PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's all up to Gagne now

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/07/31/gagne.redsox/index.html

Okajima/Gagne/Papelbon or Okajima/Papelbon/Gagne? Who cares. That's just nasty.

You're right, it is nasty to think of the three of them in our pen.

But Papelbon IS our closer (and this is a guy who had wanted him to be a starter saying that). Absolutely, no possible way does Gagne replace him as closer, heck, I'm not even sure you can justify him replacing a guy with a .85 ERA as our 8th inning guy.

But, all that considered, if the price is really just Murphy and Gabbard as I've read, you do this trade, you hope Gagne isn't a little drama queen and will take the ball when you tell him.

Last edited:
Okajima/Gagne/Papelbon or Okajima/Papelbon/Gagne? Who cares. That's just nasty.
That is pretty damn good although Chamberlain/Rivera will be pretty darn good too, especially as Chamberlain will have no problem going 2 innings.

Boston/Yankees/Detriot/AL West winner - that will be a very interesting October.

Last edited:
That is pretty damn good although Chamberlain/Rivera will be pretty darn good too, especially as Chamberlain will have no problem going 2 innings.

We don't know if Chamberlain will be any good in the bigs, though. Paps, Gagne, and now Okajima are all proven commodities.

Boston/Yankees/Detriot/AL West winner - that will be a very interesting October.

I'm curious if you're a Sons of Sam Horn poster/lurker. I lurk there, and there's a Chamberlain-Buccholz debate going on over there right now (although, I think it turned into a Chamberlain-Masterson debate?).

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see the Sox and Yanks bring up their highly touted pitching chips over the next few years. We Sox fans are pretty high on our talent, but the MFY fans are on theirs as well. While I'm no scout, I'd say we edge them in quality, and most certainly in quantity - though the notion that the Yankees farm system is somehow gutted is quite far from the truth, especially when you think about Hughes and Chamberlain.

We don't know if Chamberlain will be any good in the bigs, though. Paps, Gagne, and now Okajima are all proven commodities.
You're right - but with his silly 77/16 K/BB ratio in AA and AAA (leaving out A), in 45 1/3 IP - I'm assuming he's ready now until proven otherwise. 13 K, 1 BB in 6 IP of AAA :eek:

Last edited:
I'm curious if you're a Sons of Sam Horn poster/lurker.
No, I'm not a Red Sox fan - I just follow baseball closely (the Patriots are the only team I root for in any professional sport). Although I do follow the Red Sox more closely now that I see the guys on NEST talking about them all the time - same with the Celtics.

You're right - but with his silly 77/16 K/BB ration in AA and AAA (leaving out A), in 45 1/3 IP - I'm assuming he's ready now until proven otherwise. 13 K, 1 BB in 6 IP of AAA :eek:

Yeah, but that one walk was, like, awful. :D

The Baseball Tonight guys said it's just been finalized we trade Kason Gabbard and two minor leaugers for Eric Gagne. This means on we could have Timlin (6th), Okajima (7th), Gagne (8th), Papelbon (9th). That's just plain scary. I just calculated that's an average ERA of 2.12 :eek:

As a Rangers fan I am happy with both of these trades. I've never been a big Teixeira fan for whatever reason. It's interesting... when he was injured for a month we started winning more. I think we have a solid infield without him.

The Gagne deal is brilliant. We signed him when no one else wanted him... and now we get to cash in. Akinori Otsuka is just as good of a closer anyway.

Do any of you guys know anything about pitcher Kason Gabbard and minor-league outfielders David Murphy and Engel Beltre?

As a Rangers fan I am happy with both of these trades. I've never been a big Teixeira fan for whatever reason. It's interesting... when he was injured for a month we started winning more. I think we have a solid infield without him.

The Gagne deal is brilliant. We signed him when no one else wanted him... and now we get to cash in. Akinori Otsuka is just as good of a closer anyway.

Do any of you guys know anything about pitcher Kason Gabbard and minor-league outfielders David Murphy and Engel Beltre?

I think this trade will work out well for both parties. The Sox basically have no room/need for either Gabbard or Murphy, and frankly, I don't know the first thing about Beltre.

I'd say Murphy projects as a good 4th outfielder on an MLB team (and that was never going to be the Sox).

Gabbard seems to project as a good back of the rotation kind of guy. His ceiling isn't that high, he isn't that highly touted and didn't have a really great minor league career, but has performed well when called up to the bigs this season and last. He's pitched admirably of late in Schilling's stead and has earned a lot of Jaime Moyer type comparisons.

Since your [the Rangers] team's season is done, I'd say you got two solid players in exchange for a closer you didn't need for the rest of the season. As I said, a good deal for both parties.

In case you're interested:

Gabbard's minor league stats:
http://www.soxprospects.com/players/gabbard-kason.htm

Gabbard's major league stats:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=28526

Murphy's minor league stats:
http://www.soxprospects.com/players/murphy-david.htm

Last edited:
I got to believe this move was more of a keep him away from the yankees while making a great bullpen even better type of move, because i just dont get why the yankees give up while yes he is used up at this point but he was the most reliable arm besides mo in the yankee pen for some avg at best infielder. Im thinking that infielder was a chip to use to trade for gagne, either case the sox just made a great bullpen better and for people they really had no room for.:rocker:

Anyone know when Gagne's contract is up?

Anyone know when Gagne's contract is up?

Just read where they don't expect him to re-sign, but the Sox will get a #1 pick plus a sandwich pick. They also mentioned that the new reliever (from Japan) innings were approaching last years total.

gabbard did a excellent job for the redsox when he was up with the big club .your going to like him hes solid .David Murphy spent the lions share of his time down in tripleA pawtucket .who knows how he will do in the majors .beltre was new to the redsox system .

Last edited:
This move pisses me off a little because it never needed to happen. They could have singed him (or Dotel) this past offseason but decided against it, only to turn around and give similar money to Pineiro. Obviously I have the benefit of hindsight, but if they were willing to add a project into the bullpen they aught to have tried the ones with the higher ceilings.

I'm certainly not going to complain about the addition of a solid bullpen arm, but wouldn't it have made more sense to go after something they need as opposed to just strengthening something that was already the best in baseball? A decent bench bat or two should have been more of a priority than another reliever. And getting someone like Reggie Sanders or Xavier Nady or even rolling the dice on Morgan Ensberg wouldn't have cost all that much.

This move pisses me off a little because it never needed to happen. They could have singed him (or Dotel) this past offseason but decided against it, only to turn around and give similar money to Pineiro. Obviously I have the benefit of hindsight, but if they were willing to add a project into the bullpen they aught to have tried the ones with the higher ceilings.

That's a good point.

But, as I said above, the prospects we gave up likely don't have much value for us...again, the counter argument would be that we could've used them in another deal down the road.

Sucks to see him got to Boston but nice move. Im glad the Yanks stood pat, because as much as I would have love to see him here. We just could not afford to give up prospects Alan Horne, Ian Kennedy, Joba Chamberlain, or Melky for ultimately a 2 month rental

I think it was a good move...the bullpen is deadly. However, I think it was more important to get the Dye deal done. They needed another bat in the line-up.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back