PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It might be better for Patriots to lose at least one game during the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
The pressure of trying to stay undefeated week in week out canreally take a toll on a team.
Remember the Colts from a few years ago.

MUCH more important to win the Superbowl.

Of course it would be great to go 16-0 BUT not at the expense of the ultimate prize.

Of course I think they will try to win each game......but if a regular season loss occurrs it could be a blessing in disguise

I disagree. It's never better to lose a game, and the players will say the same. "Pressure" of being undefeated really is only as big an obstacle as you let it become. If the team continues to focus on each individual opponent, and execute their gameplan, they won't get lost in the hype.

Hell, it could act as a positive in terms of motivating the team for possible letdown games late in the season and keeping them sharp for the playoff.

The pressure of trying to stay undefeated week in week out canreally take a toll on a team.

Of course it would be great to go 16-0 BUT not at the expense of the ultimate prize.

Of course I think they will try to win each game......but if a regular season loss occurrs it could be a blessing in disguise

One game at a time...

Absolutely 100% disagree. You can find things to coach to in victories. Its better to play badly and win (Cleveland) than lose. Stupid premise to need a loss for playoff success.

While i kind of agree with you, I have a different take. A SB win is the ultimate victory..yes, But an undefeated season would be something that hasnt occoured since 1972, If we could accomplish that goal..

We had a similar stupid idea when teh Pats won 14 in a row or whatever it was to close out the 2003 season.

"they can't win out the entire rest of the way, so better to lose now and get it out of the way" and other such garbage.

i've never heard a coach say, wow this pressure is too much, LETS GO LOSE TODAY!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

With the entire circus this season has been, I imagine playing each game is a relief for the players. Largely veteran team, they've heard it all before. Purely unifying and fuel. For players like Moss, who haven't won much before, the thrill of winning trumps all. Not a single one of them would be relieved by losing.

From Moss doubters to spy-gate, or the SD "revenge game", etc.

Last edited:

Well, what comes first, the chicken or the egg? Did the Colts experiencing mounting pressure to go undefeated cause them to lose, or were the simply not-quite-good-enough to go undefeated. I suspect the latter. And the working concept with this year's Pats is that they ARE good enough to possibly go undefeated. And if there's ever been a coach who keeps his team level headed enough not to succumb to such peripheralness, it's Coach Belichick. How do you think they managed to keep winning and winning in 2003 when they were as talented as they are now?

And after 3 Super Bowls in a 4 year span. what other ultimate prize is there other than going undefeated? I'm guessing BB would go all out to win an otherwise meaningless 16th game if they are 15-0 at that point.

Completely and utterly disagree, and I'm surprised it took this long for someone to post this horrible logic.

If you can't handle the "pressure" of going undefeated, you can't handle the pressure at the Super Bowl if you get that far.

As Herm said, "You play the game to Win".

I thought this thread was a reference to what everyone was saying we should do in 2003....

We didn't do it then and we shouldn't do it now.

I am a one at a game koolaid drinker..

So I do the one game at a time thing, does not make any difference if we are 16-0, 15-1, 14-2 or 13-3.. all I really care about is HF advantage and 3-0 in the post season.

No, no, no, no.

And the streak should get no attention in the locker room. All attention should be focussed on winning the next game. Period.

This is the kind of rationalization that can be more logically applied AFTER a team loses. I think you play every game to win. I don't expect you'll see BB playing it soft if we wrap up home field early, because there's a chance you can lose that edge and not get it back when you really need it. If we go into the Giants game at 15-0, I'd be pissed if we didn't do everything possible to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes