PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It has begun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswlek

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I've spent some time travelling around the interwebz today getting a feel for what people think of the NY/NE matchup this week, and I have to admit I am getting excited.

Bill Simmons has gone from homer to being overly pessimistic, claiming that NY is the best upset outright winner this week. (click on the "Cousin Sal" podcast on the right hand side)

Chris Mortenson feels that NY is a legitimate threat not only in this game but for the division.

JetsConfidential is picking NY for the outright win.

Al Breer opines that Rex Ryan's defense might have NE's number.

Charles Robinson on yahoo.com feels that NY is going to be a playoff team and is a legitimate contender for the AFCCG. Additionally, he is yet another who feels NE's defense is a steaming pile of shiit.

The usually downtrodden tools over on theganggreen.com message board are brimming with confidence. Not exactly their default position heading into a showdown with the Patriots.

Hell, you would think NE lost by three touchdowns as much furor as there is on this site.

Now, what does all this remind me of?

hmmm.....

Oh yes, I remember. The week before this game. NE had just looked listless and uninspired against a pretty pathetic team. This pathetic team took advantage of a weakness most agreed could be a potential achiles heel for the Patriots. The Jets were coming off an impressive victory over a moderately well regarded opponent and appeared to have NE right where they wanted them.

The only thing was, they got their arses kicked.

NE was never in a weakened state, they simply had a bad game. Just like that long ago Miami loss on Monday night, other than a couple key mistakes, NE largely controlled the action. Sure, Matt Light looked like trash against Jason Taylor, but he always looks like trash against Jason Taylor.

Admittedly, the Pats played the underneath stuff horribly this past week. Superficially, Leon Washington looks like he is going to get at least 300 yards on screens and draws. But there was a reason the underneath was so open, NE used both safeties to double TO and Evans all game. Buffalo wisely just went were there was a lone defender trying to cover a lot of ground, and a backup lone defender at that.

But are the Jets anywhere near as much a threat on the outside? Doesn't it make sense that NE might just alter their defense a little to combat NY's primary assets, their RBs?

And as bad as NE's OL looked at times, NE still went up and down the field on Monday. The difference between their struggles to get to 25 points and them putting 40+ up was very small. Very small.

Unless you assume what we saw out of them two days ago was the best they've got, it is going to take a monumental defensive effort for NY to hold the Patriots under 20 points. Hell, even Ryan's 2007 Ravens that Breer mentions above allowed 27 points on a rainy, windy night. And that includes them mugging Welker on every snap and Watson dropping an easy TD.

Listen to this BB interview with the 2-6 boys over on WEEI starting at the 18:30 mark. Does he sound concerned to you?

BB all but comes out and says that NY didn't do anything impressive, it was just that Houston was completely inept. He appears to really be giving it to the Houston coaching for an idiotic approach to stopping NY's blitz. It reminds me of BB going out of his way prior to the 2006 AFCCG to show that Indy's defensive "improvement" was really a combination of poor coaching and execution by the opponents.

I will be shocked if NE puts up less than 24 points and I will be genuinely surprised if they don't slap a 30-spot on the board.

The last time NE lost to the Jets in NY was 2000. The Jets have snuck off with a W a few times this decade against the Patriots, but it was always in NE. The Patriots have owned the Meadowlands.

Forgive me if I am not cowering in the corner at the thought of the big, bad New York Jets.

Last edited:
I've spent some time travelling around the interwebz today getting a feel for what people think of the NY/NE matchup this week, and I have to admit I am getting excited.

Bill Simmons has gone from homer to being overly pessimistic, claiming that NY is the best upset outright winner this week. (click on the "Cousin Sal" podcast on the right hand side)

Chris Mortenson feels that NY is a legitimate threat not only in this game but for the division.

Charles Robinson on yahoo.com feels that NY is going to be a playoff team and is a legitimate contender for the AFCCG. Additionally, he is yet another who feels NE's defense is a steaming pile of shiit.

The usually downtrodden tools over on theganggreen.com message board are brimming with confidence. Not exactly their default position heading into a showdown with the Patriots.

Hell, you would think NE lost by three touchdowns as much furor as there is on this site.

hmmm.....

Oh yes, I remember. The week before this game. NE had just looked listless and uninspired against a pretty pathetic team. This pathetic team took advantage of a weakness most agreed could be a potential achiles heel for the Patriots. The Jets were coming off an impressive victory over a moderately well regarded opponent and appeared to have NE right where they wanted them.

NE was never in a weakened state, they simply had a bad game. Just like that long ago Miami loss on Monday night, other than a couple key mistakes, NE largely controlled the action. Sure, Matt Light looked like trash against Jason Taylor, but he always looks like trash against Jason Taylor.

Admittedly, the Pats played the underneath stuff horribly this past week. Superficially, Leon Washington looks like he is going to get at least 300 yards on screens and draws. But there was a reason the underneath was so open, NE used both safeties to double TO and Evans all game. Buffalo wisely just went were there was a lone defender trying to cover a lot of ground, and a backup lone defender at that.

