Welcome to PatsFans.com

"It Gets Better," Mitt gets worse

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, May 11, 2012.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -3

This is about as relevant as Obama smoking dope and doing coke whenhe was in school. funny how that story just happens to come out within a day of the Obama flip flop funny coindince.....
  3. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

Hey, I have no doubt that the guy Mitt bullied thought "hey come to think of it this would be a nice time to talk about my old school chum." Karma's a b1tch.

- "Let Detroit go bankrupt"
    - "likes being able to fire people"
    - Won primary with scads of money poured into attack ads
    - Turns out he was a bully in high school...

People wonder who the "real" Mitt is. I agree it's irrelevant. In fact, it might even be good if you're thinking of how he'd perform vis a vis other governments, if you perceive our international relationships to be inherently adversarial.

But if you're looking at how well he'll connect with you, when you put this together with what else we've seen, you wonder

1) whether he's over that yet, and
    2) whether he's looking at you to take the next haircut.

And that's just for the general population.

For an 18 year old, a 20 year old, a 25 year old, high school's not a distant memory, and they're part of a generation for whom bullying's not a sort of a constant that always was and always will be -- especially when it's got overtones of gay-bashing. (Romney denies that aspect, but is remembered to say "atta girl" when this kid spoke up in class.)

For me, at 50, I figure he's channeled that into more productive targets, but has profited from the mean streak that earlier went into bullying. Nobody's perfect, sure, but he's channeled it into productive pursuits, or, as you say, it's "ancient history"

For a kid just out of high school, I would think you'd be thinking he's just like that butthole _________ at my school. God, could you imagine that buttwipe being president?

PFnV
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

Back when Romney (and you & I) were in high school, it was common to give feminine boys a hard time and call them names. I'll admit I did it and so did many. Being gay was not acceptable back then socially. Everything must be judged from the time period which it ocurred, not by today's standards.

Obama was against gay marriage and he flip/flopped....so you're now ok with flip/floppers? cool!!!!!

BTW...I was bully in elementary school & junior high....and?

O-bummer still won't get my vote this time...
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  5. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Mittens 'Lord of the Flies' moment.
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ---- JAG ----- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

It's political operative season ... :popcorn:

Time to earn their keep ... :p
  7. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

I'm one of the the only guys on here who couldn't "earn my keep" as a "political operative," Icy. If Hilary's campaign was paying you to post in 08, that's your business. Nobody's campaign was paying me then, and they're not paying me now. I value my real job way too much.
  8. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

this is news?

he's a republican, that type of **** is what they do...i mean dems do it too but ****, that party mastered it
  9. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

that i'll agree on, kids are retarded.....some grow up
  10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

... and in that case, you were a dipsh1t. I had plenty of my own dipsh1t moments in various ways, and perhaps I don't give myself as much of a pass. Perhaps that's why I feel okay that I don't give everybody else a pass.

"Cool with flip-flopping now?" Meh. It's really hard to give much credence to the publicly reticent version of Obama, while he was compiling the most gay-rights-friendly presidency in history. He knew it wasn't time, the LBGT community cut him the slack, and those who believe in LBGT rights saw that and weren't terribly concerned. As our righties apoplectically shouted from the rooftops, he declined enforcement of DOMA, he smacked down Don't Ask Don't Tell, and apparently he took a number of other actions the LBGT community liked. So on the specific question of gay marriage he finally said the words, but his actions have been pretty LBGT-friendly throughout his presidency.

Romney flip flops a lot, but I don't much care. It's where he's landed (as of this week) that is most pertinent. We know what we've got with Obama - a centrist who feels he can't be more progressive. He's probably right. With Romney, he's bent over backwards to be wronger and wronger. In Mass he said he'd be more LBGT-friendly than Kennedy, and back when he was socially liberal, maybe he was. But he tried so mightily to become the cave man that the conservative base wants that he won't get his tenuous base to the polls if he tries that "left of Ted Kennedy" line again. He's trapped in a position he'll try to weasel into "enlightened enough" for the independents... and now the Cons' recent favorite wedge issue, gay marriage, is something the cons don't want to touch. They know they're wrong, but they can't say that without losing a whole wing of their movement (social conservatives).

I do think Obama hedges more than I'd like sometimes, as with the gay marriage issue. But I've "evolved" on it too. I use to think "you know you can just have the same full rights and not offend the church lady by saying marriage." That's when I thought of the issue as purely pragmatic: who can be in the room with the dying spouse? Who can make medical decisions? Things like that. It wasn't until I saw it as a civil rights issue rather than a pragmatic issue that I started to see the injustice of making one kind of marriage -- the kind you dare not call marriage -- as a slap in the face to the people involved. I'm part of the big mass in the middle that finally went "ohhhhhh now I get it." I think basically Obama pretends he was part of that, but he seems to have supported gay marriage before he was "evolving on it."

So that part speaks to political cynicism just like Romney shows. I do think it's core to who Romney is (flip flopping) and tangential/tactical in Obama's case. I do think Obama wants to see this society evolve, and part of the proof of that is how he got the LBGT community the things he could even while he said he was "evolving" on the marriage issue.

Re: bullying - The fact that society's catching up with the inflicting of misery on other human beings in the school setting doesn't change that we knew right from wrong back in the day. We did, you know it too. People are people, and treating people right is basic to any good parenting, religious or otherwise. I knew kids from religious backgrounds who'd stick their necks out and be the one to actually speak up against bullying. I did too. Just leave the pariah kid alone -- never heard that?

Just because we're paying attention now doesn't mean it wasn't wrong then.

PFnV
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

The Washington Posts timing was quite good from a business perspective. I'm sure they published the article when they did because of Obama's announcement.

As far as the issue goes, did you ever see the fascinating Up series? It chronicles the lives of a group of people every 7 years, starting at age 7. They've done 7 films so far, so the participants are now 49 each. The tag line is, "Show me a boy at the age of 7, and I'll show you the man."

Obama and Bush's uses of drugs does say something about them and the culture and values they grew up with. Romney's bullying also says something about him. I would encourage you to resign yourself to Romney rather than try to defend him. His bullying continued well past high school with his vicious capitalist policies while at Bain.
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

What is interesting is that he does not remember the incident, but he apoligized for it anyways...

Romney and I are contemporaries, and all I remember were faint discussions by bullies about "rolling fags", but we used to drive down to P Town get drunk and sleep on the side of Rt. 6 for something to do...

It was always there and from my POV, tolerated, do not ever remember anyone bullying gay kids or picking on them.....
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

Whether you wanna call it bullying or getting into a lot of fights where the other the kid lost...don't matter.

Kids are kids in my mind. What matters is the person you end up being. But I wasn't a dipsh1t and had a sh1tload of friends...some of which I still have today. I didn't start fights with weak kids but other aggressive kids who thought they were tough guys. I never saw any sense in fighting a kid who didn't want to fight. But I did start fights often....but mostly in the period of 1st - 9th grade.

In high school, sports, girls and drinking became more important.

But life has a way of balancing things out and offering you a road down the right path as long as one chooses to walk it. I have few regrets from my childhood or any stage of my life. I have a core comfort & peace (at least with myself) that I would not trade for anything. I guess that's because I chose to walk down the path I'm on now. I did not find this path because I'm special or smart...but because I was humbled, weak and in pain.

There is nothing in my past I would change today because it all lead me to where I am today.
  14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It amuses me the way you constantly say something dumb and then have to backpedal so furiously.

You should really try to think before you hit the submit reply button, not after.
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

You were the one who originally called yourself a bully.

Too bad this thread isn't about you.
  16. BrickPat

BrickPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm sure Mitt was a douche and a bully in high school but I wouldn't want to be judged now based on who I was as a kid. Granted I never did what Mitt is accused of but I did a lot of regrettable and stupid things that are no longer a reflection of who I am now...decades later.
  17. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

Pretty much my POV too Brick.

I didn't bully anyone in HS, but that isn't to say I didn't do questionable things either. Not that I regret anything, but there certainly are some skeletons (like everyone else)

Ha, it why I could never run for POTUS (you know aside from the requisite millions it takes to do so) :)
  18. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

To bad you didn't run into someone like me mon amie. In eighth grade someone who keep screwing with me did it once to often. We were in shop, i stabbed him in the shoulder a couple of times with the screw driver i had in my hand. Then i grabbed him by the hair and started smashing his head on some lockers, i kept at it even though i knew he was unconcious. It took the teacher quite awhile to stop me. It was a beautiful thing, :) he never fvked with me again, but he was just the first. Nothing like a little Ultra Violence to ward off bully's

BTW mon amie i believe that you were a bully, i can tell by some of your posts.
  19. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL in his own book, his own words, Obama admits making fun of a "plump" girl in high school and shoving her. Where's the outrage over misogyny?
  20. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In my experience, those who are proud of beating up other people... were usually the bullies, not the bullied.
  21. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

We could use a Bully right now.
  22. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I never read his book.

But what you just wrote further concerns me about the core of Mitt Romney.
  23. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You mean that he was a normal teenager?
  24. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

After he got through bullying fatso he he went to lunch and had a "German Shepard Sandwich"
  25. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

1) The were both relatively children - although Obama was in middle school, in the playground, at recess, and reacting to others teasing him and the girl while Romney seems to have lead a planned attack.

2) Obama remembers his incident - Romney claims to not remember his. One could draw the conclusion that one tends to forget the ordinary and remember the extraordinary occurances.
  26. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Or maybe it's a composite of all the times he did it... just like his reported girlfriend was.
  27. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

What silliness people can argue over when it comes to politics, imagine the things the Kennedys did when they were in school and many democrats still believe The Kennedy's are direct decendents of God.
  28. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

I agree with the first part of your statement HB.

What personX did when they were a teenager, short of some massively inhumane situation (murder, rape, criminal theft et al) has about as much to do with whether I would vote for them as does what style of cereal they prefer.

Politics contains passion, in both us and pols and there is a lot of money to be made by those running. Passion, greed and money aren't always the best bed fellows.
  29. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I figured i always minded my own business, i didn't go out of my way to fk with anybody. So if if you fkd with me eventually something was going to happen, i was going to snap. And I wouldn't try to hurt you i'd try to kill you. Ive spent most of my life training myself to walk away, because i knew what i was capable of. But im pretty old and no longer have a temper like that, except i do have a little road rage at times. ;)
  30. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0