PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buchanty

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Cant wait for the games to begin so that they take the headlines instead of all this scuttlebut. This is so depressing because at the end of it all we will still not have a definitive answer on the legitimacy of signal capture. Furthermore we will have nothing but greyness around the rules concerning technology, because by default they are going to change as technology advances. That greyness gave rise to BB's misinterpretation but far far worse the misrepresentation of the media into calling the Patriots cheaters.

I would like to suggest an analogy because somehow Patriot fans need some reasoning to counteract the indecent charges of cheating (after all according to the NFL signal stealing is sort of legit - viz Patriots v Miami). The analogy is that of a person stopped for speeding, they get a ticket, respond guilty to the charge and take the penalty. Now if that driver happens to be on the run for another crime and the police check and arrest him for that crime as well, the offender is prosecuted separately for the crime and the misdemenour.

As far as I know BB and Patriots have not been officially charged with cheating. They were charged and sentenced for the misdemeanor of using a videotape on the sidelines. The media and a number of NFL players (who should know better) have assumed that the misdemeanor is proof of cheating yet that has never been that charge.

To go back to the analogy the Patriots have been stopped for speeding and the media has assumed they have been stopped for robbery or assault and have resisted arrest.

This in no way condones what BB did. But he did take responsibility for it and clearly indicated in his statement that the commissioner had acknowledged that the misdemeanour had no impact on the game. BB further added that they have never used that method for games in process. Whether the media likes it or not BB should not be doubted. He may be guilty of misdirection but not of lying.

The Patriots have been punished, BB has been punished and though the loss of a draft pick is pretty steep for the misdemeanor they need to accept it and move on, as I believe they are trying to do.

Seems that the uninformed, the disingenous and the those choosing to ignore the facts continually refer to the Patriots as cheaters, despite the fact that no such charge has been levied by the NFL.

Guess I need to modify the analogy as well, since no matter where you are speeding is a violation at any time. To make the analogy more accurate this is much more like a parking violation - because it's OK to park most places but not at specific spots and/or not at specific times. According to the NFL it is not cheating to capture signals, its not even illegal to videotape signals, you just cant do it from the sidelines. So you can vidoetape signals from the stands, front row seats or an air balloon just not on the sidelines.

First draft pick and 3/4 million dollar parking fine - from traffic warden Goodell

Please move on.

A punishment was handed down. He's accepting it. Life goes on. At the end of the day it's a game which seems to be lost on 90% of the people whailing in hysterics.

A punishment was handed down. He's accepting it. Life goes on. At the end of the day it's a game which seems to be lost on 90% of the people whailing in hysterics.

But what do we tell our children who idolize the Patriots?

First of all do not tell your children to idolize a bunch of men who can make mistakes..

Second of all, it is what it is, the culture of the NFL.. all about winning and taking no prisoners.

But what do we tell our children who idolize the Patriots?

I know I'm probably on the younger end here, but I don't have kids. Whatever you feel is necessary to talk your kids about is your business, but I don't think Bill Belichick paying $500K is going to be a relevant topic in my life 15 years from now.

Last edited:

Exactly

Violation --> Penalty --> Move on

What makes me the most mad is how people try to say our chmptionships were tainted!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back