PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It is official! The league has made a bad situation a disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
You would think after Spygate, Bountygate, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, etc. they would learned how to not handle a controversy. I guess I gave them more credit than they deserved. I figured they would have done the smart thing and tried to get this resolved before the end of last week and been more transparent in their investigation. Instead they let the media (who are out to make a minor infraction if true, into a the worst form of cheating in sports history) control the dialog and report rumors as facts and condemn the Patriots without a single hard fact put forth. The lack of transparency and silence by the league is pathetic. A simple press release on Friday afternoon was a joke.

And then along came Belichick. What Belichick did last night sent shock waves in the league office last night. I think the league has been looking for a way out of this in a way they could punish the Pats and Belichick without any evidence of cheating because they have none. Belichick said "Screw that!" and basically threw the burden of proof back on the NFL. He told them he wasn't going to accept anything but a full exoneration of his honor unless the League shows that there was a deliberate attempt to deflate balls. He has given multiple reasons why the balls could have legitimately deflated without a deliberate attempt to cheat the process. Belichick basically he consulted experts which he obviously would use on any appeal of any punishment.

The league is now screwed no matter what they do. They can't just exonerate the Patriots. ESPN and all the villagers with pitch forks ready to burn down Belichick, Kraft, Brady, and the rest of the won't stand for that. He can't just give a nominal fine (like the $25k as it is stated in the rule books) for the same reason. They also cannot throw the book at the Pats (specifically Belichick) without any hard evidence of cheating because they know the Pats will win on appeal which is even worse than giving a nominal fine. Goodell now much decide which disaster scenario he wants to further tarnish his legacy.

The only out the league and Goodell has is if they some how find a smoking gun. Belichick would be stupid to shoot a warning shot across the league' bow like he did last night if he thought there was a smoking gun to be found. If there is, Goodell is going to come down on him with a vengence. And Belichick is not stupid. Neither is Stacy James and the rest of the Patriots brain trust. Belichick would never done that press conference if there was even a remote chance these allegations are true and could be proven. And Stacy James wouldn't let him either.

It will be interesting in the next few weeks to see how the league screws this up and whether they dig themselves even deeper than they have to now.

Last edited:
Additionally, and I don't know if it were intentional or not as it was in the Q&A part, he sounds ready to go rogue on CameraGate if necessary. We all know 80,000 people could see it, it was in the public domain. But this : "So we filmed him making signals out in front of 80,000 people like there were a lot of other teams doing at that time too" can't make Roger feel too good especially as Michael Holley has said in the past that the Patriots had evidence others were doing it. In general BB has too much respect for the league to blow the lid off but I get the feeling that he is moving closer to doing just that if they continue to ruin his reputation.

And this was positively titillating : "I think there are a number of things that need to be looked into on a number of levels. That’s not for this conversation. I’m sure it will be taken up at another point in time."

I believe that was his way of saying he needs to find out how the sting worked. My guess ? Colts equipment manager was told to put air in the Colts balls immediately at halftime so the Colts' balls wouldn't match the Patriots' natural deflation. Who knows but it's clear that Bill wants to know.

Some not so subtle warning shots were thrown from Foxboro yesterday.

This is what happens when you have THE WORST COMMISSIONER IN THE HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS making important decisions for your league. He hires an investigation team to figure out why 2 psi came out of a football, but can't locate a video of one of his players knocking out his fiancee. The owners should have fired him after screwing up the Ray Rice investigation. They deserve the bad publicity they are going to receive when everyone finds out the Pats didn't tamper with the balls. I am looking forward to watching Goodell try to explain why it took him 2 Months to make a decision on something so trivial as where 2psi went from a football.

I am of the opinion the league looks stupid no matter what it does. Talking about transparency and then slinking away with leaks and silence and stretching this on to a ridiculous degree. What BB did yesterday was what transparency looks like. Real transparency. The league is dumber than a bag of hair and looks it no matter what they do at this point.

Additionally, and I don't know if it were intentional or not as it was in the Q&A part, he sounds ready to go rogue on CameraGate if necessary. We all know 80,000 people could see it, it was in the public domain. But this : "So we filmed him making signals out in front of 80,000 people like there were a lot of other teams doing at that time too" can't make Roger feel too good especially as Michael Holley has said in the past that the Patriots had evidence others were doing it. In general BB has too much respect for the league to blow the lid off but I get the feeling that he is moving closer to doing just that if they continue to ruin his reputation.

And this was positively titillating : "I think there are a number of things that need to be looked into on a number of levels. That’s not for this conversation. I’m sure it will be taken up at another point in time."

I believe that was his way of saying he needs to find out how the sting worked. My guess ? Colts equipment manager was told to put air in the Colts balls immediately at halftime so the Colts' balls wouldn't match the Patriots' natural deflation. Who knows but it's clear that Bill wants to know.

I still believe the only reason Goodell would have destroyed the tapes to cover up examples of cheating is that Belichick showed him evidence of other teams cheating and Goodell didn't want those to get out. I mean if Belichick did other things other than videotaping signals why would he have turned them over to Goodell. It would be like getting caught shop lifting and when the police were questioning you about that crime, you give them evidence of you murdering someone. It just didn't make any sense.

