Welcome to PatsFans.com

It's not just the Republicans that oppose Obama's plan to let the UN regulate guns

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patsfanin Philly, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +157 / 2 / -2

Re: It's not just the Republicans that oppose Obama's plan to let the UN regulate gun

What is the language in the treaty?

Saying it "could" bring international arms control to the US sounds like a lack of homework or mere provocation by the writer (and grandstanding by the pols).
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Re: It's not just the Republicans that oppose Obama's plan to let the UN regulate gun

I don't see how a UN treaty could ever usurp the US Constitution, therefore I wouldn't worry about this much.
  4. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

Exactly. I get the feeling that there are pertinent issues being left out.
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I agree but let's not forget Obama is not exactly a strict Constitution person. He is in the camp that it is a flawed document and there are parts of it he surely would change if he could. However - he is not in the branch of government who should be deciding such issues and hopefully someone will remind him of this at some point.
  6. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

Such as?

7. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +157 / 2 / -2

The Constitution can easily be viewed to have been a flawed document. After all, nothing is perfect, and times change.

The founders didn't agree upon it as a unanimous block, let alone a flawless document. That's why the bill of rights was needed for ratification, and it's why there are mechanisms built into it for change.

The additional amendments illustrate that at various times over the course of our nation's history the constitution was viewed as flawed in some way. Nothing wrong with that.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

He doesn't like the constitution because it doesn't redistribute wealth.
  9. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

That's just a dumb thing to say. Which is funny because, as a purported "pox on both houses" type of guy, you sure do parrot the GOP rhetoric pretty frequently.
  10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

‚Ä™OBAMA SAYS CONSTITUTION DEEP FLAW CONTINUES TODAY‚Ĩ‏ - YouTube

BTW ... calling other members dumb is a violation of our rules here ... just saying.
    Not only were you wrong to use the word you were wrong because you never knew what Obama actually said. So if you really need to use the word then use it where it fits.
  11. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

I think you quoted the wrong post.

The belief that the Constitution is flawed isn't exactly an extreme view. I was asking you if you knew specifically what he'd change, and whether that was relevant to the OP.
  12. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

You know what's dumb? Drawing an equivocation between my having called a particular statement dumb with calling a poster dumb.

This is grade school level reading comprehension. And speaking of reading comprehension, that's a nice link and all but it doesn't show what you apparently think it should.
  13. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Please ... semantic arguments do not justify verbal assaults. Adults having adult conversations should not need to use any such words - we all know this. Opinion is someones viewpoint and however flawed it may or may not be it should never be considered dumb.
  14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

It was Obama speaking on economic liberties - anyone who has studied up on their Obama already knows this. Rather than use someone's article I used his voice - doesn't get any better than that.
  15. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

So you think that every opinion has merit? I disagree.

Plus, I know RW is of the opinion that we're all adults in here and I'm sure he's not off crying somewhere because of my grievous and untoward "verbal assault."
  16. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

What part of anything you've posted supports RW's claim?
  17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I do think every opinion has merit. Uneducated and less informed people will be of different opinion than educated and better informed people. But that should in no way determine their opinion's merit. Having opinions and having a voice and having both mean something and that is a the fabric of a democracy of people. Unlike some here I even value others opinion even when it is totally different from mine. If we all shared the same opinion we would be robots ripe for government control.
  18. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I'll get to that .......... after I consume some nutrition otherwise called dinner.
  19. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

true your opinions are typically dem spin and without merit. :p