PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's official: Big papi blows

Let's get something straight: if Big Papi is done, it is because of a combination of age and wrist issues. Not steroids. He still looks the exact same as he did two years ago.

So his lack of bat speed and power is due to natural reasons? 3 seasons of total domination and then back to obscurity? Yeah, that seems normal. :rolleyes:

Let's get something straight: if Big Papi is done, it is because of a combination of age and wrist issues. Not steroids. He still looks the exact same as he did two years ago.

He's only 33, age isn't a factor yet. I think it might have a good deal to do with his weight than anything, it might have caused him to get old faster than it would have if he was slimmer.

Ortiz's situation is eerily similar to the Mo Vaughn deterioration. Vaughn was the same age when he had his first major injury, coincidentally to his arm too. After he came back he did OK but then got injured again and his health just went south.

So his lack of bat speed and power is due to natural reasons? 3 seasons of total domination and then back to obscurity? Yeah, that seems normal. :rolleyes:

Happened to Mo Vaughn.

He has not hit an HR since 9/22/08! This is supposed to be our slugger?! I do not dislike Ortiz, but he sucks and has sucked for a long time now.

Ortiz homered on 10/16/08 - A key hit in a memorable post season win for the Red Sox.

I can't speak to Ortiz' lack of production from November thru March, though :rolleyes:

Uh... yeah. Usually when you hurt your wrist the way he did, you're not able to swing a bat as hard as you once did. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Papi may be done, but I strongly disagree he was on roids. Look at how fat/chubby he is, roid users don't look like that. Steroids makes your muscles stiffer and makes you look leaner/muscular.

Not for everyone they don't.

It's the first week of May. Ortiz may be done, who knows, but it's still early fellas. Wait for the hotter weather and see.

Last edited:
do you have any proof he did roids? no you dont. nothing but speculation on your part. case closed.

Do you have any d*mn proof he did roids, no, nothign but speculation on your part, case closed

I hate the way Ortiz is producing right now as much of the next guy, but we are fans who are getting obsessed with him a month into the season. First off we are not the ones to be making accusations that he took steroids until someone more credible says something. Second who are we to say what the problem is, we don't know, just like it must be hard to hit because none of us are playing in the majors. He may be declining, but lets wait until someone on the team says it before we close the case.
Also does anyone think they guy doesn't feel bad about this, we as fans of the Sox need to lay off him and let him work it out. A bunch of old men ******NG about him is not going to help him hit. Lay off him, read this if you want to understand: Boston Red Sox - Ortiz vows to keep swinging - The Boston Globe

The worst part with a wrist injury for a power hitter is that it slows down your ability to get around on the fastball, so you have to cheat on that pitch, but when you cheat they throw the breaking ball and catch you cheating. Until your 100% healthy it will be hard to hit.

Last edited:

I agree. Papi is way too fat to be on steroids. If he were, the steroids would have made him look leaner and more muscular.

The guy who keeps repeating that Ortiz' last homer was late last September: So what? His last home run was in the last week of last season, big deal. Having a one month slump to start this season isn't the end of the world.

He's only 33, age isn't a factor yet. .

Actually, for NORMAL players who don't roid up, hitting age 33 is a naturally old age to start seeing decline in a pro athlete.

These modern marvels you've seen recently playing till their 40's, have almost all used performance enhancing drugs

Actually, for NORMAL players who don't roid up, hitting age 33 is a naturally old age to start seeing decline in a pro athlete.

These modern marvels you've seen recently playing till their 40's, have almost all used performance enhancing drugs

Cecil Fielder got injured and/or couldn't keep up with everyday play at age 33, never played a full season afterward.
Jack Clark saw his batting average, home run, and RBI totals drop after becoming 32.
Frank Thomas has had injury after injury from age 33 onward. He lost parts of three seasons after being injured in 2001 as his stats dropped from .300s-.310s batting avg. down to a .270s batting avg.
I already made reference to Mo Vaughn who used steroids AFTER his injury(proven by Mitchel Report) but his decline started after his 32nd birthday.

Cecil Fielder got injured and/or couldn't keep up with everyday play at age 33, never played a full season afterward.
Jack Clark saw his batting average, home run, and RBI totals drop after becoming 32.
Frank Thomas has had injury after injury from age 33 onward. He lost parts of three seasons after being injured in 2001 as his stats dropped from .300s-.310s batting avg. down to a .270s batting avg.
I already made reference to Mo Vaughn who used steroids AFTER his injury(proven by Mitchel Report) but his decline started after his 32nd birthday.

Good points Efin

Who says he's 33? All these D.R. players lie about their age. That is well known. Also, Tejada and A-Roid are both from D.R., if I'm not mistaken. Guilt by association?

I agree. Papi is way too fat to be on steroids. If he were, the steroids would have made him look leaner and more muscular.

The guy who keeps repeating that Ortiz' last homer was late last September: So what? His last home run was in the last week of last season, big deal. Having a one month slump to start this season isn't the end of the world.

No they wouldn't Mav. There are so many different kinds of steroids, that do so many different things. That's first and foremost. Second, steroids aren't a magic pill, where you take them, and suddenly your body gets leaner, and your muscles explode. You need to work out consistently, and diet properly, for that to happen. People see Barry bonds and his giant head, and assume that all steroid users will look like that. Well, they won't. If your body make up is such that you are soft, round, and overweight, then doing steroids alone isn't going to change that. Of course, this doesn't mean that Papi did them, it simply means that his physical appearance wouldn't discount the possibility.

Big Papi is really blowing tonight with TWO doubles, a walk, and a rbi :p

Last edited:
He hasn't hit a dinger since 9/22/08! Batting .215 with 12 rbi's. This is our power guy? I said it before and I'll say it again. Papi is finished and his 3-4 big years all came courtesy of steroids. No more roids, no more Papi. Case closed.

you are an idiot...case closed

Papi went 1-3 tonight with a run scored, rbi, and two walks, he is starting to look better

My opinion on Papi I summed up in another thread, and it is proving true so far, here is what I think

Moving him around isn't going to help, makes him feel worse, makes him try harder which leads to worse results, and in the end his downfall. When you have a guy like Ortiz you can't move him around or it ruins his confidence even more so, and it seems so far like he is just missing confidence in himself. He got more confidence on Sunday talking to reporters and has done good his two games since then. It's all about confidence especially after a wrist injury, in which you aren't sure how your wrist really is and you are almost afraid to test it and mess it up again. With his confidence growing, his numbers will too.--PatsfanofNC12

Last edited:
My opinion on Papi I summed up in another thread, and it is proving true so far, here is what I think

Moving him around isn't going to help, makes him feel worse, makes him try harder which leads to worse results, and in the end his downfall. When you have a guy like Ortiz you can't move him around or it ruins his confidence even more so, and it seems so far like he is just missing confidence in himself. He got more confidence on Sunday talking to reporters and has done good his two games since then. It's all about confidence especially after a wrist injury, in which you aren't sure how your wrist really is and you are almost afraid to test it and mess it up again. With his confidence growing, his numbers will too.--PatsfanofNC12

Well I think he's getting paid 10+ million to hit the friggin ball.
I would be more than happy to make $500,000 and look like I have no clue.

Baseball is a great game and it would be greater w/o guaranteed contracts for people who like the grub table a bit too much.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back