This is what happens when you have THE WORST COMMISSIONER IN THE HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS making important decisions for your league. He hires an investigation team to figure out why 2 psi came out of a football, but can't locate a video of one of his players knocking out his fiancee. The owners should have fired him after screwing up the Ray Rice investigation. They deserve the bad publicity they are going to receive when everyone finds out the Pats didn't tamper with the balls. I am looking forward to watching Goodell try to explain why it took him 2 Months to make a decision on something so trivial as where 2psi went from a football.
One reason hes the worst is that he will pander to this BS in the first place.

If the league comes down on BB I have two theories

The Pats including Kraft appeal and win

Or

If Kraft is still sitting idle BB will retire and unleash hell on the NFL. The man's name and reputation has been destroyed by these idiots and he's not gonna stick back and take it anymore in my opinion.

All BB wants to do is coach. He's not into all this politics. I think its gonna make him rethink why he's even dealing with this ****

Belichick cares about the GAME.
The NFL execs care about $$$$.

There's the difference. Belichick took it over Spygate because he judged that to be in the best interest of the game - perhaps revealing the truth would have shown the sham of their "policing" and policies, for that matter.

This "gate" or "ghazi" is WWF hyperbole, and it's working. The amount of publicity and viewership will go through the roof. The NFL will rake it in even morebecause thy have a Star Wars' storyline here.

But I think BB made it clear that he's not going to go quietly into the night on this one, because now, after what happened in 2007, he understands that to protect the GAME will require a thorough flushing of the over-filled toilet.

honestly, until the whole truth bears out, you can't even tell how much is the league and how much is the stupid media.........either way, someone is going to look incredibly stupid.....hope it's the media

What do y'all wanna bet that now that it's been established and widely confirmed that footballs naturally change pressure over the course of a game, especially in inclement weather. That Goodell will start a new media campaign that 1 or 2 psi deviation is "not that big a deal".

Sweet irony of life at last I've found you. /singing :p

And this was positively titillating : "I think there are a number of things that need to be looked into on a
number of levels. That’s not for this conversation. I’m sure it will be taken up at another point in time."

This is the thing I've been saying from the beginning. They haven't interviewed TB or BB to my knowledge. They are bringing in forensics and investigators. I think this goes far beyond air pressure. This could be heading toward deliberate slandering, tampering and smearing the Pats brand. The Ravens and Colts are probable suspects. They've been pretty mum on the matter the last few days. That would be just fine with me.

The league screwed themselves. EVERYBODY has already made their own judgement without the facts. Even with several youtube videos showing pressure falling with temperature, people aren't swayed by the science experiments. Even if the league totally exonerates the team, it won't change many people's minds.

When were the regulations written on psi anyway. Why on earth does it matter. If each team plays with the ball at a psi they are comfortable with they would have an equal advantage.

They did it to themselves with this "scorch the earth" / "beating women doesn't matter" policy that they've been so inconsistent with. Now, everything gets a reactionary punishment that's as based on public outcry as it is the actual crime. Goodell sits up there like Pontius Pilate and turns it over to the mass collective. It's a joke.

I am of the opinion the league looks stupid no matter what it does. Talking about transparency and then slinking away with leaks and silence and stretching this on to a ridiculous degree. What BB did yesterday was what transparency looks like. Real transparency. The league is dumber than a bag of hair and looks it no matter what they do at this point.

Couldn't agree more. Goodell has shown very poor leadership during this time by not issuing a statement or being seen in public. He hasn't attempted to seize control of this media ****storm that's gotten quite out of hand.

I'll have to watch BB's presser again, but I thought I heard his voice break just a teeny bit when he began to talk about how hard this team has worked. I bet he's enraged with the blundering, idiotic NFL. Deflated balls. Come on, get serious!!

What do y'all wanna bet that now that it's been established and widely confirmed that footballs naturally change pressure over the course of a game, especially in inclement weather. That Goodell will start a new media campaign that 1 or 2 psi deviation is "not that big a deal".

Sweet irony of life at last I've found you. /singing :p

I think its more likely they start a new policy of re-inflating balls at 1/2 time, and everyone will say it is because the pats were cheating. Facts be damned!

Couldn't agree more. Goodell has shown very poor leadership during this time by not issuing a statement or being seen in public. He hasn't attempted to seize control of this media ****storm that's gotten quite out of hand.

And made his precious league into a laughingstock.

The league screwed themselves. EVERYBODY has already made their own judgement without the facts. Even with several youtube videos showing pressure falling with temperature, people aren't swayed by the science experiments. Even if the league totally exonerates the team, it won't change many people's minds.

Actually, the league is really in the middle without ant benefit of the doubt or compassion.

There is a thread speculating Harbaugh is behind this.

I disagree. Frankly, to go after another franchise, that requires owners. Both Biscotti and Irsay have had recent major issues with Goddell. This is their way of going after the league and maybe knock off BB.

BB is not giving them anything or any way out.

Looks like it's time to settle all family business and we know who the Godfather is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back