PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It Looks Like No Long term Deal between Pats and Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gasper analysis

I agree and I wanted to stop short of playing capologist. Reiss stated in his chat that WW was looking for around $18m in guarantees. Thats obviously a big chunk of change and I assume that has an impact on how they can lay out cash/spread it out over WWs contract AND find a way to satify/meet the contractual demands of the aformentioned players.

Keep in mind Brady's cap # will be around $22m next year. Maybe they are trying to restructure that and move some money that is owed to him up? Just don't know. Need to look at Brady's deal more.

Could they still at some point negotiate a long-term deal with WW AND keep the players I mention? I think there is a chance but they are have a number of young players that they need to pay if they want to keep them.

Just suggesting that this may be part of why the Pats and WW can settle on a deal.

If Reiss is right, and that's a big if, and all Welker was looking for was $18M guaranteed, then not getting a 3 year deal done is really foolish because it would have been a lot cap friendlier than a year at $9.5M and a year at $11.4M and a year at their dicretion essentially with nothing but unguaranteed salary and $3M +/- in remaining amortization to account for in 2014. And that unguaranteed 2014 salary is something they can squeeze a 33 year old Welker to adjust to whatever they need it to be or feel he's worth down to vet min.

Welker isn't impacting the future the way some here seem to have to characterize him impacting it to rationalize what just happened. None of those future deals need be structured in a way that they take up a lot of cap in the first year or even 2. Gronkowski's deal certainly doesn't. His deal spikes in year 5 when Brady may no longer be here and even if he is it can be restructured at that point to adjust for that. Brady will not have a $22M cap hit next season unless they plan to walk away from him after 2014. And even if that were the case since it already makes tagging him impossible (a tag of $26M+) they would then likely push a couple of million forward to make just the final year cap hit unpalatable.

And any talk of extending Hoyer is silly. He's gone after this season because (like all young developmental backups) he wants a chance to compete for a starting job and here all he can do is backup and hope for a shot that may never come. They won't pay him what he can get on the open market as a QB competing for a starting gig. Those guys get deals that average at least $2-3M plus very makable incentives. They wouldn't have tendered him if they even anticipated Mallett progressing to the point Hoyer did in his first camp... Hoyer was a #2 here as a rookie UDFA with no #3 on the roster and Brady coming back from an ACL.

If Mallet doesn't challenge Hoyer in the next 6 weeks you will see another QB drafted in 2013 and likely see a journeyman they once had interest in brought in to compete for that #2 slot in 2013-2014. Heck, if the wheels fall off Pioli's wagon in KC that guy could be Cassel as a failed franchise QB with limited upside elsewhere who was neither as good or bad as various factions assumed but is fine in limited duty in the right well established situation. And a year or two after that Hoyer could be back as a #2-3 safety valve as they transition from Brady to whomever replaces him as a starter here in 5 years.

Bill simply doesn't like paying market for the WR position and will only do so with a gun held to his head. Which would be fine if it didn't consistently put so much stress on the unit and the QB to deal with that mentality while running the most complex offense in the league year in and year out. BB has 2 years tops to figure that unit out again whether via the draft or more FA signings though because the entire unit currently has a 2013-14 expiration date stamped on it...

And this team is in great position cap wise going forward with more than $30M in cap space in 2013 before they even do whatever they will do about Brady's existing cap hit. And they should also be in good shape cash wise since they haven't really doled out any bonus to speak of this season (Welker is all salary) beyond their rookies and a few mid level FA's, Brady's $10M restructure and Gronk's deal that only required $8M up front. A Brady extension will likely cost them about $30M in cash up front, but he's also always been flexible and cooperative with them in structuring bonus money payout over 2 calendar years to allow them to manage cash flow they way they manage cap.

Bill simply doesn't like paying market for the WR position and will only do so with a gun held to his head. Which would be fine if it didn't consistently put so much stress on the unit and the QB to deal with that mentality while running the most complex offense in the league year in and year out.

+1

....and this is the main reason, IMO.

Last edited:

The Gronk deal is extremely team friendly and the "gotta pay everyone else" argument about Welker is a red herring.

It's absolutely relevant when someone tries to bring the "because Welker didn't get his money, other players will be mad" argument to the table.

Welker wasn't signed for the same reason neither Givens nor Branch were and Gaffney wasn't retained. Because Belichick doesn't value the WR position at anything approaching market value despite the near insurmountable difficulty encountered in locating anyone who can play the position within this system the way it demands. And because the one time he did pay a guy top of the market to remain here at age 31 that guy failed to deliver the same production value thereafter and eventually he became a sufficient organizational headache that they had to move on from him. And because at the moment Belichick is in posession of every WR still playing who ever had success within the system. Albeit all at age 31 or older.

Next season if Welker is gone and Branch is gone and Gaffney and Stallworth (if he even makes the roster) and Lloyd all end up hitting that wall at 32 everyone insists exists, while Wes doesn't somewhere else, the same people presently defending their decision and downplaying Welker's value will be berserk because teams will be having a comparative field day limiting the two shiny young TE's...and Edleman if he's-re signed... Well, let's just say they won't be championing Belichick the GM... Not to mention they will probably be screaming for the head of McDaniels the once again incompetent coordinator. And they will likely be lobbying for the Mallett era to commence.

And anyone who points this thread out to them will or how easily he could have been retained will be attacked for trying to play the told you so card. Because that's kind of the way it always goes here.

I promise if I log in one day during the 2013 season to see a Patsfanken rant b*tching about our by then ancient receiving core and/or b*itching about the lack of options for brady and doubling of the TE's I will bump everyone of his post from this thread and also copy and paste them to his new thread. I don't even care of I'm banned. Your scenario isn't at all far-fetched. Let's say B. Lloyd plays well this year and hits the proverbial wall in '13 or gets injured etc. With no Welker, and Gaffney as your #1 that's a sh*t WR core and our TE's are getting hit with the kitchen sink moving forward.

Be careful what you wish for, you just may receive it. BB tinkering with the Welker-Brady connection in the twilight of his career will leave such a nasty taste in our mouths if things get ugly in '13 and beyond that 2006 will seem like 2001. It could possibly take us years to develop another receiver.

I promise if I log in one day during the 2013 season to see a Patsfanken rant b*tching about our by then ancient receiving core and/or b*itching about the lack of options for brady and doubling of the TE's I will bump everyone of his post from this thread and also copy and paste them to his new thread. I don't even care of I'm banned. Your scenario isn't at all far-fetched. Let's say B. Lloyd plays well this year and hits the proverbial wall in '13 or gets injured etc. With no Welker, and Gaffney as your #1 that's a sh*t WR core and our TE's are getting hit with the kitchen sink moving forward.

Be careful what you wish for, you just may receive it. BB tinkering with the Welker-Brady connection in the twilight of his career will leave such a nasty taste in our mouths if things get ugly in '13 and beyond that 2006 will seem like 2001. It could possibly take us years to develop another receiver.

And what if it goes the complete opposite direction, are you and the rest of the Welker kool chuggers going to admit how wrong you were?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back