"It's a business" blaaaaaaaaaah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am getting tired of this response as to why
we fans are losing our favorite players Willie and Adam.

Sure we know it is a business. But the Patriots business does
well because it's fans are happy.
Letting Adam and Willies doesn't make many of us Fans happy at all.

So put that into your business equation. Maybe I won't buy that
hat or other stuff this year and write them a letter telling them
why I didn't .... just because you made me unhappy by letting
Adam and Willie go. How's that for fan reaction.

I mean if a gus was getting older and could do his job well any more
that is one thing. But Adam and Willie can still play at a high level.

If it's a business .... a business makes its customers happy or it pay the
consequence.

I think we should all use patriots feedback form and select receipient as
"front office".

http://www.patriots.com/fanzone/public/index.cfm?ac=feedback

Tell them if you are unhappy and what that means in business terms so they
undersatnd. We want Willie! We want Adam!

JR4 said:

I agree that the Patriots "business" does well when the fans are happy, but I believe the fans aren't happy just because of their favorite players. They're happy because their team WINS. If winning means that some of my favorite players have to go, then so be it. As I've said before, I care more about the name on the front of the jersey rather than the one behind.

Last edited:
here's my letter to the FO:
-------------------------------
I just want to express my opinion on you "business" decision
to cut Willie and not resign Adam.

There is part of the business equation you seem to be forgetting.
The Fans. Good business makes it's customers happy even
if it does cost a little more.

If Adam and Willie were not playing well I would understand.
But Adam can still kick and Willie can still sack with the best
of them .... so make the fans happy .... and get it done ... bring
them back now .... before it's too late.
Make me happy and I will keep buying all the things I buy
every year. How's that for a business perspective.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if it will do any good but at least I tried the best I could
as a fan to get Willie and Adam back.

Last edited:
re:

The Pats are loved as much as they are because they are winners.

Even if the Pats lose both Willie and Adam, but somehow do well the next two years, I am sure we won't be complaining.

I thought losing Bledsoe, Milloy, and Law was terrible, but the Pats were able to win because they allocate all of their dollars wisely. I am sure that will be the case this season as well.

Willie was the 1st pick of the Kraft organization, so if there's a way to bring Willie back, I think he'll be back. Also, if Adam wants to be the highest paid kicker but not chase the highest bidder, he will also be back.

JR4 said:

consequence.

"front office".

I love these guys as much as the next but will you be a happy customer if these business decisions turn into another Super Bowl victory.

BTW, I think Willie will be back.

Willie55 said:
I love these guys as much as the next but will you be a happy customer if these business decisions turn into another Super Bowl victory.

BTW, I think Willie will be back.

So you are saying, cutting Willie and Adam
(who won two superbowls in final seconds) will some how help the PATs
win a superbowl this year????????????????????????????

I 'll go with what I know works ..... THANK YOU!

JR4 said:
So you are saying, cutting Willie and Adam
(who won two superbowls in final seconds) will some how help the PATs
win a superbowl this year????????????????????????????

I 'll go with what I know works ..... THANK YOU!

Adam wasn't cut, he's a free agent.

For what Willie was going to make this year before being cut, you could sign three players. (And like I said I think Willie will be back).

Here's mine:
---------------------------

Dear Patriots,

I loved the team through the sucky years, and I've loved the team even more through the successful years. All I ask is that you continue to do your best at fielding a competitive team, every single year. Nobody is better at it than you, and you've earned my trust and confidence that you will continue.

Personnel choices may anger and sadden us fans, but in the end most of us know... you know what you're doing, and we trust in you to do what's best, in your wisdom, for the New England Patriots.

Just keep winning baby.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Here's mine:

Dear Patriots,

I loved the team through the sucky years, and I've loved the team even more through the successful years. All I ask is that you continue to do your best at fielding a competitive team, every single year. Nobody is better at it than you, and you've earned my trust and confidence that you will continue.

Personnel choices may anger and sadden us fans, but in the end most of us know... you know what you're doing, and we trust in you to do what's best, in your wisdom, for the New England Patriots.

Just keep winning baby.

My sentiments exactly. Good Job T-Shirt.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Here's mine:

Dear Patriots,

Just keep winning baby.

YES. Exactly.