But are the Jets anywhere near as much a threat on the outside? Doesn't it make sense that NE might just alter their defense a little to combat NY's primary assets, their RBs?

And as bad as NE's OL looked at times, NE still went up and down the field on Monday. The difference between their struggles to get to 25 points and them putting 40+ up was very small. Very small.

Unless you assume what we saw out of them two days ago was the best they've got, it is going to take a monumental defensive effort for NY to hold the Patriots under 20 points. Hell, even Ryan's 2007 Ravens that Breer mentions above allowed 27 points on a rainy, windy night. And that includes them mugging Welker on every snap and Watson dropping an easy TD.

Listen to this BB interview with the 2-6 boys over on WEEI starting at the 18:30 mark. Does he sound concerned to you?

BB all but comes out and says that NY didn't do anything impressive, it was just that Houston was completely inept. He appears to really be giving it to the Houston coaching for an idiotic approach to stopping NY's blitz. It reminds me of BB going out of his way prior to the 2006 AFCCG to show that Indy's defensive "improvement" was really a combination of poor coaching and execution by the opponents.

I will be shocked if NE puts up less than 24 points and I will be genuinely surprised if they don't slap a 30-spot on the board.

The last time NE lost to the Jets in NY was 2000. The Jets have snuck off with a W a few times this decade against the Patriots, but it was always in NE. The Patriots have owned the Meadowlands.

Forgive me if I am not cowering in the corner at the thought of the big, bad New York Jets.

Oh those links are great. Got to give it to the mediots to sell there news to the masses. This should be a fun next few days up to Sunday.

GO PATS!

about damn time...

i like the media against us

Gawd, I don't know if I'll b able to watch the game. Maybe BB should start and play Hoyer for the entire game.:scared:

I mean what would be the odds that we could go to NJ and win with a backup QB playing?

Last edited:

hmmm.....

not only a great thread,but a great analysis........The 2007 Ravens game is spot-on.....they totally mugged Welker and Watson and we still beat them.

Ryan* will single Revis on Moss and bring the heat,however,they have no answer for Moss over the middle or Watson/Baker.

hmmm.....

Mark Sanchez is one reason Week 1 conclusions are bad - Ross Tucker - SI.com

I think the problem is, I need an angrier indian chief in my avatar. Then this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

He is a bit stoic and nonthreatening, though his clearly penetrating wisdom and insight are a nice counterbalance.

I hate the Patriots!!! - TheGangGreen.com Message Board

^ this thread is amazing. Does ANYONE here have THIS intense of hatred for an opposing football team? I understand being passionate as a fan, but most of these people need to rethink their lives, and maybe go see a therapist.

If you want to see real jealousy and envy try a steeler board like steelernation, they have almost as many Pathe threads as Steeler threads.

This "IS" a different Jets team. Rex has them on the right track and FIRED UP! Giants Stadium is going to be louder than its ever been before. I'm expecting nothing short of a playoff type of performance and atmosphere to this game. Don't underestimate the Jets or Rex's tactics.

The Oline is going to need to play a great game. Especially Koppen. How Koppen fares against Jenkings will go a long way to determining the outcome of this game. Both teams are going to put an emphasis this week on starting strong. It's going to be a case of the unstoppable force vs the unmovable object. I look forward to seeing how Belichick, Brady, and Company take on this challenge.

I hate the Patriots!!! - TheGangGreen.com Message Board

^ this thread is amazing. Does ANYONE here have THIS intense of hatred for an opposing football team? I understand being passionate as a fan, but most of these people need to rethink their lives, and maybe go see a therapist.

I would be bitter too if the Jets won three SB's in the past decade, won the division basically every year, beat us EVERY SINGLE game at our place, stole our HOF coach, while the Pats went through three or four false dawns within the same period, failed to win more than a couple of playoff games since the LBJ administration, and struggled to sell out the stadium that they shared with the Red Sox.

Yep, I'd be bitter alright.

I am glad the media is off the bandwagon but let's not kid ourselves for a minute. This is going to be one hell of a tough game and I would not want to pick the odds of us winning.

I will be happy with a win and no more injuries.

I would be bitter too if the Jets won three SB's in the past decade, won the division basically every year, beat us EVERY SINGLE game at our place, stole our HOF coach, while the Pats went through three or four false dawns within the same period, failed to win more than a couple of playoff games since the LBJ administration, and struggled to sell out the stadium that they shared with the Red Sox.

Yep, I'd be bitter alright.

Bitter isnt the word.....more like nucking futs. They are so drawn to Rexy that they have taken a huge gulp from the kool-aide. God help some of them if they dont make the playoff's this year. Might need the suicide hotline on speed-dial....

If you want to see real jealousy and envy try a steeler board like steelernation, they have almost as many Pathe threads as Steeler threads.

Yeah, and I really don't understand why. They have a very successful and storied franchise of their own, after all, and the two teams don't even really have the same kind of "rivalry" as say, Pats and the Colts. I don't really ever see Pats fans getting that wound up about the Steelers, myself included. Baffling. :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots