Welcome to PatsFans.com

It SUCKS to be UNEMPLOYED right NOW

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Nov 12, 2008.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Ohio is one of states which is running low on unemployment money. Your state is also in bad situation.

[link to www.nelp.org]

It's a PDF file. Download and read it for yourself. It's getting worse.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -22

It gives me great comfort to know as a state retiree from RI that they are nearly insolvent.. acid reflux time.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Don't forget to send Jimmy, Chris, Barney, and Bubba "thank-you" notes.

//
  4. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

You look forward to receiving a retirement paycheck from government and you are not going to receive it in the end.

Will you continue working until you drop death instead of retiring? It's only choice.

If they can't give you the money for your retirement, i doubt that they will give you a SS check.

If you don't save your money, you are in big trouble.
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I doubt it will happen that way. Some stats pensions are just crazy, though. Don't know about the NE states but here in CA they're just too much, that's part of the problem.

Regarding this list, most of the states in trouble voted Blue this year so they can let Obama fix the problem in 70 days or so.
  6. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Do you live in CA? So do I.

10% sale tax in CA, the highest in US. Thank you for idiots who voted for measure R. Yes, the same people who VOTED for Obama.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Yeah, I live in the desert. Not what most consider to be CA - and I wish we could be in NV instead, we sure look like Nevada.

Anyway I have a friend who is a system admin at one of the CSUs. He gets ridiculous retirement after 30 years. Close to 100% of his final salary plus health care. It's crazy, you don't need that much when you're retired and we just can't afford it.
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -10

Hell, 50% of your pay upon retirement is awesome! I could live on that along with 101K + social security...no problem at all.
  9. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Governor is talking about cutting education FUND. I think that your friend pension is not going to last.:D
  10. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I see reductions coming to pension plans both private and state coming in the near future. Can you say "generation war"? My dad was a 30 yr. employee for the state of Ct. He gets an absurd amount of money(80% of his best 3 yr average) in retirement as well as the best healthcare on the planet for he and my mom for the rest of their lives. They don't build plans like that anymore. There is no way that plans like that are sustainable. By the way, it's alot of fun being a member of generation X and knowing that we will never have a retirement like that, let alone a retirement at all. Will soc. security even be in existence in 25 years? I doubt it. That gives one quite a bit of incentive to be a productive member of this clusterphuk of a country.
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -10

Good to see you back as your optimistic old self Mossed!;)
  12. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yes, come gather round the campfire and sing Cumbaya as Rome burns.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Right, I expect to be able to get 34% (or so) of my final salary + SS + my 401K and I consider that to be great.
  14. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately, i'm in this catarory. I guess your DREAM can only go that FAR.:D
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Exactly and it makes no sense with SS also there. No sense at all and totally unsustainable.
  16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -10

The one time ALL Americans deserve to live decently is in their final years. but should someone who gets an 80% pension also receive social security? I don't think so. Maybe they don't, does anyone know?
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

My wife will get about 65% when she retires but she won't get SS. I can't imagine getting 65% PLUS SS.
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -10

If you work for the gov't, I doubt you get SS and a pension check. but if you are lucky enough to work for a private company with a pension plan, I think you get both. Again, I don't think you "should" get both, but you might.
  19. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My dad gets 80% plus soc security. My parents own 2 homes outright, their cars and have no debt. I call their generation, "the blessed ones". I have a bud from NY who's parents were both teachers and collect pensions form NY and s.s. They own 2 homes, including one in Wellfleet sitting on big acreage there, and one in Yonkers, worth $1 mill. Can you imagine teachers living like this? It's unreal. There is no way in hell that middle class working people can expect to live like this in the future. It sucks.
  20. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

As a state worker if i can last i'm looking at 40% for a pension and SS. I belong to what is call the smart plan I have $400 taken out a week,but my check reads that $625 taken out. So the state matches up to a certain point. Plus our long term investments (i'm not worried about them thats more than ten years from now) This is going to be cold but i have direct deposit,i rarely open a check. I'm not even sure what we have in the bank. I leave basic financial matters up to my wife. I'm cavalier about what is in the bank,but at the same time i'm still worried about retiring in a dozen years.
    People who have been laid off or let go have to start looking for jobs that are in-elastic,jobs that will ALWAYS be needed no matter what and re-educate them selves even if their in their late 40's or 50's. I did it others can too.