JR4 said:
Tired of winning??? Is that what you are saying?? I am glad you are now a spokesman for all the fans..Apparently wiinning 3 Superbowls in 5 years is NOT good enough for you..Maybe many of the fans are getting tired of so called fans who have zero perspective of the big picture of things. Would you rather have WIllie back at his large cap number and Adam resigned for a megabucks and have the team go 8-8??? Would that make you happy??
Would you go out and buy jerseys and hats more if they did that?? Moer than any sport..football is a TEAM game. And with the salary cap tied into the success of any team, "business" in this sense is really FOOTBALL related. SO with business being tied like that..it is a football decision that they are making NOT just business. It is NOT baseball where money can flood in..there is a cap, and by keeping both players at a high salary, it may indeed limit what the team needs to do to win!! So as much as you may cry business..it is a football one as well. I think you do need to become more educated about the cap and the puzzle of players, money chemsitry that every coach and GM has to deal with. This is not the 1960s when players stayed with teams for life..it's mighty diifferent and BB/SP have navigated the tough waters and produced winners. Adam,,,WIllie, I'd love to have them back with the team..but at what expense??? I do think there is a shot that both will be back..and that will be good..but they may not..but if that happens, I will know that this Patriot organization tried their best to keep them without upsetting the applecart of salary structure. Maybe you don't emember the Celtics of the late 80s..the Big Three. I was a fan of the team for decades..and I could not see them losing any of the three..In retrospect, they held onto them for a long time and it sunk the team oneywise into the depths of mediocrity. Times have changed and with that viable solutions. I would also hope that fans who see what the team is doing and understand the difficult situation they are in will also e-mail the Patriots and back what they are doing.

Last edited:
We could have franchised Adam and paid Willie a $3.5M roster bonus, along the way to him making $7M this year. Would you all have had the team do that? Is thre any other deal you think could have been offered that the players couldn't possibly refuse?

Why should we presume that a players should be denied their rights to free agency? Are we so afraid that if the players see what they are worth in the market, then it isn't likely that they'll play for us?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Here's mine:

Dear Patriots,

Just keep winning baby.

Well said T, my feeling exactly! :rocker:

Willie55 said:
Adam wasn't cut, he's a free agent.

For what Willie was going to make this year before being cut, you could sign three players. (And like I said I think Willie will be back).

Willie has said he was NOT expecting the 8M .
I bet both Adam and Willie could be done for 6.5M max.
Are they going to get quality players to replace these
guys for much less? These guys are proven winners more than
just on the field ... in the locker room also.

I want two of my favorite players back and I am having a hard time
understanding why they have to go. I am not happy about it.

JR4 said:

consequence.

"front office".

They offered Adam a contract that would KEEP him the highest paid kicker in the game.

WTF do you want them to do??? Hand him a blank freaking check?

I'm still holding out some hope on Willie. That one cuts deep.

But IMO, the Pats have done their part for Adam!

I have decided not to get my panties all in a bunch over the "personnel" issues.
It's easy to do if you love certain players.

There is one thing that I do know. BB & Scott will always try to put the very best team on the field. They will always try to win SB's as long as they are here.

The players, Willie and Adam, have given us all many years of joy. but, so have Bill and Scott. They may or may not resign these guys.

I'm going to put my faith in Bill & Scott that they will do the best for the NE Patriots and if we don't resign Willie or Adam, I'll be sad but I'll move on as a Patriot fan.

JR4 said:

If Willie and Adam come back, it will be for less than $6.5 million, IMO, perhaps closer to $5 mill. The point is that Willie was due to make $7 or 8 million this year. That is completely unacceptable for a player whose career is nearing its end. Cutting him allows him to test the FA waters and then decide whether he wants to come back for the money being offered by the Pats.

We all become attached to players who have come through for us. If we didn't have a salary cap, decisions like these for Adam and Willie would be much easier. Alas, that isn't the world we live in. There's no use getting upset about it. It's not like the Patriots are the only ones in this predicament. The whole league has to play by the same rules.

I won't believe either are gone until they sign with another team. No sense in worrying about something that hasn't taken place yet.

There is no reason to believe that Adam and Willie would have forfeited the right to free agency for a max total of $6.5M. Adam and Willie can always look around for a week and except the patriots last deal before they move on, but I believe that it unreasonable to believe that they would have jumped at the $6.5M max. They would have absolutely no reason to do so.

JR4 said:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back