PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It still hasn't hit me Welker is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, textbook confirmation bias. You believe what you want to believe.

Lots of reports out there telling a different story then the one Mr. Kraft is telling.

Lots of reports out there telling a different story then the one Mr. Kraft is telling.

That's nice, but doesn't really diminish the point I was making. You want to believe the Pats screwed Welker over, and that determines which sources you lend credence to and those you choose to disregard.

Remember when Randy Moss was traded? Remember people thought it was good for Brady to lose his binky?

You mean the year they got rid of Moss in September and Brady went on to put up a 36-4 TD-INT ratio and won the NFL MVP by UNANIMOUS vote?

Yeah, I remember that - -what's your point?

Last edited:
You mean the year they got rid of Moss in September and Brady went on to put up a 36-4 TD-INT ratio and won the NFL MVP by UNANIMOUS vote?

Yeah, I remember that - -what's your point?

Stats don't win championships. He had a great year but when it mattered most they didn't have the deep threat to spread the defense.

I don't get it. People fall back on what the Pats did during the regular season. When it mattered most all it took was one coach (Jets, Rex Ryan)to figure out that the Pats didn't have a deep threat to spread the defense so what did they do? The jets stacked the box which shut down the short to mid field game and also shut down the run game because there was nobody they had to respect for the deep passes. No deep threat! No need to spread the defense! Pats have had that problem ever since they let Moss go.

So you can point to the MVP's, the regular season stats all you want but to deny not having Moss there or not replacing him with a deep threat didn't ultimately hurt the team when it counted most is just plain ignorant.

Stats don't win championships. He had a great year but when it mattered most they didn't have the deep threat to spread the defense.

I don't get it. People fall back on what the Pats did during the regular season. When it mattered most all it took was one coach (Jets, Rex Ryan)to figure out that the Pats didn't have a deep threat to spread the defense so what did they do? The jets stacked the box which shut down the short to mid field game and also shut down the run game because there was nobody they had to respect for the deep passes. No deep threat! No need to spread the defense! Pats have had that problem ever since they let Moss go.

So you can point to the MVP's, the regular season stats all you want but to deny not having Moss there or not replacing him with a deep threat didn't ultimately hurt the team when it counted most is just plain ignorant.

So how did the deep threat Moss work out for them the year before....and the year before......Did they do any better in the playoffs?

Yawn. It's a 53 man team.

Last edited:
Eh, Welker will be back in about two seasons.

Without Welker we are screwed.

Absolutely positively screwed

The Pats did wrong by me.

I will still root for this sorry ace organization.

I am just kinda kidding around, everyone chill out, pat the hairs down on your back...calm down

However, remember this...

Wes Welker hit down HARD - YouTube

and this...

Wes Welker Gets Hit Hard - YouTube

...the new kid has ok hands but this system is gonna call those plays, and when the new kid takes those hits and gets back up for 5+ years with league leading production, then we got us a replacement.

The bar has been set...

So how did the deep threat Moss work out for them the year before....and the year before......Did they do any better in the playoffs?

Yawn. It's a 53 man team.

Um, they had the Giants SB won with Moss going into the last two minutes. Maybe it was being out coached. The Pats tend to be out coached in the post season. They open it up all regular season, they play to win. They get to the post season and they play to not lose. There was no way that 2007 team should lose that SB. Out coached!

Go back and watch that SB of the 1990 Giants when BB was the defensive coordinator. At the end of the game when the Bills were moving the ball easily, on their way to win in their final drive Parcells storms down the sidelines and gets all over BB for playing the loose, bend but don't break, prevent defense or what ever you want to call it. He almost blew that game. Same thing happened in 07 with the exception of them not getting a defensive stop. It was the coaching that blew it.

I don't say that as a BB hater, I became a fan of his when he was with the Browns. I became a Pats fan because of his move to the Patriots as the head coach. But it doesn't stop me from being critical of the guy. Just because I'm a a fan doesn't make me watch with blinders on, defending every move right or wrong. He gets my praise when he deserves it but I will question his moves when they look to be bad moves.

Without Welker we are screwed.

Absolutely positively screwed

The Pats did wrong by me.

I will still root for this sorry ace organization.

I am just kinda kidding around, everyone chill out, pat the hairs down on your back...calm down

However, remember this...

Wes Welker hit down HARD - YouTube

and this...

Wes Welker Gets Hit Hard - YouTube

...the new kid has ok hands but this system is gonna call those plays, and when the new kid takes those hits and gets back up for 5+ years with league leading production, then we got us a replacement.

The bar has been set...

