PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's a Rosie's game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

On the Roster
Reaction score
I've just read on http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9154374/2 how Broncos should be aware of Willie's pass rush, but I think the strike will come from Colvin's side. I think it will be a breakout game for him as he did very well for us this year and now it's time for him to shine :)

The great thing about McGinnest's 4.5 sacks is it will likely open it up for everyone else. The Broncos have to pay at least a little attention to his side but then we still have Colvin and two ILB who are great pass rushers if Bruschi plays. It's an unbelievably balanced pass rush from the LB.

I'd love to see it. Gotta feel good for the guy after all he's been through with that hip.

We need both Rosey and Willie to contain Plummer from rolling out. That's where he is most effective. If we keep him in the pocket, he'll make mistakes reading his progressions.

So, it's contain first and sack second.

I read earlier in the week that RT is a problem/weakness for Denver. Their starting RT has been so disappointing over the season they had been platooning him. Willie's re-emergence, along with that of the entire front 7, has presented a cause for concern in Denver. Especially after watching the Jacksonville game.

PATSNUTme said:
We need both Rosey and Willie to contain Plummer from rolling out. That's where he is most effective. If we keep him in the pocket, he'll make mistakes reading his progressions.

So, it's contain first and sack second.

This team is perfectly manned to do just that ... The individual stats don't mean as much as they do on other teams ... These guys are just as happy to contain and pressure the QB if it helps the back 4 do their jobs.

re:

If you're Denver, you are going to have major problems stopping the pass rush. Keeping a TE or RB in to block will be a necessity.

Who do you key on? McGinest coming from one side? Or Rosie Colvin flying in from the other side? How about Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork up the middle? And let's not forget about Vrabel and Tedy Bruschi possibly flying in over a blocker's head.

Here's to Jake the Snake showing his true colors.

At least 1.5 of Willie's 4.5 sacks came when the QB ran TO him and away from Colvin.

R

MoLewisrocks said:
I read earlier in the week that RT is a problem/weakness for Denver. Their starting RT has been so disappointing over the season they had been platooning him. Willie's re-emergence, along with that of the entire front 7, has presented a cause for concern in Denver. Especially after watching the Jacksonville game.
Good news! I was alittle disappointed Sey and Rosie didn't get more mileage on the rookie RT of JAX other than a couple of penalties. Maybe they'll show more against Denver.

snake sammich

njpatsfan said:
At least 1.5 of Willie's 4.5 sacks came when the QB ran TO him and away from Colvin.

R
if willie ray don't get him, rosie will. they both go right into the QB's face, not upfield or around the back.
the problem with paying extra attention to colvin, say, with a RB, is that ya got seymour right there, an all-pro DL. you can also pay extra attention to mcginest, maybe with a TE, but then you only got 3 receivers downfield. not to mention leaving oneself vulnerable to blitzes up the middle.
shanahan's real good at game-planning stuff like this, i'm looking forward to seeing how he deals with a genuine pass rusher on each corner, an all-pro DL, and high probability of a linebacker up the middle.

If TJ hadn't retired I wonder what would have happened.

It's actually worked out perfectly because Vrabel has been an upgrade over TJ/Phifer and it's allowed Willie and Rosey to play full time at OLB. With Hobbs probably better than Wilson, I am convinced our defense is now better than last year EXCEPT for the huge injury to Harrison.

But if TJ had come back we'd probably have him and Bruschi at ILB with Beisel taking Phifer's job of rotating with TJ on passing downs and Rosey would likely be the third man for two OLB spots again with Vrabel remaining outside.

BelichickFan said:
If TJ hadn't retired I wonder what would have happened.

It's actually worked out perfectly because Vrabel has been an upgrade over TJ/Phifer and it's allowed Willie and Rosey to play full time at OLB. With Hobbs probably better than Wilson, I am convinced our defense is now better than last year EXCEPT for the huge injury to Harrison.

But if TJ had come back we'd probably have him and Bruschi at ILB with Beisel taking Phifer's job of rotating with TJ on passing downs and Rosey would likely be the third man for two OLB spots again with Vrabel remaining outside.
Methinks this may be why TJ's a bit testy lately! ;)

njpatsfan said:

:yeahthat:

They did a montage of those sacks . . . there was at least one where Willie seemed to be caught off-guard for a split second before making the sack. :)

jczxohn1 said:
Good news! I was alittle disappointed Sey and Rosie didn't get more mileage on the rookie RT of JAX other than a couple of penalties. Maybe they'll show more against Denver.
The kid got a lot of help - remember Madden showing replays of jax double and triple teaming Rosie and being so confused about who to block that they released him to pressure Lefty? There was a reason Willie got loose so often, they were scared of the left side pass rush. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes