PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It is pretty obvious to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
that the offensive base for the Patriots will be 2 TE, considering the fact that we drafted for TE depth.

Last year we only had 3 RB on the opening day roster. I think its obvious that BB is going to trim from 6 WR (which we had last year), down to 5, because we are going to need some roster spots if we expand our RB core from 3.

Another thing to consider is the numbers

year.........Brady's completions..........completions to WR.......% of compl. to WR
2005...........334.........208...........62%
2004...........288.........162...........56%
2003...........317.........165...........52%

From these numbers, its obvious to see that last year Brady's completions to his WRs were more than he has had in the last three years. Expect our offense to be closer to the 2003 edition (when Brady threw to his backs and TE) than the 2005 edition (lots of throws to the WRs).

Last edited:
Just a thought on this.

We all know the Patriots have liked the screen pass. Usually to Faulk.

Now they will have the options of Watson, or our shiny new ultra fast and supposedly glue handed RB Maroney. Does anyone else wonder if we might start to see the screen pass work its way back to the top of our offensive repertoire except to younger faster and more sure handed guys?

Patriots-80,

thanks for the numbers, they're very interetsing and I agree with you that the percentages will be thrown back towards the '03 numbers.

The one thing I'll have to say is that the Pats were predominantly (almost exclusively, in fact) a 2 TE team last year and even in 2004 they used a whole lot of 2 TE sets. I think it's quite likely that all 4 TEs will be on the active roster because all 4 of them are solid (at least) ST players. I'm curious to see if Mills can play the role of a 3rd down back with the occasional draw play - similar to the way Larry Centers was used here.

14thDragon said:
Just a thought on this.

Now they will have the options of Watson, or our shiny new ultra fast and supposedly glue handed RB Maroney. Does anyone else wonder if we might start to see the screen pass work its way back to the top of our offensive repertoire except to younger faster and more sure handed guys?

When was the screen pass NOT a huge component of the offense?

jimmyjames said:
When was the screen pass NOT a huge component of the offense?

When Bledsoe was QB. His Drewness was unwilling and unable (most often overthrew) to throw the screen pass.

14thDragon said:
Just a thought on this.

The TE screen pass was a key component of our offense last season, and provided a large chunk of the Patriots' highlights films for 2006.

The screen pass has been an ENORMOUS weapon in the Pats' arsenal since Belichick got here. I don't see how it could possibly be "brought back." It never left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes