PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It is time to admit it; he is nothing more than a system QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
It is time to face the fact. Brett Farve is nothing more than a system QB. Look at what Rodgers is doing in that system. He is making Farve look very pedestrian. And it the Jets system he is no better than Chad Pennington. As much as everyone want to think Farve is a great HOF QB, it is clear he is nothing more than a system QB. :D

:)

After the game I was explaining the logical fallacy of those who claimed Brady was a system QB before 2008 but then the same people said the Patriots were screwed when they lost him.

As for Favre, the Packers do look better without him but Favre is an upgrade over Kellen Clemens in NY ;)

It is time to face the fact. Brett Farve is nothing more than a system QB. Look at what Rodgers is doing in that system. He is making Farve look very pedestrian. And it the Jets system he is no better than Chad Pennington. As much as everyone want to think Farve is a great HOF QB, it is clear he is nothing more than a system QB. :D

I'm not a Favre fan but this post could'nt be further from the truth. GB has a young and talented roster, not to mention they played DET and one dimensional Minn. Rogers will stumble at some point and Favre is eventually going into the hall of fame.

These kind of wins vindicate Bill and Tom. With Tom we'd probably have a had a bigger margin of victory (though the D may not have had as good a game) with TD's.

We still won, a different way. To me, that's proof that they're both great (to outsiders, we all knew it).

Even jets fans admitted they were out-coached. That punt thing near the end was golden, haha.

I'm not a Favre fan but this post could'nt be further from the truth. GB has a young and talented roster, not to mention they played DET and one dimensional Minn. Rogers will stumble at some point and Favre is eventually going into the hall of fame.

Dude, turn on your sarcasm detector...

Considering hes played for about 3 coaches and the Mccarthy regime is fairly new calling Farve a system QB is pretty dumb.

Now I hate the Jets just as much as the next guy, but Farve is still Farve and thats statistically the best QB ever to play. Personally hes probably top 5 on my rankings all time.

If anything he's the complete opposite of a "system QB". He's at his best when he freelances. But then he can also be at his worst when he does that. lol So it's all relative to the talent surrounding him. In Green Bay he had it, in NY not so much. ;)

.... Farve is still Farve and thats statistically the best QB ever to play. Personally hes probably top 5 on my rankings all time.
He's #1 in one category...most interceptions. He regularly throw balls up for grabs and the picks show it. Eli is proud to model his game after Favre.

FWIW, Babe Ruth owns the record for most strikeouts

LMAO, great thread

What Favre is is a sandlot superstar. He relies on his arm and his instincts to make things happen. Sometimes he gets good results, other times no so good. He has to have a lot of talent around him and that talent has to have the capacity to freelance on the same wavelength as the QB. He doesn't want them worrying about system because the more they think the less instinctivly they play. And still games remain a relative crap shoot his way, particularly against better coached or more talent defenses who have a pretty good book on what his way entails and the pitfalls to watch for.

The NFL is a coaches league with a salary cap where you have to make due with what you can afford. That is accomplished via system. Install and teach a good one and even marginal talent can help you win with reasonable consistency. Add better talent to that system and you win with more consistency.

Mangini and Shotsie, Jr. might as well watch JETS games from a luxury booth going forward. Brett ain't following no damned gameplan, his gameplan is do what I do and give us a chance. Details like personnel packages, formations, scheme mean nada to him. He did it the system way in GB 2007 to placate that HC and GM, and while it worked to an extent it didn't win him another ring and it exhausted him mentally in the process. It means nothing to him that adhering to a system built a foundation that is now paying dividends in GB in his absence...as far as he's concerned they should have shut down Lambeau once he retired and he only came back to underscore their foolishness. The fact that GB seems to be not only surviving but thriving has forced him to take the laughable stand that the backup obviously learned a lot just watching him...

If your system is not about accommodating Brett Favre he's not interested in it.

While I understand the OP was not overly serious, there is a hint ot truth in it. Not that Favre is only successful because of the Green Bay system...just that the GB version of the West Coast offense is really all he has known. It is a lot to expect him to be overly successful in a more traditional scheme.

That is the part of the Jets signing Favre that I was curious about. Would they try to incorporate aspects of the WCO to make him more comfortable? So far it doesn't look like it. I think the Jets have the skill players to do it. However, changing would take innovative coaching/play-calling and that is a deal-breaker.

If the Jets don't run more quick slants, crosses and out routes to get the ball out of Favre's hands quickly, they are likely going to continue to struggle. At least they will be able to keep their 2nd round pick next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes