend, but at the same time, these things tend to work themselves out. While it doesn't seem likely at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if no 11-5 team is left out of the playoffs. Maybe the Pats lose (let's hope not), but jacksonville (a physical team) might just come in and beat a team coming off a high win, or miami (who hasn't beaten any good team convincingly lately) just succumbs to the jets talent. It isn't unlikely for one of the 3 teams who could be 11-5 to lose this weekend, and maybe it all works out. Maybe I'm just being optimistic though

Guys stop the nonsense if the Pats had won one more winnable Game we wouldn't be talking about this. The reason why the Patriot Game is not flexed is becuase they DONT CONTROL THEIR OWN DESTINY! When last i checked the Dolphins and Ravens with a win gets in on Sunday. Flexing the Jets/Dolphins and Ravens/Jauguars is no NFL conspiracy against the N.E. Patriots as some would believe.:rolleyes:
We know that. Duh. But given the situation TODAY, the NFL didn't put it's best foot forward in competitiveness.

As Milwall soccer fans used to chant 'Nobody loves us and we don't care!'
I don't see the Jets throwing a divisional rivalry at home when the crowd is already on their cases - the fact that they may lose because they are terrible is a bigger worry. So the league made it hard on us; what else is new. We'll chew this up and spit it back in their faces as usual.

Why is it nonsense to ask the NFL to maintain the standards of competitive integrity?

Why is it too much to ask the NFL to move games like Balt-Jax which would not impact the other games?

If the Patriots went 16-0 we wouldn't be talking about this either, so your first point doesn't get us anywhere.

The Patriots may be the first 11-5 team to miss the playoffs.

11 wins, 5 losses. We've won enough games to at least ask the league to maintain the competitive integrity of the NFL.

Instead, Goodell is more worried about snow angels and injury reports.

As Milwall soccer fans used to chant 'Nobody loves us and we don't care!'
I don't see the Jets throwing a divisional rivalry at home when the crowd is already on their cases - the fact that they may lose because they are terrible is a bigger worry. So the league made it hard on us; what else is new. We'll chew this up and spit it back in their faces as usual.

Yeah. I mean, I guess we have to accept that what happens, happens. Such is life when you do not control your own destiny.

However, it will gall me FOREVER that we would have had to go 12-4 (12-4!!!) to get into the playoffs without help. Without our franchise HOF QB and too many other starters to count. 12-4 is a record which could easily get you homefield throughout in any other year. If that's the system at work, well, the system sucks. End of story.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about the players. They're professionals, they'll do their job just as any other day, probably more so knowing they still have a shot at the playoffs. Favre knows it might be his last game, ain't no way he's going down without trying to show some flare. At this point, Mangina isn't even thinking about the Pats. He's worried for his job. The Jets will come to play. But will it be enough?

Last edited:
I know we all want to worry about what's going to happen this weekend, but at the same time, these things tend to work themselves out. While it doesn't seem likely at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if no 11-5 team is left out of the playoffs. Maybe the Pats lose (let's hope not), but jacksonville (a physical team) might just come in and beat a team coming off a high win, or miami (who hasn't beaten any good team convincingly lately) just succumbs to the jets talent. It isn't unlikely for one of the 3 teams who could be 11-5 to lose this weekend, and maybe it all works out. Maybe I'm just being optimistic though

I believe it is unlikely, unfortunately.

Balt. is too good for the Jags and by 4:45 on Sunday, the Jets may realize they are out of the playoffs.

The change of time for the games makes it LIKELY in my opinion that the Patriots will be out even if they win.

Yeah. I mean, I guess we have to accept that what happens, happens. Such is life when you do not control your own destiny.

However, it will gall me FOREVER that we would have had to go 12-4 (12-4!!!) to get into the playoffs without help. Without our franchise HOF QB and too many other starters to count. 12-4 is a record which could easily get you homefield throughout in any other year. If that's the system at work, well, the system sucks. End of story.

11-5 in 2001 gave us a first round bye in the playoffs.

At this point, Mangina isn't even thinking about the Pats. He's worried for his job. The Jets will come to play. But will it be enough?

I agree. The man's job and career is still at stake, I'm really sure he's not thinking about spiting our coach.

We know that. Duh. But given the situation TODAY, the NFL didn't put it's best foot forward in competitiveness.

I think there is enough competitiveness there, the Ravens/Jaugars game have seruious Playoffs implications for the Jets Game. Jets win...Jauguars win Jets are in. As Football fans we are very biased most times. I bet if the roles were reversed and we were the Jets this game being flexed would have been just what the doctor ordered. I have no problems with week 17th Schedule.

The point that I take comfort in is this: Do ANY of the JESTS players or ANY of their coaches actually want Miami, led by JESTS castoff Pennington, to come into their house and beat them?

If for no other reason, I can see them clawing and fighting to keep a Chad Pennington led Miami team out of the playoffs because of how rediculous the decision to release him and hire Favre now looks in hindsight.

Everyone in the JESTS organization realizes in hindsight what a bad move this has been, and will, IMHO, do everything they can to lay an "L" on Miami, even if it means losing the playoff spot to New England.

New England will always be a target in some fashion or another for the NJJ's, but right now, this year, the problem is Pennington and his winning could be very bad for a great many jobs in the JESTS organization.

Other's mileage may, or course, vary, but that's how I see it. :)

I think there is enough competitiveness there, the Ravens/Jaugars game have seruious Playoffs implications for the Jets Game. Jets win...Jauguars win Jets are in. As Football fans we are very biased most times. I bet if the roles were reversed and we were the Jets this game being flexed would have been just what the doctor ordered. I have no problems with week 17th Schedule.

This makes no sense to me.

You're saying that if the roles were reversed, we'd be very happy at our game getting flexed.

Of course we would.

This would put our opposition at a competitive disadvantage!

That's precisely what we're saying, the NFL screwed us.

If the NFL had helped us, we'd be happy??!!

It seems you understand the logic perfectly but for some weird reason you have no problem with the schedule when you yourself admit it puts one team at a disadvantage based on the arbitrary decisions (and you can't argue this isn't arbitrary) of people at the NFL office.

The point that I take comfort in is this: Do ANY of the JESTS players or ANY of their coaches actually want Miami, led by JESTS castoff Pennington, to come into their house and beat them?

If for no other reason, I can see them clawing and fighting to keep a Chad Pennington led Miami team out of the playoffs because of how rediculous the decision to release him and hire Favre now looks in hindsight.

Everyone in the JESTS organization realizes in hindsight what a bad move this has been, and will, IMHO, do everything they can to lay an "L" on Miami, even if it means losing the playoff spot to New England.

New England will always be a target in some fashion or another for the NJJ's, but right now, this year, the problem is Pennington and his winning could be very bad for a great many jobs in the JESTS organization.

Other's mileage may, or course, vary, but that's how I see it. :)

What about the Jets letting down from realizing during the game they aren't going to make the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots