PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's like having Darrelle Revis

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizwor

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Overheard during today's broadcast about Butler's coverage at 7:37 in the 3rd quarter.

Also overheard during the broadcast by Simms: "Now that the Cowboys have Hardy back, that gives them hope."

This is a little out of context. Simms wasn't saying that Butler is as good as Revis, just that by having Butler lock down the #1 receiver, that allows them to double up elsewhere, and I think he was specifically referring to Jason Witten.

Revis is in the past, Butler has a future. That's about as close as I would put them in one sentence.

I was very happy the way our guys were sticking to theirs like glue.

I am curious to see how much better Butler can get. He lacks the pure talent of a Revis but he is no slouch in the talent factor overall. IMO he has played like a legit #1 CB

Keep in mind he did get beat for a TD pass that happened to be over thrown today. However in the past 3 games he has allowed something like 4-5 catches. I think even with a few breaks that is pretty good.

Edit: Also I will say this. If Butler can play as good as this or better for the next 10 years I am happy with the #1 CB spot as is and don't see a need to go for an upgrade in FA.

If we draft a CB in the draft to be our #2 or #3 or pick up a FA that happesn to be better I would be very pleased but I don't see it as a position that will likely need an upgrade as long as Butler is here.

If this year goes the way i think it will they should look to sign him to a 6-7 year deal ASAP and try to get a discount for being the team that developed him and signing him early. If we get him after this year for an extension that is 7 years for 60M I would be very pleased with that.

I am curious to see how much better Butler can get. He lacks the pure talent of a Revis but he is no slouch in the talent factor overall. IMO he has played like a legit #1 CB

Keep in mind he did get beat for a TD pass that happened to be over thrown today. However in the past 3 games he has allowed something like 4-5 catches. I think even with a few breaks that is pretty good.

Edit: Also I will say this. If Butler can play as good as this or better for the next 10 years I am happy with the #1 CB spot as is and don't see a need to go for an upgrade in FA.

If we draft a CB in the draft to be our #2 or #3 or pick up a FA that happesn to be better I would be very pleased but I don't see it as a position that will likely need an upgrade as long as Butler is here.

If this year goes the way i think it will they should look to sign him to a 6-7 year deal ASAP and try to get a discount for being the team that developed him and signing him early. If we get him after this year for an extension that is 7 years for 60M I would be very pleased with that.

Re-sign Tarrell Brown, draft an outside press CB (I like Eric Murray of Minnesota) and then see who of rookie, Darryl Roberts or Tarrell Brown wins the camp battle.

Brandon Weeden was the QB today.

I can't imagine a 7-year contract that the Patriots would be willing to offer and that Butler would be willing to sign.

A sports guy on the radio speaks and this is what I hear: Blah blah blah>I'm just spewing hot air>, blah blah blah.
It would be exceptionally phenomenal if Butler turned into a shut down corner. He is, though, not current;y a SDC and certainly not Revis (important to note he is also not Revis cap space dedication too). Butler is a first year starter looking to prove he belongs a starter (and doing a good job so far).

AFAIC Revis can suck it. After signing a sweet contract -- good for him on that -- he decided to be a first class jerk. So eff him. We paid him under market value, used him for what we needed, got what we needed, he is now back where he belongs (and on a sucky team) while we are looking as good if not better than last year. Sure, he's a great corner but it wouldn't surprise me that, overall, our defensive potency is the same as last year.

Look, we do not require Butler to replace Revis at Revis' level (and blowhard radio nitwits trying to make Butler something he is not is laughable). We just need him/the secondary to play satisfactory. That's it, that is all we need. Add that to the other parts of the Patriots and this will equal a very very capable team -- a team that is as capable if not more so than last year.

Last year was the perfect year to have a guy like Revis. The #1 WRs we went against included:

- Calvin Johnson
- AJ Green
- Demaryius Thomas
- Jordy Nelson
- Brandon Marshall/Alshon Jeffery
- Keenan Allen
- Mike Wallace
- Greg Jennings
- Reggie Wayne (Arrington covered Hilton)

If Butler had to face that list of WRs this year I think we would be singing a different tune. Revis pretty much shut all of them down except a couple plays he would like back against Jordy Nelson.

That said, Butler looks at least above average so far and I'm looking forward to his continued development!

I think Butler's ceiling is not HOF but the 2nd tier of above average and dependable like Vontae Davis. I am totally fine with that. If he proves me wrong and becomes a HOF, even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes