PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It is Absolutely Imperative That We Spend To The Cap This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
It is absolutely imperative that we spend to the cap this year. A failure to do so will result in a complete mutiny over our very successful player development and coaching system.

Some players can buy into the concept of taking a little less, with the understanding that the team will be better overall because they can use that money elsewhere. Other players can even understand that football is a business, and not have too many hard feelings if they are cut, given max salary cap restraints.

HOWEVER, it is indefensible to leave 13 million dollars on the table. How do you think Brady, Bruschi, Rodney, Light, Troy, and company feel about all this money left, after they all took pay cuts to stay? I am convinced we will have absolute chaos on this team if most of our cap money is not spent by game 10.

Simmons wrote about this today, and I completely agree:
Throw in the three Super Bowl rings and Brady's 6-1 lifetime record against Manning and that just seems odd...Also, Drew Brees signed for the same numbers as Brady ($60 million, six years) the following spring.

Now we're three games into the season, the Patriots are still $13 million under the cap, the money can't be rolled over to next season, they let three core guys go (McGinest, Vinatieri and Branch) last winter and didn't sign a single marquee guy, and Brady spent last Sunday trying to get a passing game going with Headlights Caldwell and Troy Brown as his deep threats, which meant Denver just moved everyone up, swallowed their running game and sent the kitchen sink on every down. So, Brady got the crap kicked out of him, they ended up getting shut down at home on national TV...

So here's my question ...
If you're Tom Brady, you're supposed to have GOOD body language while this is happening? Really? That's our verdict here? You wouldn't have been bummed out? If I were Brady, near the end of that debacle Sunday night, I would have called an out pattern toward the Patriots sideline and aimed a pass right at Belichick's head. But that's just me.

I don't give a crap about the players' feelings but I agree as a fan. I'll be pissed if we leave that money unspent. If we spend it on Seymour's option and give Brady a big bonus to reduce his future cap hit, fine. It doesn't have to be on the upcoming UFA. But it has to be spent.

Miguel assumed Seymour was given the bonus on his site.

maverick4 said:
So here's my question ...
If you're Tom Brady, you're supposed to have GOOD body language while this is happening? Really? That's our verdict here? You wouldn't have been bummed out? If I were Brady, near the end of that debacle Sunday night, I would have called an out pattern toward the Patriots sideline and aimed a pass right at Belichick's head. But that's just me.

Peter King was just on WEEI and they were discussing the body language thing, which he, Holley and Dale Arnold all feel as though it has been beaten to death. Peter spent Monday evening with Brady at some type of event and they talked quite a bit. Bottom line, is Brady is upset with the current receivers not being open or not knowing the routes, his body language seems to be growing into an urban legend. The announcers have pounced on this, and it seems to have gotten more credibility than it warrants.

BTW Peter King also said they are 10.4 million under the cap, not that it makes all that much difference.

I would have agreed with you, if you'd just said 'we have to spend the money and not let it go to waste, get the guys that we need back in here!', but the level you took it to = "They hate their coach." to me.

How can we even pretend to know about how the un-used cap will affect the locker room, much less that it'll end in 'mutiny'.

I agree, and I believe that most of the $$ will be spent before the end of the fiscal year. Because the time has gone, when that $$ could be spent on quality FAs, the time is now to spend it on our own players, namely Brady, Seemore, and Dan Koppen; followed by Graham and Samuel. I can imagine how pi$$ed-off Brady will feel, if he loses his 2 starting WRs one year, and his starting Center the very next year.

I think Belichick is a genius. But I also think his system will fall apart if his core players no longer buy into the same philosophy.

If I were Brady, Bruschi, Harrison, Troy, Light, or any other player who stayed with a pay cut, I would be pissed if the Pats left it on the table unspent. I'd be pissed because they didn't use it to lock up younger players or make the team better, and also they could have just given me more money instead of me taking a pay cut.

Of course they are going to spend the money this year one or another and most likely on Seymour or Brady. What is the big deal?

maverick4 said:
I think Belichick is a genius. But I also think his system will fall apart if his core players no longer buy into the same philosophy.

If I were Brady, Bruschi, Harrison, Troy, Light, or any other player who stayed with a pay cut, I would be pissed if the Pats left it on the table unspent. I'd be pissed because they didn't use it to lock up younger players or make the team better, and also they could have just given me more money instead of me taking a pay cut.

I just want to point out, that even with the guys suggested that we spent the cap to keep, so Brady wouldnt mope around, we still were unable to beat the broncos. Just admit it, those guys have our number pretty damn well. They match up really well with with our players, and they have unbelievable speed at LB. That causes problems for us everytime.
BB and company have been spending countless amounts of high draft picks to get Brady weapons. We dont need to spend that money. We could use it to re-sign some of our guys this offseason, but who is becoming a FA on our team that you believe is worth overpaying for?? Im not bashing you or anyone else who holds to this theory, but I just want to see a valid argument. Should Brady be making more? Yeah, I'll give you that one. But, Matt Light cant stay healthy, Bruschi has been injury prone, Rodney had nowhere to go and CHOSE to come here for the money on the table, Brown is at the end of his career. Upon looking at Givens stats, I am pretty sure we can all laugh at the contract demands he made. Branch, we'll lets not discuss Branch, he got what we wanted and we moved on. However, Brady has never had a deep threat at receiver and we have won 3 ******* SB's. Bradys ball has been off and people can blame it on whoever they want, but all of the guys we have playing right now are good enough to match the numbers of the pattens and others of yrs. past. So, the argument you make is invalid. Branch wasnt worth the ransom he wanted so he was sent packing. I for one thank BB and company for not ransoming our team for one or two decent players and thinking about the future.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read here that the Pats have until March 15, 2007 to pay out the guarantee money ahead to Brady and Seymour for it to count on the 2006 cap. If that's the case, why would they pay it out early and handcuff themselves if they could use it during the year to bring some FA's on board if there are future injuries, etc.?

Not to inject logic into the debate but what difference does it make when they spent it if they cannot spent it on additional talent this season - which at this point they cannot because there is none.

The can use it towards future extensions for players already on the roster, but they can roll it over for that purpose next year - which would also make it available for NEW signings.

Belichick isn't afraid of the how could we not overpay to keep or acquire talent when we had the money to crowd inside or outside of his locker room. Brady understands that, he has said so as recently as during the Deion crisis. He respects his FO's disciplined approach to team building even though as the QB he would naturally just pay all his guys whatever it took.

Had he given Branch and Vinatieri and McGinest and Givens all the deal they wanted it would have cost roughly $12-18M per year over the next 3 - 5 seasons caps and we would be facing making cuts elsewhere to retain the next group of indespensible talents. They tried to spend the windfall alone on retaining Adam on a pay as you go plan, and by adding (Mason) or retaining (Branch) 1 $5M WR for the next 4 years, and adding a #1 CB in Law or Townsend for the next 2-3 seasons. Just happened that nobody was interested in their offers.

So they will find other ways to expend that cap - if not this season then next season because they can roll it over - but nothing they do now is going to impact this season unless they find they can do a deal for a talent they want with some team that is tanking before the trading deadline. Don't hold your breath. Everybody got that extra cap money and we are not the only ones who have a substantial chunk of it remaining because there were simply not enough FA or players worthy of early extensions to go around this season.

I wouldn't be so anxious to hitch my wagon to Simmons if I were you. The guy is funny and knows his pop culture but too often doesn't have a clue when writing about sports. The Brady stuff you're referencing is a perfect example.

Cap space will not go wasted. They'll try to redo deals, they'll sign injury replacements, but mostly they'll use it for future cap relief. Successful businesses think long-term.

MoLewisrocks said:
Had he given Branch and Vinatieri and McGinest and Givens all the deal they wanted it would have cost roughly $12-18M per year over the next 3 - 5 seasons caps and we would be facing making cuts elsewhere to retain the next group of indespensible talents.

I don't care that Branch, McGinest, Givens, and Vinatieri are gone. I understand that fiscal discipline is a reason why we are successful. However, I think this type of approach is only justified in players' and fans' minds if the money is being used to the maximum every year. We must spend the money locking up our future leaders.

I used to have the idea of 'the Pats spend wisely to the max every year', and liked it and had no problem with it. Now, I have a big problem with how some players will feel betrayed, and how the team will come off looking cheap and ruthless.

This isn't directed at one particular person, but:

The view that "It is Absolutely Imperative That We Spend To The Cap This Year" is one of the most mind-blowingly stupid things I have ever read. The whole "wouldn't you be pissed if the FO gave away your top two WRs and didn't sign anyone of note, as well as letting go of..." really needs to stop. It is both asinine and completely wrong.

Although their offer was certainly competitive, NE could not sign Givens to the contract TN offered because it would have priced Branch out of NE. And that happened long before the feud began. NE offered Branch a deal that was certainly in the ballpark, and it was never countered due to the Branch camp's issues with the 5th year. From the moment NE's offer did not wipe away the 5th year, every single move Branch made was in direct effort to leave NE. NE offered a contract that would have made AV the highest paid kicker. NE offered a contract of just about what Law is making now, but he didn't want to be considered a "system CB." NE was in communication with Javon Walker but:

a) He never bothered to get on a plane because
b) They were sandbagged by Branch.

So, in summary, unless you consider Ashworth, Davis, Chatham or Dwight great players, the only FA of note to leave that wasn't offered a competitive deal was McGinest. That's it. The others were just offered a little more because their aura of being a *winner* meant more to them than it did to NE. And NE certainly tried to get into the bigger FA market because they offered a deal to Law and were trying to feel out Walker.

Sometimes things don't go your way. What fans want the FO to do is panic and sign someone to a larger than their value contract just because they missed out on a few other guys. It is a stupid and uninformed position to be hold. I'm sorry to be rude, but that is just the way it is.

Oswlek, maybe you need to improve your reading comprehension before you post anymore.

Nobody (well, at least me anyway) is complaining about not re-signing the guys that left. Those guys got top dollar elsewhere, which means they got overpaid. That is over and done with.

I am saying that now, given our current situation, we need to use that money and spread it around to who we deem to be the future core of this club. We do have some great young talent with 2 years or less left here. By re-negotiating now, we engender good faith, and also probably get a better deal for later years on the contract compared to if we wait until next year.

At the same time, we appease our veteran leadership and our young future core with the fact that yes, we don't overpay, but we do try to spend to the max, so it is still fair in a way that you can understand.

Last edited:
If we use the cap space to re-work some contracts, how does that effect us for next years FA's? Not only ours, but maybe a defensive star (fill in the name) that will be out there. Even with two number one's next year, I still think we need a dominant defensive player other then on our defensive line. Any thoughts?

scout said:
If we use the cap space to re-work some contracts, how does that effect us for next years FA's? Not only ours, but maybe a defensive star (fill in the name) that will be out there. Even with two number one's next year, I still think we need a dominant defensive player other then on our defensive line. Any thoughts?

This another thing I left unsaid in my rant above. First off, the cap room is reall 10mm, not 13mm, but NE owes Seymour a 6.6mm bonus. If that is paid this year, well they're down to 4.4mm of space. Then with every guy who goes on IR, it erodes further.

And, to your point, if they decide to, they can offer extensions to some of their possible FAs and have it hit this year. They can also doctor the books so that the cap is used, but is recredited to next year.

Did NE make a mistake with their intial dealings with Branch? I think so, but they had no way of knowing their offer would not be countered.

scout said:

Scout, what marquee player will be willing to sign with us if they know we left so much unspent this year? Even with Rodney and Vrabel, they just felt lucky to be wanted; they weren't marquee when they signed. Also, you will never get another veteran to re-sign at below value if we don't spend to the cap.

Last edited:
It's only three games in and we are 2-1. Why can't we give our management and team a little time to get settled in. I get very distressed at statements like we have to spend the cap money. Kraft and his boys aren't trying to save money, they are rethinking how to spend it. Things will get done and the team will come together. We are way ahead of where we were last year and we had all kinds of receivers.

If Brady is commiserating with Peter King (and I'm not buying into that for a second) and worrying about receivers and routes and effecting his play he is doing himself a disservice.

We have a running game, last week notwithstanding, we have a QB, we have a good defense that just needs to settle down and find their combinations, and we have good tight ends and we will have good receivers.

The team will begin to jell very effectively coming out of the bye at worst 3-2 and will close out the season in good fashion.

"hand wringing whiners" go to your rooms.

p8ryts said:
It's only three games in and we are 2-1. Why can't we give our management and team a little time to get settled in. I get very distressed at statements like we have to spend the cap money. Kraft and his boys aren't trying to save money, they are rethinking how to spend it. Things will get done and the team will come together. We are way ahead of where we were last year and we had all kinds of receivers.

If Brady is commiserating with Peter King (and I'm not buying into that for a second) and worrying about receivers and routes and effecting his play he is doing himself a disservice.

We have a running game, last week notwithstanding, we have a QB, we have a good defense that just needs to settle down and find their combinations, and we have good tight ends and we will have good receivers.

The team will begin to jell very effectively coming out of the bye at worst 3-2 and will close out the season in good fashion.

"hand wringing whiners" go to your rooms.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back