PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Its impossible to predict the offensive gameplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truck

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
In my opinion, its impossible to predict the offensive gameplan.

This team has so many weapons, that they'll react to what the defense is doing. If Moss is being single covered, he'll get thrown to often. If they bring the house, there'll be short passes to welker and screen passes to faulk. If they drop everyone into coverage Maroney will gain steady yardage.

Most teams have their one main weapon (like Plaxico) who they need to go to in order to win.

The beauty of this team is it doesn't matter what you do as they have an effective 2nd, 3rd, 4th gameplan.

It's not impossible it's quite easy. Your going to see the same exact things that got them to this game. Teams don't reinvent themselves for the Super Bowl. They stick with what go them there in the first place.

i dont think the pats have had an offensive gameplan set in stone per se

i think they "take what the defense gives" them.....and they are damn good at it...thats why we rock in the second half of games, and in the 4th Q especially....

42-20 is the score i see...maybe 38-13, but something around that

With the emergence of the running game in the post-season, I agree with the title of this thread. The reason why this is a historic offense isn't just cause of the records set by Brady and Moss. It's because of how many options (a ridiculous amount of options) this team can do effectively.

Moss is a historically good receiver, and yet this team plays under the assumption he's going to be taken out of the game. That's where the game plan STARTS my friends-- by assuming one of the best there has ever been isn't going to be an option. You then think of Welker who is the go to guy when the deep ball to Moss is cut. Welker, who actually led the league in yards this year if I'm not mistaken. So there is the second tier-- a guy who leads the league in yards. Great, so then the opposing team cuts him off.

Well, we haven't even started talking about Stallworth, one of the best yards after guy out there, or the running game that consists of the top rusher in the post season (yup, that's Maroney, check the stats out) and then the ever versatile Faulk who can run the ball or be a dump off option.

It's a truly ridiculous offense. You can't cover them all. It gives the opposing D little choice. They try to blitz? Go for it! You leave too few guys to cover the receivers (same if you stack the box against the very real running threat or short passes). And I believe Brady is something like a 114 QB rating when blitzed anyway.

the reason this team hasn't lost is because of the options it has on offense. Sure, the Brady to Moss is dazzling and seemingly super-natural, but stopping something Legendary is just where the opposing D has to START.

Last edited:
Any chance they go no-huddle for the entire 1st Qtr? ;)

It's not impossible it's quite easy. Your going to see the same exact things that got them to this game. Teams don't reinvent themselves for the Super Bowl. They stick with what go them there in the first place.

If the OP doesn't mind me putting words in his mouth ...
you're right. But WHAT are "the exact same things that got them to this game"?

First 8 games plus the 10th (Bills again) were all one thing.
Everything afterwards was comeback plus clock-killing.

Besides, both early and late we ran roughshod.
But in between, little rushing.

Which leaves us about where Truck started.
What Do The Pats Do Best?

I agree, for three reasons.

1. As already stated, the Pats do many things well. It's very hard to predict which the Giants will figure out how to stop, if any. (And most likely there will be some. The Giants are in the Super Bowl for a reason.)
2. Three key blockers are back vs. last time, so the last game is not a good guide.
3. We don't know whether they'll be worried enough about Brady's ankle to try particularly hard to shield him from hits early, or whether they'll play their usual style in which you can hit him but he'll torch you anyway.

Last edited:
Brady's ankle is a non-issue in how both teams will approach this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back