Welcome to PatsFans.com

"It Was a Joke, Honest...It Was Just a Joke....."

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, May 21, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — A Republican contender for governor has apologized to the West Virginia NAACP and anyone else he offended when he referred to President Barack Obama as "Sambo" and U.S. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi as a "bimbo."

Former Berkeley County Delegate Larry Faircloth insisted Thursday he was only joking at a recent candidates’ forum in Romney and told the Herald-Mail of Hagerstown, Md., that he is neither a racist nor a sexist.

Faircloth is among eight Republicans in a special gubernatorial primary Saturday. Six Democrats are also seeking their party’s nomination to fill the vacancy created by former Gov. Joe Manchin’s election to the U.S. Senate.

Faircloth said he was joking during a discussion about Obama’s re-election bid when he suggested Obama replace Vice President Joe Biden with Sylvester Stallone, then make his campaign slogan, "Vote Sambo, Rambo and Bimbo."

West Virginia candidate apologizes for slur against Obama - BostonHerald.com

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Jessie Jackoff called Jews "Hymies" and he's still going strong, what was Jackoff's excuse?

3. emoney_33

emoney_33 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Was Jessie Jackson mentioned at all, anywhere? You give off high readings on my racist detector.

4. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

A restaurant discontinued to use the name Sambo's in the 80's because it was offensive............the 80's. A quick calculation tells me that was over 30 years ago. So, a politician "today" calls the black president Sambo and says he was only joking. I'm trying to find words. Heck, the book Sambo was also banned in the 80's.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Jessie did it, just like this guy did, who will be punished, why do liberals always try to turn reality and double standard into racism.

Jessie wasn't mentioned anywhere, I MENTIONED JESSIE, welcome to the club, I'm on every liberals race detector and have been for quite a while.

:bricks:

6. emoney_33

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Yes YOU mentioned Jesse because you don't want to discuss the blatant racist remarks of the people in the article, so you try to turn the tables around. If you aren't racist, you are so heavily partisan that your complete ignorance blurs the line between racism and republican cult worship.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Yeah....and I'm pretty sure "bimbo" has been a derogotary term for an empty headed female sexual object since the roaring 20s.

But hey, who knew?

8. Gunnails

Gunnails In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

"Vote Sambo, Rambo and Bimbo."

Ha Ha, it's funny.

9. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +453 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

How stupid can you get? Joke or no joke it was stupid, and it really wasn't funny.

10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Since I don't think most politicians are totally stupid people I have to wonder....do they say things like this deliberately - after having carefully deliberated over it and coming to the conclusion that there are a number of people they will favorably impress with their "wit" and their "willingness" to "call it like it is?"

It's got to be a calculated risk they're willing to take or else why do it?

Using a line like this as part of a speech is different than being overheard on a telephone conversation or sending what you think is a private email....it's not off-the-cuff or spontaneous - it's part of a prepared set of remarks which have been specially prepared for a specific audience - and what better way to get some national exposure while you're at it?

Saying "It was a joke," isn't even pausible denial - words like "Sambo" and "Bimbo" aren't deniable - they don't mean anything else, they don't signify anything else and they certainly can't be mistaken as anything other than stereotypical racist/sexist names for blacks and women.

If someone like this wins - does he win because of his "jokes" or in spite of them?

It didn't go over to big for the Macca-guy - but that doesn't mean it won't work in West Virginia....there seems to be two people here already who find nothing wrong in what he said.

I can't say for sure - but I'd bet they'd not let it deter them from voting for him if they lived in his district.

11. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

It's not either-or...

12. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +453 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

He's just doing what the other side does all the time. No excuse, but it is done by both sides all the time.

I think it's racist to have a racist detector. It's also really lazy to keep playing the race card.

13. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Are racists a race? :)

Funny thing is, Harry cant seem to make up his mind about whether to brag about being branded a racist or whine about it.

14. Gunnails

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

The first time I saw the Steve Martins the Jerk I thought it was unfunny, Later I saw it again and felt it was hilarious.

Maybe it was the $4 I spent to see it at the theater, and after the build up it had, I was expecting more.

Sometimes you just have to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate good humor.

15. emoney_33

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Are you really defending him in the name of partisanship? And in what world does "well he did it too!" qualify as a valid defense? I'm fairly certain that type of attitude should be left in childhood.

No, no it's not at all. It's this phony bull idea that you can't ever call someone a racist that enables racism. This bull from dropping n-bombs to defending racist slurs, I will never stand for it and if it means I can't participate in conversation here so be it.

There is no card, I'm not dropping anything, I'm calling out obvious, blatant bigotry. I do not make race an issue, but I sure as hell will call anyone out that so clearly does.

16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

"good humor"?

Sounds like a joke a 6th grader would come up with

17. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +253 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

i dunno. I think he's kicking himself in the butt right now. No doubt he's a hero now to some crackers but I think he really thought he was being funny to a limited audience. He has to know now that he hurt himself with this, that is unless he's even more of a moron that he's already shown.

18. Gunnails

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

======================================

I take it you never saw the Jerk.:)

19. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Many, many years ago

(just to be clear, I wasn't referring to the Jerk before)

20. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +453 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

First I'm not defending him, he can do that himself. I'm just pointing out that he's doing what people on both side do all the time, deflect and change the subject.

How do you know that he is a racist? Do you know the man? Do you know what life experiences he has had? I don't, but I'll not call him a racist until I know it for a fact.

He didn't defend the comment, he pointed out Jesse Jackson's comments. I wouldn't have done that, but he made a legit point. Why did Jackson get a free pass? So, how is that racists?

I don't know who used the "n" word repeatedly because I didn't read it. Was it used in the same way that Dave Chappelle uses it? Why is it OK for Chappelle to use it repeatedly as he does, and quite funny I might add, and it's not OK for someone else to use it in the same way?

There seems to be a double standard and the ist terms are too easily thrown out, mostly by those on the left, as if they are the only non ist in the world. I'm getting sick of it to be quite honest.

And one more thing, will this lockout ever end?