LOL! Good post. One thing everyone tends to forget is Brady and Welker made the system. They weren't just part of it. Hopefully Amendola can be part of a new improved system they develop together. I'm cheering for the guy, I hope he can come in and do great things. I, along with many, many others pegged him as Welker 2.0 a few seasons ago. I think it's safe to say most here could see Amendola coming here at some point. Problem is the last two years he has been off the field more then he has been on the field. It raises legit concerns.

The bar has been set...

Yes, but, where will Welker be in years 3, 4 and 5?

My guess is on a ranch in Oklahoma. THAT is when the real value of the Amendola deal can be seen.

It all came down to age.

It doesn't matter if Amendola puts up better numbers than the Welker of 2007-2012. All that matters is that Amendola puts up better numbers than the Welker of 2013-2017.

Anyone looking at a different parameter is wasting time.

Um, they had the Giants SB won with Moss going into the last two minutes.

Same thing in Super Bowl 46 without Moss.

Your point?

Last edited:
Welker should be a Patriot. I believe the one offer, take or leave it story.

What bothers me about that story is that the person telling it had insisted, loudly, that there was no offer made, whatsoever, period!

So I guess you can chose to believe his admission that he was lying before.

I also do not find his new story different in any meaningful way to Kraft's story. Kraft came on strong to refute the contention that the Patriots had made no offer to Wes. Then he said that they had made a good offer (apparently the take or leave it offer) and that Wes had turned it down.

Once that happens you move to plan B, since if you wait and wait on plan A forever then you miss out on plans B, C, and D.

Then 24 or 48 hours later when plan A comes calling again, after plan B is all wrapped up, you shake hands, say "sorry dude, too late" and move on.

Business is business, and that's how business is done.

Timelines, decision points, and go/no-go decisions.

Big boy stuff.

It's hit me, pretty hard. I think the Pats handled the Welker situation all wrong, and it's going to come back to bite them. It's even more painful to read that at the end of the day Welker's agent was an *****, the Pats let things go too long and couldn't fix it, and Welker is now in Denver, which nobody really wanted.

Time to move on, whether we like it or not (and I for one, definitely do NOT like it). I also think Kraft should stop talking now. It isn't going to make a difference and getting into a public pissing contest with an agent is beneath him.

I don't think not seeing him in a Pats uniform will affect me much, but seeing him in a Broncos uniform will be a different story.

It's hit me, pretty hard. I think the Pats handled the Welker situation all wrong, and it's going to come back to bite them. It's even more painful to read that at the end of the day Welker's agent was an *****, the Pats let things go too long and couldn't fix it, and Welker is now in Denver, which nobody really wanted.

Time to move on, whether we like it or not (and I for one, definitely do NOT like it). I also think Kraft should stop talking now. It isn't going to make a difference and getting into a public pissing contest with an agent is beneath him.

Hater.....................

Go be a jets fan.

What bothers me about that story is that the person telling it had insisted, loudly, that there was no offer made, whatsoever, period!

So I guess you can chose to believe his admission that he was lying before.

I also do not find his new story different in any meaningful way to Kraft's story. Kraft came on strong to refute the contention that the Patriots had made no offer to Wes. Then he said that they had made a good offer (apparently the take or leave it offer) and that Wes had turned it down.

Once that happens you move to plan B, since if you wait and wait on plan A forever then you miss out on plans B, C, and D.

Then 24 or 48 hours later when plan A comes calling again, after plan B is all wrapped up, you shake hands, say "sorry dude, too late" and move on.

Business is business, and that's how business is done.

Timelines, decision points, and go/no-go decisions.

Big boy stuff.

Right on the money. It is clear Patriots loved Welker and wanted him here for life, and they pursued him relentlessly for the last couple of years but Welker continued to insist on 120 million and refused to apologize for costing the Kraft's 2 Super Bowls. His desire to be the highest paid receiver in football and only play 6 regular season games a year cost him his job with he Patriots. What a diva, screw him and his lazy assed "I only want to play 6 games a year and be paid like Calvin johnson attitude." I am mad-mad emoticon here

It's kind of like in Goodfellas

"What do you mean he's gone?"

"you know, he's gone (clears throat)... Uh, gone. And there wasn't nothing we could do about it."

Then he slams the phone receiver down a half dozen times.

"They whacked him."

It was payback for Billy Batts...and a lot of other things.

That's just the way it goes.

Change is good.

I though I was the biggest Wes Welker fan on here, Ivan, but you take the cake.

I can't even come close to mustering up your ability to create from whole cloth some imaginary chorus of Welker-haters that you claim to see and hear, with voices coming from behind every tree who are blaming him for every loss and saying he was some ingrateful money-grubber trying to destroy the franchise.

news flash: No significant number of people here think anything of the sort.

It's sad to see him go. My favorite Pats player. Gone forever.

It's a really tough business sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back