PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Its a no win situation.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each win is one step closer to our goal.

Other than Denver, they're all games we absolutely should win easily, but a bad 60 minutes and we could lose any of them. So don't take it for granted. With each win, we're closer to earning hopefully a first round bye. 13-3 and a 1/2 seed is always an accomplishment in this league no matter your schedule. Of course expectations have to be tempered given how probably the 2 best teams we've faced on the schedule have beaten us.
Actually I think the Miami game will prove to be the most difficult. They are playing very well right now, especially the defense. It will be their superbowl. I am very glad we are playing this one at home

It might be what is the definition of a win, or what is success? The definition of a good team or player seems to have become a SB win, or he/they suck. The playoffs are still mostly a roll of the dice, matchups, injuries, and factors beyond the control of rankings and stats.

That the Patriots are in the conversation as a good team with a chance to win it all for each season of the past decade, and into the future constitutes a good situation. Having a team that avoids being good for two years, then has to rebuild and go through a roster and coaching overhaul is what defines success.

Tom Landry won 2 SB in Dallas, but to me, his biggest achievement was 20 consecutive winning seasons. Hopefully there is an advantage to the under the radar 1PM starts(although the Denver game will be phrased in Biblical hype) and hopefully both the offense and defense continue to improve and will have something to offer in the playofffs.

Last edited:
Some of what is being articulated is the influence of the "yea but" crowd and the "should've lost" group that have infiltrated patriots media and patriots discussion boards, aka the resident contrarians...

We may run the table, or we may shyt the bed on one of these Sunday's... but as long as we win the division is the most important thing, then there will be the discussion of how bad our defense is or how good it could have been..

But the reality is that if we make it out of the AFC, and hit the big show then we will either face the 27th worse defense (NOLA) or the 31st worse (Green Bay).. so it is what it is.

Last edited:
I guess it's a real measure of success for an organization when some of their fanbase looks upon the prospect of winning easily through the month of December and securing a 1st round bye as anything but very exciting.

That said, no games are really easy. Every team treats the Pats game as a big game regardless; it wouldn't shock me to see Indy play their best this weekend & make it a closer game that most would imagine. Washington has shown some big game ability, especially when Grossman is hot. Miami is playing as well as anyone right now, and Denver is not far behind that. And the Bills already beat the Pats, and can put up a fight even with the players they have lost.

I guess it's a real measure of success for an organization when some of their fanbase looks upon the prospect of winning easily through the month of December and securing a 1st round bye as anything but very exciting.

Sometimes it can be a real measure of success. In this case, however, it's a measure of having the easiest schedule in the NFL ahead of them, including a game against an 0-11 team this Sunday.

That said, no games are really easy. Every team treats the Pats game as a big game regardless; it wouldn't shock me to see Indy play their best this weekend & make it a closer game that most would imagine.

Crappy teams are crappy teams. Any given Sunday is a truism, but the bottom line is that the Patriots are playing very weak teams from here on out.

Washington has shown some big game ability, especially when Grossman is hot.

The Redskins have lost 6 of 7.

Miami is playing as well as anyone right now, and Denver is not far behind that.

Their only wins this season have been against the reeling Chiefs, Redskins and Bills. They've played better lately than they had played in starting off the season 0-7, but it's not as if they've morphed into the Steelers. They still suck.

And the Bills already beat the Pats, and can put up a fight even with the players they have lost.

The Bills have lost 4 straight (and 5 of 6), have been blown out in 2 of those 4 games, and will be playing out the string by week 17.

It's just a weak schedule from here on out, and any loss will be a cause for real concern about the team's chances in the playoffs. Beyond that, there's really not much to look forward to (in the sense of the whole team, as opposed to watching specific individuals or units) on the field until the start of the postseason.

Last edited:
Because nothing could brighten the dullness of winter more than seeing the Pats hoist another Lombardi ... in Indy.

It's insane when you ponder it that way. 3 years ago, when Indy was chosen as the winner in hosting SB46, What would a Colts fan have thought if the Pats were to win it there while they themselves went 0-16?:eek:

any loss will be a cause for real concern about the team's chances in the playoffs.

I'm willing to grant them one more loss this season as a result of complacency/playing down to their opponents. If after that they don't blow the doors off their next opponent, then that's a sign of a dead team. But I won't call one more loss (especially if it's in Denver where we have struggled against inferior teams before) a cause for real concern.

Sometimes it can be a real measure of success. In this case, however, it's a measure of having the easiest schedule in the NFL ahead of them, including a game against an 0-11 team this Sunday.

Crappy teams are crappy teams. Any given Sunday is a truism, but the bottom line is that the Patriots are playing very weak teams from here on out.

The Redskins have lost 6 of 7.

Their only wins this season have been against the reeling Chiefs, Redskins and Bills. They've played better lately than they had played in starting off the season 0-7, but it's not as if they've morphed into the Steelers. They still suck.

The Bills have lost 4 straight (and 5 of 6), have been blown out in 2 of those 4 games, and will be playing out the string by week 17.

It's just a weak schedule from here on out, and any loss will be a cause for real concern about the team's chances in the playoffs. Beyond that, there's really not much to look forward to (in the sense of the whole team, as opposed to watching specific individuals or units) on the field until the start of the postseason.

I don't disagree at all with your premise except to point out that being 8-3 has a little bit to do with it.

It's funny how things turn out - at the beginning of the season, the Chiefs-Eagles-Colts stretch looked like a killer.

I did point out elsewhere that the Ravens scehdule is every bit as easy as the Pats. So there is legitimate competition for the top seed in that respect.

Even with a stretch of "easy" games, it can be tough to win them all. If we assume that NE has an 80% chance of winning each game, the chances of winning five in a row are less than 1 in 3.

.....and we are all going to have to come to grips with it.

If we beat up on the Colts to the tune of 38 to 13, and it could get uglier that that, the general comment will be "ho hum". If its any closer than that, then its probably going to get nasty. The win will be quickly lost in questions about the Pats effort or ability, or talent.

But its not just for this game, the same issues go for the rest of the season. Any success the Pats incur will be countered by comments on the "2nd string QB parade". There will be no comments made about the Pats possible success in the playoffs, without TWICE the number of comments about the last 2 failures. And while it is not unfair to bring up those 2 playoff losses in 09 and 10, its STILL really irrelevant to the issue of THIS team. Nothing pisses me off more than pundits who opine that the Pats can't beat the Ravens because they won a game 2 YEARS ago.

So we all have to accept that the next 5 weeks have little or no meaning. Nothing good that emerges will be valued, and ONLY negatives will be worth commenting on. If the defense holds all these teams to under 20 points, it will be viewed as the result of playing inferior competition. The same will hold true for any of the offense's successes.

I know the games are important. I know the wins are necessary if we are going to get the all important bye. I know the secondary is a huge question mark. I know all these thngs, but it is still disappointing that the rest of the season has been seemingly made irrelevant because these are the teams that have been given to us by the schedule

I just can't rid myself of the nagging feeling that the rest of the season is like the game with the Colts....nothing good can come of it. I'm just biding my time, piling up wins, answering the same questions, and waiting for the playoffs to begin, hoping beyond hope that we will be lucky enough to be healthy enough to SHUT UP the naysayers.....at least for a couple of games.

Am I the only one that feels this?.....or should I just see my doctor and get some medication.
"

I for one don't feel that way. I really do try enjoy every game and not look ahead. I try and enjoy the journey. If I mostly concentrated on the SB destination, I probably wouldn't enjoy football as much.

As has been noted, this is the NFL, which means even against the Colts we'll have to not only show up but also play well to win. We've been very fortunate in the turnover game for the most part. If we come out flat and turn the ball over then yes in my opinion the Colts could win.

A win is a win for me. I don't buy into the strength of opponent argument. Teams don't control who they play. As for the remaining games after the Colts, I think it's going to be tougher than some pundits think. WAS can on occasion play well. As others have pointed out, DEN is never an easy place to play for us. And even in December at Gillette, MIA is going to be a good opponent. There's no guarantee that we sweep the remaining games.

As has been noted, injuries are a concern. This is a time when we need to be getting healthier not sustaining more injures. A few key injuries could significantly change the dynamics of this team. While I do want to see continued improvements on the defensive side of the ball, wins and health are the most important things.

I don't disagree at all with your premise except to point out that being 8-3 has a little bit to do with it.

Well, sure, but that's sort of cart and horse. The Patriots are 8-3 because they AREN'T the Colts/Redskins/etc... If the team was 5-6, and in a fight for a playoff spot, we'd be more focused on the games, but we'd be much less confident of the team's ability to win games.

It's funny how things turn out - at the beginning of the season, the Chiefs-Eagles-Colts stretch looked like a killer.

True, and I think it goes to show the importance of "luck" (i.e. keeping the key players healthy) in the NFL.

I did point out elsewhere that the Ravens scehdule is every bit as easy as the Pats. So there is legitimate competition for the top seed in that respect.

Even with a stretch of "easy" games, it can be tough to win them all. If we assume that NE has an 80% chance of winning each game, the chances of winning five in a row are less than 1 in 3.

The Patriots need to win all these games for seeding purposes, and there's no excuse to lose to any of these teams. The only threat is Denver, and the Patriots should be able to stop the run well enough to open up a lead and win.

Last edited:
I'm willing to grant them one more loss this season as a result of complacency/playing down to their opponents. If after that they don't blow the doors off their next opponent, then that's a sign of a dead team. But I won't call one more loss (especially if it's in Denver where we have struggled against inferior teams before) a cause for real concern.

I would, because seeding and a possible bye is on the line. Now, if everything is set in stone come week 16, for example, I'll be comfortable with whatever happens record-wise as the team rests players and plays out the string.

Well, sure, but that's sort of cart and horse. The Patriots are 8-3 because they AREN'T the Colts/Redskins/etc... If the team was 5-6, and in a fight for a playoff spot, we'd be more focused on the games, but we'd be much less confident of the team's ability to win games.

True, and I think it goes to show the importance of "luck" (i.e. keeping the key players healthy) in the NFL.

The Patriots need to win all these games for seeding purposes, and there's no excuse to lose to any of these teams. The only threat is Denver, and the Patriots should be able to stop the run well enough to open up a lead and win.

Tough defense in Denver so that'll be a good test for the offense. On defense, not losing containment on Tebow is key, something which teams like the jets haven't bothered to do.

Am I the only one that feels this?.....or should I just see my doctor and get some medication.
"

Only you can answer the final question.

Speaking for myself, I really don't care what "naysayers" say, I don't care about the strength of the remaining schedule and I don't care whom we beat.

I just want to hear from BB that he thinks the team is getting better in critical areas every week.

After that, I want the Pats to stay healthy and then to actually win a Goddam Playoff game for the first time since the 2007 season.

Beating a lot of good teams and getting the top seed didn't do squat for us last year, so, no offense, but I think most of your concerns are pretty irrelevant to getting to Indy, to be honest.

Last edited:
.....and we are all going to have to come to grips with it.

If we beat up on the Colts to the tune of 38 to 13, and it could get uglier that that, the general comment will be "ho hum". If its any closer than that, then its probably going to get nasty. The win will be quickly lost in questions about the Pats effort or ability, or talent.

But its not just for this game, the same issues go for the rest of the season. Any success the Pats incur will be countered by comments on the "2nd string QB parade". There will be no comments made about the Pats possible success in the playoffs, without TWICE the number of comments about the last 2 failures. And while it is not unfair to bring up those 2 playoff losses in 09 and 10, its STILL really irrelevant to the issue of THIS team. Nothing pisses me off more than pundits who opine that the Pats can't beat the Ravens because they won a game 2 YEARS ago.

So we all have to accept that the next 5 weeks have little or no meaning. Nothing good that emerges will be valued, and ONLY negatives will be worth commenting on. If the defense holds all these teams to under 20 points, it will be viewed as the result of playing inferior competition. The same will hold true for any of the offense's successes.

I know the games are important. I know the wins are necessary if we are going to get the all important bye. I know the secondary is a huge question mark. I know all these thngs, but it is still disappointing that the rest of the season has been seemingly made irrelevant because these are the teams that have been given to us by the schedule

I just can't rid myself of the nagging feeling that the rest of the season is like the game with the Colts....nothing good can come of it. I'm just biding my time, piling up wins, answering the same questions, and waiting for the playoffs to begin, hoping beyond hope that we will be lucky enough to be healthy enough to SHUT UP the naysayers.....at least for a couple of games.

"

I'm expecting nothing but victory from here on out. Let the naysayers say "nay" from now until the Superbowl. I hope they do. Nothing fuels the fire like disrespect! (Unless you're Marshawn Lynch, then it's Skittles.) And I'm looking forward to it. Week after week of Disrespect building to a crescendo of surly indignant destruction come playoff time.

I'll be looking for specific things over the last five weeks, individual players or units to see how they respond:

Assuming Vollmer doesn't play, how well does Solder handle a guy like Mathis? Same goes for Cannon if he has to fill in at RT for some reason (a Light injury, etc).

Right now I'm confident in the abilities of Welker, Branch, Gronk, and Hernandez. Will anyone else (Ocho, Price, Underwood, Slater) give me reason to include them too?

Can either Vereen or Ridley find some consistency by year's end?

How well does the make shift secondary seem to cover individual talented receivers (Garcon, Wayne, Collie, Lloyd, Decker, S. Moss, Marshall... there's plenty of talent left to evaluate them against)?

Can Edelman continue to get more comfortable as a DB?

When McCourty comes back, does Edelman stay in the slot instead of Molden (who's skills don't seem to fit the slot corner role all that well)?

When Chung comes back, is it Ighedibo or Moore who gets the majority of the snaps next to him?

Can Carter and Anderson keep it up? And on top of that, can we find someone between Deaderick, Brace, Vince, Love, Warren, or Ellis who can get some extra pass rush up the middle?

These are all fun things to watch for and (assuming success in them) can be good signs for us going into the playoffs that we didn't have last year.

This. (but better stated than I could have done)

Tough defense in Denver so that'll be a good test for the offense. On defense, not losing containment on Tebow is key, something which teams like the jets haven't bothered to do.

The tough defense aspect is what will challenge us, in my opinion.

Denver's defense is what's winning these games for them. Most QB's would be able to have a chance at the end when their team is only giving up 13-14 pts a game (something to that effect in the 5-1 Tebow streak).

I agree that containment is an obvious priority, as is doing their jobs, staying home and properly executing their assignments. Someone has to account for the running back (option to pitch), someone has to account for the QB, and we can take our chances at them effectively passing because Tebow really can't hit the side of a barn.

If the defense is well prepared, as they should be; and they stay home and carry out their assignments, the Denver offense should not be much of a problem to a Bill Belichick coached team, even if you and I were out there.

It's the possibility of a 17-14 game that worries me...if I were to worry about such ridiculous nonsense as the game in Denver. And I am never very confident. I am much more concerned with the Miami game for some reason.

Actually I think the Miami game will prove to be the most difficult. They are playing very well right now, especially the defense. It will be their superbowl. I am very glad we are playing this one at home

My thoughts exactly. This is the game that will creep up and have the potential to cause them problems, not the over-hyped nonsense in Denver.

Then again, Denver's defense is playing very well. It will be up to our offense in that game, not our defense. Stopping that middle school scheme with Tebow should not be that hard for a properly prepared team such as ours, talented or not.

Don't forget nobody can beat GB, a good 5 or more 11-0 teams since 74 have lost and failed to win the title, yet GB is guaranteed to end that, why? There is no reason, just because people want them to win and break records so bad.

The Dolphins had a chance to beat the 7-4 Cowboys last week and lost on a last-second field goal. That is an excellent defense in Miami. Better than the Patriots defense by a long shot. If I had to pick one loss among what is left on the board, it is definitely the Dolphins. The thing about the Dolphins defense is that they have speed all over the field.

My guess is that the Dolphins will beat the Raiders at home tomorrow.

Watching them against the Cowboys gave me the feeling that the Jets got old and top-heavy salary-wise while the Dolphins assembled a well-rounded team with a nice combination of youth and veterans. The Dolphins will by-pass the Jets in 2012. I hope they keep Sparano - the players are buying into his approach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back