PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Its Official: Miami-Jets game flexed to 4:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the Jets players would tank should they learn they are out in mid game. Mangini OTOH ..................

This is the second year in a row the playoffs are in question, last year the Colts took a knee (read that how you want) to let the Titans in over the Browns.

Yeah, except the Colts were already in.

Well, the same is true if we all played at 1, to be fair.

That's why it probably would've been smarter for the Pats to play at 4. The Jets would have plenty to play for at 1.

Well, the same is true if we all played at 1, to be fair.

Right, I realize that, but if you have two other games going on, there's much less of a chance that you'll see two blowouts.

If you REALLY want to make this fair on everyone, you would bring Baltimore and Jax into the 4 pm slot.

Then everyone would be playing for their lives.

If the NFL ever argues that teams are faking it in preseason or laying down at the end of the year or fudging the injury report, I tell them to STFU! from now on, because they don't give a damn about competitive advantages and this proves it.

Tell me how why didn't they move ONLY the Ravens game??!!

Predicted this in some other thread... I don't hate it, because the Jets will have something tangible to play for (no matter how remote the chances that Jax beats Bal may be). There was no way the NFL was going to split the AFC East markets (New York, despite the Giants playing at 1, and, to a lesser extent, Miami, will be paying a lot of attention the Pats at 1, and vice versa).

Oh, and don't be confused about the term "flex". Technically, "flexing" only involves changes with the Sunday night game. The NFL has moved games between 1 and 4 PM for years and years and years now, long before the "flex" schedule came into play.

I will be taping BOTH games and if there seems to be anything fishy, you can be damned sure that it will be going to Arlen Specter and every other news outlet with an explanation of what I believe happened.
Why, are the Eagles in the AFC now?

Tell me how why didn't they move ONLY the Ravens game??!!
They would have had to move one NY team but they could have moved the Ravens and Giants. Then the Jets would have to try to win because the Ravens hadn't started yet.

Personally i like this. Pats will play without watching the scoreboard and not worrying about what else is happening elsewhere.
Trust me, mangini doesnt want pennington to beat him .its far bigger a deal than letting the pats in.

Well it's something better than nothing to have Baltimore playing at 4. Still would have made much more sense and fairness to have both AFCE games at 4 but I guess that is asking too much :rolleyes:

One thing going for us is that the media is really hammering Mangini right now. He is really on the hotseat for next Sunday. Even if Baltimore wins, ending the season with a win and a respectable 10-6, missing out on a tiebreak > Ending on a losing streak at 9-7 and letting Pennington beat you for the division, if you're Mangini.

Last edited:
That's why it probably would've been smarter for the Pats to play at 4. The Jets would have plenty to play for at 1.

Yeah, the best scenario, IMO is Jets and Pats play at one and the Ravens at 4.

That way makes the most sense and seems fairest to me.

But it's too late now and no one cares what I think anyway.

Personally i like this. Pats will play without watching the scoreboard and not worrying about what else is happening elsewhere.
Trust me, mangini doesnt want pennington to beat him .its far bigger a deal than letting the pats in.

The problem is Mangini's team sucks and the players will let down after their playoff hopes are shut out.

That's the problem right there.

I don't think anyone would tank.

I just think they'll be naturally let down.

Yes, I think this is the fear. Throwing, tanking, whatever. Naturally, there is a very real chance you just deflate. It's just human nature.

These are NFL athletes. Do people really think that the jets players aren't going to want to win. Favre doesn't want to lose his last game, and neither do other players on that team. It's a long offseason, and many players have incentive clauses as well. It is also in Mangini's best interest to win as many games as possible, since if he gets fired, more wins can only help him.

These are NFL athletes. Do people really think that the jets players aren't going to want to win. Favre doesn't want to lose his last game, and neither do other players on that team. It's a long offseason, and many players have incentive clauses as well. It is also in Mangini's best interest to win as many games as possible, since if he gets fired, more wins can only help him.

I didn't say the Jets aren't going to want to win. I said they'll be disappointed in not making the playoffs.

We always talk about offgames for the Patriots. Do the Patriots sometimes lay a dud because they don't want to win? Or is it because they are not emotionally right for the game?

We all know the answer to that.

The one upside is a lot of players are playing for themselves and their next contract, not for the picture on the helmet. And I do think The Jest is a more talented team than the Dolphins.

Forgive my cynicism, but I have seen this script before.

Week 17, 2002. Patriots win their 1 PM game, could clinch the AFC East as long as Favre can defeat Pennington in the 4 PM game. Alas, it was not to be, and the Patriots were sent home early for the winter.

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Specter won't care.

And since the Ravens game is now at 4, the jets can't tank.......

Thanks for pointing that out...it makes it a little easier to take...but it still sucks...though, the Jets/Fins is definitely the marquee showdown of the day...so if the aim is "money" and "viewers," I guess it's not a conspiracy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back