PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It never stops with the Steelers--Willie Colon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradfordPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
From Reiss' blog:

"We beat ourselves, to be honest. We did, for the most part, what we had to do. That wasn�t our best performance. They got away with the two gadget plays. It is what it is. They didn�t break our spirit. If we come back we are going to be ready, I know that for sure."

Uh huh. Sounds like a certain team's Super Bowl victory a few years ago as well.

From Reiss' blog:

"We beat ourselves, to be honest. We did, for the most part, what we had to do. That wasn�t our best performance. They got away with the two gadget plays. It is what it is. They didn�t break our spirit. If we come back we are going to be ready, I know that for sure."

Uh huh. Sounds like a certain team's Super Bowl victory a few years ago as well.

That Steeler's team is so well-coached that a play-action fake is considered a gadget play.

Colon: "Whoah!!!! Did you see that? The QB went back like he was going to hand off the ball, only he didn't. He just pretended to hand it off. Then he threw it to his open receiver. Amazing!! Never saw that before..!!!"

Last edited:
From Reiss' blog:

what a loser, wasnt he the one gettin abused by Vrabez alll game?...

From Reiss' blog:

Meanwhile that Steelers chump was holding Vrabel on practically every pass play.

You would think a play action pass wouldn't ever work when you never run the ball. I guess the Steelers didn't get the memo.

Some players have so much pride that I can give them a pass for deluding themselves like this. It's natural to puff your chest a bit when you're still hurt from getting beaten.

It was a really really good play action fake, though.

The fact that Maroney had one dominating run on first down set it up. That was a heck of a run.

I guess the other gadget part of the offense was where the team found a way to pick the blitz to pieces with precision passing to the short open spots. If the QB is allowed to throw to the same guy 5 times in a row, maybe you should just STFU and go back and look at film.

The reality is that Steelers did do a lot well. I kind of felt the same after the Cowboys game too. But both games were 21 pointers. When the Patriots bring their A game, or even their B+, they can leave a lot of teams shaking their heads without really knowing what got them.

From Reiss' blog:

Wow, a play action pass is a "gadget play"? No wonder they got smoked. Their coaches are idiots if they didn't tell them about these new fangled "play action pass thingys"...

Last edited:
The Steelers now have a record of 13-4, I suppose.

Meanwhile that Steelers chump was holding Vrabel on practically every pass play.

Which was about the only thing separating Vrabel from scoring about half a dozen sacks.

Colon's right, the Steelers did beat themselves, part of which was due to his ****ty play at right tackle.

They've beat themselves in a number of games this year, but they learned tonight that when you're playing a decent team and you beat yourself, you can still win. When you play the best team in the league and you beat yourself, you lose.

To beat themselves would mean that they made a bunch of uncharacteristic mistakes. Can you honestly say that that's what happened? No, the Pats are just a better team. The Steelers had to play over their heads to win, and they didn't. As good as they are, if the Pats play well, it's just not going to happen for them.

That Steeler's team is so well-coached that a play-action fake is considered a gadget play.

Colon: "Whoah!!!! Did you see that? The QB went back like he was going to hand off the ball, only he didn't. He just pretended to hand it off. Then he threw it to his open receiver. Amazing!! Never saw that before..!!!"

:singing: The only thing gimmicky about it was how bad Smith Bite on it.... Jesus, you gotta know when Randy runs by you like a streak of sh!t, nothing good is gonna come of it for you.

It was a really really good play action fake, though.

The fact that Maroney had one dominating run on first down set it up. That was a heck of a run.

I guess the other gadget part of the offense was where the team found a way to pick the blitz to pieces with precision passing to the short open spots. If the QB is allowed to throw to the same guy 5 times in a row, maybe you should just STFU and go back and look at film.

The reality is that Steelers did do a lot well. I kind of felt the same after the Cowboys game too. But both games were 21 pointers. When the Patriots bring their A game, or even their B+, they can leave a lot of teams shaking their heads without really knowing what got them.

I agree, but to be honest, I'd say, at most it was our B+ game. We still did leave quite a few plays out there. Randy dropped a sure TD. Scary think is, if we brought our A game, we'd have put 10-14 more points on them. That's just offensively too.

That's why I love this team. We played a good team, who did not play poorly, and we came away with the win............. and enough game film for BB to be able to serve up a healthy dose of humble pie.

Not that they will need it against the JEST.

To beat themselves would mean that they made a bunch of uncharacteristic mistakes. Can you honestly say that that's what happened? No, the Pats are just a better team. The Steelers had to play over their heads to win, and they didn't. As good as they are, if the Pats play well, it's just not going to happen for them.

No, it's true, the Patriots are a better team. But greatness is a cross between talent and performance. If, say, the Dolphins played lights-out their best game against New England and New England played their best game, could the Dolphins win?

Not unless a bolt of lightning struck Tom Brady dead in the first quarter or the Goodyear blimp crashed into the Patriots' sideline. The disparity in talent is just too great.

Now, if the Steelers had played their best game tonight and the Patriots played their best game, could the Steelers have won? Sure, because the disparity in talent between the two teams is not that great.

The problem for Pittsburgh is that the Steelers have two weaknesses -- their bull**** secondary and the right half of their line -- that are not only a problem when facing good teams, they simultaneously present problems matching up against New England's greatest strength -- it's passing attack -- and negate Pittsburgh's best hope to exploit New England's most vulnerable point -- the middle of it's defense.

To win (and this is relevant because these two teams could meet in the playoffs and/or New England will face this strategy from the Colts), Pittsburgh -- or really any team -- would have to attack the middle of New England's defense with medium passes, draw the secondary in and the DL out to protect its LBs, and keep the Pats' defense off-kilter with alternating runs and long passes.

But the Steelers would have to do this while chewing up a ton of clock and wearing away at New England's defense, scoring touchdowns not field goals in the red zone. Brady and the New England offense is simply too explosive not to expect that they can score a touchdown from anywhere on the field in 2 minutes or less.

But with 2/5, effectively, of an offensive line, it's really difficult to make this game plan hold water for 60 full minutes. And New England's defense doesn't suck -- it's pretty good actually -- it just presents some opportunities in it's middle.

My point is that when talking about good teams it's not just about "playing well," it's about being in the ballpark, talent-wise, and playing to your opponent's weaknesses while minimizing your own.

Last edited:
Steelers = Pathetic and jealous.

Just like every other team the Pats beat the crap out of.

They're pansies, along with their fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey