PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It is OK to question WTF is going on, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
too bad we didn't have that other #1 pick. that would have been the corner.

fgssand, I was certainly not one of the people trashing Asante. I've liked him for quite a while and when some idiots were saying that Hobbs might be better than Samuel back before 2006 I disagreed.

Asante didn't start in his rookie year. 2003, the corners were Law and Poole. He did start in 2004 after injuries rattled our starters and he did a solid job. Even so it wasn't like he was great in 2004 or even early 2005 for that matter. Wheately may turn out to be a very good player but I am not sure it will happen this year when we have so little depth at corner.

I see many people feel like we have little to worry about. Hopefully you're all right.

KD0 - your right, Asante was our nickle back and as I recall only started one game in his rookie year, but, he was all over the field along with Wilson who did start all games as a rookie safety.

I also agree we have no depth at corner - at the moment, but feel that will change very soon.

If you have even the slightest doubt that Red Sox fans would do exactly that, you mustn't know any Red Sox fans.:D

I've been one since 1955. They would at least wait till a loss. Then heads would be skewered. But at 19 straight even a Sox fan would see the glass half full

All we've lost from the OL is Neal.
We lost our best CB but couldn't just sign an equal one so we have a high draft pick replacing him.
The backup QB is the same as last year.

Relax.

Deep breath and release. Thanks.

I've been one since 1955. They would at least wait till a loss. Then heads would be skewered. But at 19 straight even a Sox fan would see the glass half full

Nah..... they'd be saying "But he ruined the bullpen to get those 19 wins. Now the team is screwed!"

Thats good for you if you feel comfortable and relaxed about our corner back situation. We lost Asante one of the better corners in a league, a proven play maker and in return we have an unproven rookie being forced to start on week 1. It has been a very significant downgrade.
I still haven't said I'm comfortable with it - although I am, now I've said it. We'll lose Samuel's big plays and that's too bad for us. I actually thought he was overated other than the INT (which is a big other than). Wheatley was a great INT guy in college and he will be here too; maybe not as a rookie though.

It's OK to question it...BUT..at least have some REAL points to make?? I think many think the game is tomorrow..It's not...This team has played invredible for some time..so questioning in a large sense...RATHER DUMB.. and really...coming from so called fans..POOR!!
NO appreciation for what this team has done..and to me..more Red Sox mentality..at best..at worst those that jump on the bandwagon with no understanding.og what is going on.. And it's not a thing of blind support..but of REALLY intelligent criticism..IF there is any..and frankly I have heard little of that..If you THINK this is the team that is starting Sunday...I have to wonder what you are smoking...Looking at things and not undesrtanding about injuries and the need for insurance and backups at a position..It's all pretty silly...

It is OK to question WTF is going on, right?

Just like in 2003 when Belichick cut Milloy and won the Super Bowl, yes.

Last edited:
you can question all you want, but in reality this team seems weaker in certain areas.. but stronger than others.. our LB corps has gotten better and younger.. we do not always see what BB sees, and until proven wrong in him and SP do I trust.

I didn't know we had a monopoly on the talent and an exclusion to the salary cap ... otherwise do you have a clue marcus?

I still haven't said I'm comfortable with it - although I am, now I've said it. We'll lose Samuel's big plays and that's too bad for us. I actually thought he was overated other than the INT (which is a big other than). Wheatley was a great INT guy in college and he will be here too; maybe not as a rookie though.

I don't buy that Asante was overrated. He was a play maker for sure but he its not like he wasn't very good in other aspects. In 2006 he also led the league in deflected passes. He can cover very well and tackle well too. Not to mention he can lay a pretty good hit on a receiver as well.

It's definitely more than ok to question. I'll compare what Bill is doing to what I know, film-making. You're making a film, the deadline is looming. You make a few actor shuffles, get a few extra shots, but eventually you've got what you've got and you make it the best you can and sometimes you'll find adversity, risk, and limitations will be a huge boost to what you can do.
So you're a film maker and I've watched some movies. Let's say you were even better than you are, say the best film maker in the world. You make a film.

How much respect would you give a guy like me, who saw Lady and the Tramp 15 timess, and most of Nicolas Cage's movies, to question the way you made your film. More than okay?

More than question, how much credence would you or anyone in the film industry if I said that you have blundered? Would anyone put any stock if I were to disparage your camera shot setup or whatever you call it without the slightest comprehension as to what went into your decisions as to why you chose those setups/angles and what process you used. Or would you in the industry chuckle at me sense of egotism and self-importance?

Yeah, film is art and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the process; you really think it is more than okay for me to think I am smarter than the best filmmaker in the world?

"World famous Doctor person, I notice that Drs X and Y are assisting you in this brain surgery. That is absurd. You should be using Drs A and B."

We all have our favorites and opinions. We are all entitled to them.

What is ludicrous is believing that we somehow know MORE than the FO, to the point where we label thier decisions stupid, to pretend we have the slightest clue as to why decisions are being made and what is the "right" decision.

There are some dumb front offices in the NFL. None of them are in Foxboro.

All some of us are saying is to chill the hell out, everyone. You might think your team wasn't 18-1 last year and the odds-on favorite to win it all this year. You can't point to a single game on our schedule and say that we have very little chance of winning it. Enjoy the ride. We have the best QB in hte league, the best WR, the best DLine, the best head coach and the best owner. What the hell more does everyone want? A guarantee of winning every game again? Isn't it god enough to be the best team with the best chance of winning it all?

chill out, everyone

Just like in 2003 when Belichick cut Milloy and won the Super Bowl, yes.

Just like in 2006 when Belichick traded Branch and left us with no credible threat at WR, costing us regular season wins and ultimately the AFC championship?

For every controversial decision that worked out there has been one that ended up biting him. For every intentional safety there is a 4th-and-13.

What does this say about him? He's not afraid to make tough decisions, though whether they are for the best can be debatable. Just look at the Vinatieri situation.

Wheatley is not even close to as good as Asante if thats what you're suggesting. It will take a few years for him to become really good if that indeed happens.

Four corners, one is a legit starter, two who are unproven rookies and another who I had never heard of prior to us signing him. Our two starting corners are freaking midgets. Yeah its something to worry about.

We won a Superbowl when the second year 4th rounder Asante Samuel was not even close to as good as Ty Law who was a legitimate perennial pro bowler he replaced. Can you name the corners who played for us along side Asante that championship season? Wasn't one of them like Hank Podunk and another the immortal Earthwindandfire or some such and an UDFA called Blue who didn't play more than nickle and dime once he got healthy 2 years later and Hotrodcherry?...

There is a huge difference between questioning something (which hints at seeking knowledge and answers) and kneejerk criticizing it with no basis - which is basically what all message board fan criticism is.

Just like in 2006 when Belichick traded Branch and left us with no credible threat at WR, costing us regular season wins and ultimately the AFC championship?
Say that all you like but we had that game against Indy won if we'd made one of about 5 easy plays. Missing Branch didn't lose the game, mistakes when we had a big lead did - plus a couple of horrendous ref calls.

Last edited:

For every controversial decision that worked out there has been one that ended up biting him. For every intentional safety there is a 4th-and-13.

What does this say about him? He's not afraid to make tough decisions, though whether they are for the best can be debatable. Just look at the Vinatieri situation.

We should fire that piece of crap HC. He's only like 120something and 26 in the last 7 seasons and we've only won 3 superbowls and been to 4 and didn't make the playoffs once not to mention lost out on the division and conference championships a couple of times. 31 other team must be laughing at us. We should get one of their success oriented geniuses to run the show here like...um...ah...:confused:

We won a Superbowl when the second year 4th rounder Asante Samuel was not even close to as good as Ty Law who was a legitimate perennial pro bowler he replaced. Can you name the corners who played for us along side Asante that championship season? Wasn't one of them like Hank Podunk and another the immortal Earthwindandfire or some such and an UDFA called Blue who didn't play more than nickle and dime once he got healthy 2 years later and Hotrodcherry?...

There is a huge difference between questioning something (which hints at seeking knowledge and answers) and kneejerk criticizing it with no basis - which is basically what all message board fan criticism is.
Yeah and what will happen when inevitably one or two of our four corner backs gets hurt? I'd take 2004 Asante and Blue over two rookies or one rookie and Lewis Sanders.

The Branch and Vinatieri situations were unfortunate casualties of a system that says, "Unless your name is Brady, we're not going to break the bank or bend our rules for you." It maintains a salary structure within the locker room, and minimizes the times when a player is being overpaid on your team.

Give in to Branch, and who else is going to refuse to come to camp until you pay them?

And though he won the Super Bowl with Indy, I don't really think he had to win any games for them. I don't think Adam was the reason they won. He didn't hurt, but he wasn't the reason.

Not saying we couldn't have used them, just that sometimes those can simultaneously hurt you in the short term, yet still be the RIGHT decision.

I'm just excited to see what happens next. These are CUTS that the Pats are making willingly. They would not do so without something to improve the team in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back