PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's official: Big papi blows

Well I think he's getting paid 10+ million to hit the friggin ball.
I would be more than happy to make $500,000 and look like I have no clue.

Baseball is a great game and it would be greater w/o guaranteed contracts for people who like the grub table a bit too much.

The guy who likes the grub table a bit too much almost single handedly won the Sox their first World Series in 80+ years. Show some god damn respect.

Good lord, what everyone says about us is true. We are, by far, the worst fans in the major leagues.

The guy who likes the grub table a bit too much almost single handedly won the Sox their first World Series in 80+ years. Show some god damn respect.

Good lord, what everyone says about us is true. We are, by far, the worst fans in the major leagues.

He didn't singlehandedly win them the World Series- Manny Ramirez, Bill Mueller, Trot Nixon, Pedro Martinez, Derek Lowe, and ugh even Curt Schilling had a huge hand in winning it as much as or more than Ortiz.

You are finding criticism to mean a lack of respect- there is nobody out there that doesn't respect him for his bat. However he does deserve criticism for not doing what he was brought back to do- hit the damn ball out of the park.

Last edited:
He didn't singlehandedly win them the World Series- Manny Ramirez, Bill Mueller, Trot Nixon, Pedro Martinez, Derek Lowe, and ugh even Curt Schilling had a huge hand in winning it as much as or more than Ortiz.

You are finding criticism to mean a lack of respect- there is nobody out there that doesn't respect him for his bat. However he does deserve criticism for not doing what he was brought back to do- hit the damn ball out of the park.

He's still making contributions that help the team win. Your own analysis of the team in 2004 shows that you should think that is enough. However you then go and contradict yourself. Just because he doesn't hit the ball out of the park like he used to doesn't mean he's useless. It's not like he goes 0-6 every night.

EDIT: And if it isn't for Ortiz, we don't come back against the Yankees and they go to the World Series instead of us.

Last edited:

WWBD ... :confused2:

He's still making contributions that help the team win. Your own analysis of the team in 2004 shows that you should think that is enough. However you then go and contradict yourself. Just because he doesn't hit the ball out of the park like he used to doesn't mean he's useless. It's not like he goes 0-6 every night.

EDIT: And if it isn't for Ortiz, we don't come back against the Yankees and they go to the World Series instead of us.

Believe whatever you want then, but you are ignoring the contributions of everyone else to trump up his contributions then.

He went 1/3 tonight with a walk too. He didn't strand a runner. His batting average since monday has reason around 30 points from around .200 to .230 so he is starting to show some progress. Now he is starting to get back his confidence

Believe whatever you want then, but you are ignoring the contributions of everyone else to trump up his contributions then.

No I didn't. Nowhere in this thread did I make the assertion that Ortiz is the best player on this team. Nowhere in this thread did I make the assertion that everyone else sucks. Baseball, like everything else, is a team sport. While some players will shine brighter than others (hence my post about Ortiz being an integral part in the Yankees comeback), the game is still decided by how the TEAM operates. Within the team, Ortiz is still making solid contributions. Is he his old "out of the park" self? No. But he's still good enough to help the team when the team needs him.

BUMP. :D I won't make anybody eat crow yet, but it looks as if Big Papi is starting to come around. He must be back on the juice. :rolleyes:

BUMP. :D I won't make anybody eat crow yet, but it looks as if Big Papi is starting to come around. He must be back on the juice. :rolleyes:

To be honest, that's the first thing I thought.
I hope I'm wrong of course.

Last edited:
Maybe he just got his eyes checked, two days later he starts to do better, could it be that he found something out to help him or the fact that his eyes were still good gave him a little confidence. When he isn't crushing every ball still you can't say he is back on juice, and it wouldn't help him that quick

Maybe he just got his eyes checked, two days later he starts to do better, could it be that he found something out to help him or the fact that his eyes were still good gave him a little confidence. When he isn't crushing every ball still you can't say he is back on juice, and it wouldn't help him that quick

Papi looked all washed up in April & May.
I also remember Jason Giambi in 2005. This is the year people believe that
he started the season off the juice. He had 5 home runs through the end
of June and everyone said that he was washed up. All of a sudden he bulked
up again and he hit 27 home runs over the next 3 months. People were saying
that he switched to HGH.

Ortiz appearance has not changed like Giambi, but hopefully his production
will continue.

Last edited:
It's all mental with him. I read that his father has been battling a serious illness since last fall and he is very close to his father.

3 run bomb to put the Sox up 3-1.

I thought it was pretty clear that I was being sarcastic when I said he was on the juice again.

Steroids? ... If he was on steroids he would look at lot more jacked/ripped and not as fat.

Papi's June Stats So Far

0.327 avg, 1.122 ops, 6 hr, 15 RBI

All the Papi Haters have gone into hiding, pretending to be Red Sox fans again.

Papi's June Stats So Far

what the hell kind of crap are you selling now? so if someone thought papi was done they aren't redsox fans now? give me a break. that's like saying your not a Celtic's fan because you think doc rivers is a lousy coach.:rolleyes:

Papi's June Stats So Far

Yeah - they're still having a tough time understanding why he wasn't traded for a bag of baseballs when his value couldn't have been lower.

They'll be just as puzzled should the Sox sign Jason Bay to a more affordable long term deal after out of the stratosphere of his recent tear.

They'll be just as puzzled should the Sox sign Jason Bay to a more affordable long term deal after out of the stratosphere of his recent tear.

Jesus, are you beating this dead horse again? We get it McLovin; if you were the GM, you'd just sit tight, not offer him a new deal and let him get to free agency so he can get bowled over by another team and walk.

One trick pony=you.

what the hell kind of crap are you selling now? so if someone thought papi was done they aren't redsox fans now?

Papi hit well the end of last season. Crappy fans like yourself started turning on him pretty much immediately, after only three or four weeks in a slump to start this season. The steroid accusations were also over the top.

Papi hit well the end of last season. Crappy fans like yourself started turning on him pretty much immediately, after only three or four weeks in a slump to start this season. The steroid accusations were also over the top.

i never turned on papi ok cement head. find a post where i did. you have a firm grasp of the ill logical and the stupid.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back