Welcome to PatsFans.com

It’s sure nice to be rid of that Christian, bible thumping Bush guy isn’t it?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jun 9, 2009.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Gee, I wonder if we'll see the media look at Obama's faith with the same over-kill that they did with Bush? I wonder if Bill Marr will feature Obama in his next religion hit job or if Oliver Stone will focus on how christianity plays a role in Obama's governing? I wonder if Obama's faith base intitiatives will draw the same ridicule Bush received?

Barack Obama invokes Jesus more than George W. Bush - Eamon Javers - POLITICO.com

Barack Obama invokes Jesus more than George W. Bush

He’s done it while talking about abortion and the Middle East, even the economy. The references serve at once as an affirmation of his faith and a rebuke against a rumor that persists for some to this day.

As president, Barack Obama has mentioned Jesus Christ in a number of high-profile public speeches — something his predecessor George W. Bush rarely did in such settings, even though Bush’s Christian faith was at the core of his political identity.

In his speech Thursday in Cairo, Obama told the crowd that he is a Christian and mentioned the Islamic story of Isra, in which Moses, Jesus and Mohammed joined in prayer.

At the University of Notre Dame on May 17, Obama talked about the good works he’d seen done by Christian community groups in Chicago. “I found myself drawn — not just to work with the church but to be in the church,” Obama said. “It was through this service that I was brought to Christ.”

And a month before that, Obama mentioned Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount at Georgetown University to make the case for his economic policies. Obama retold the story of two men, one who built his house on a pile of sand and the other who built his on a rock: “We cannot rebuild this economy on the same pile of sand,” Obama said. “We must build our house upon a rock.”

2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,452 / 33 / -54

No Jersey Selected

George W. Bush stabs a guy and it's murder. Barack Obama stabs a guy and the reaction is, "he killed one to save a thousand".

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

Obama and Jesus,
    Thats his "Black Heritage" the black community are a God Fearing People, they Love Jesus, they are faithful "Church Goers", they excel in their Gospel Singing they close their eyes, raise their arms and weep as they Sing Their Praise To God.
    I commend Obama on his faith, God Bless the Black Community they will keep Jesus alive, the Black People will never Bow To The Heathen.

FREE AT LAST
    FREE AT LAST
    THANK GOD ALMIGHTY
    I'M FREE AT LAST
    Martin Luther King Jr said that.

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Gosh, did the Boy King visit the Middle East in his first 4 months? Did he ever conduct as comprehensive a Middle East trip as Obama just did?

Yeah, ummm... I believe religion had to be acknowledged as Obama swung from Israel to Afghanistan last week. Kinda important, regardless of whether Obama believes the schlock or not.

5. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

yeah, ummm.. gosh.. golly jeepers.. like you respond in such a meaningful, relevant manner, man.....like wow

6. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Those are points but not the point. The double standard is the point.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Was this a serious response? Or are you just trying to get your post count up from 2nd string status?

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

werent people b!tching about him not quoting the bible enough last week?

"No gnews is good gnews" -Gary Gnu

9. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

This isn't about Obama to me. It's about the double standard of the media and left (was that redundant?). Bush was ridiculed, mocked and belittled for his religious beliefs by the same crowd including people on this board. Now the same people ignore, brush it off or defend Obama for doing even more of it.

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

Actually, I think this is a neat political trap by the Obama team. This is just the sort of accusation he wants as he continues to try to woo religious people. I do believe Obama is religious, though I suspect more in terms of ethics and morality than the supernatural. I don't like religion in politics, but when serving goals I believe in, it's a lot easier to take. Also, in fairness to Obama, it should be mentioned that he favored even in his campaign support for programs provided by faith-based organizations, especially those programs that help the needy.

11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Jeeziz fuggin Christ, Patters!

Don't you feel like taking a shower after wallowing in that crap?

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Quantify "more of it," oh dramatically vague one.

One of them based his entire domestic policy around a faith-based belief system. Do you really want to go down this road, and be reminded of all the quotes Boy King uttered regarding God guiding his decisions? It will be embarrassing for you.

I don't believe Obama is overly religious at all. He went on a trip to an ultra religious region, and he pandered. He's a political animal, not a zealot.

Gear down, and find something else a bit more tangible to complain about. This isn't it.

Oh, and the "media and corporate" would be the redundancy. Nice try.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I think you completely missed the point on Bush. HUGE difference between the two.

BUsh claimed that god spoke directly to him, and told him to do things....

President Bush said to all of us: 'I am driven with a mission from God'. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

Mr Bush went on: "And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East'. And, by God, I'm gonna do it."

That type of $h!t....

someone who talks like that is considered to have some form of Schizophrenia...

14. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Gotta agree with you on this one. He isn't religious at all. He is political and will say whatever he has to. If he was truly a Bible thumping Christian would he put a Sodomite in a high ranking position of our educational system? Umm, no.

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

"Sodomite"?
    Wow, you guys are funny.
    What a thread.
    Comparing Bush's religion with Obama's is ridiculous.
    Get over it.

16. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Why do you so often try and make things personal? Oh over dramatically vaque one??

I don't want to get into a pissing contest on who said God more. I'm sure Think Progress et al has every one of Bush's religious quotes front and center and I wonder if any time at all was ever spent looking into Obama's faith by these groups. It seems Bush's faith was always plenty tangible enough to complain about by the media so I don't see how reporting that isn't tangible when the same media ignores his successor.

So Obama just panders, is too smart to actually believe in God and goes to church just to fool those of us that aren't as smart as you guys into voting for him? A very principled leader indeed.

By more of it I was referring to the contention of the article that Obama presents his religion more publically than Bush did, though you'd never know it based on the relative silence from most of the media. I mean that was the gist of the article I linked, no? Also, I neither criticized nor complained that Obama is referencing God and religion in his speeches and press conferences. In fact I think he needs to under the circumstances but at the same time I think he's more genuine than you or Patters do. I think taking the stance that he's pandering or equivocating allows some here to accept his "faith" while maintaining the right to ridicule Bush. After all Obama is just "faking it", right? Now here I am supporting Obama for his faith but alas I guess I just fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Oh and on the redundancy correction, which I m sure you pointed out with the nicest intentions in mind, please understand that I'm not a journalist or an english major, just a guy trying to get along on a political forum. Sorry for the malapropism.:rolleyes: You may now diagram my sentences and correct my spelling.:D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  17. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

For him, I believe it's called "Speaking in the first person". He's fine. :singing:

18. CrazyDave

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Did'nt Gingrich just give some speech at some church where he went on and on about Christ and the importance of christianity in the USA?
    You know, Newt "I cheated on my wife while I was trying to crucify Clinton over Lewinski" Gingrich ?

19. CrazyDave

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Overkill?
    Give me a break.
    The guy said he was on a mission from god, a "crusade" if you will.
    Poor George.

20. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

That is the word that the Christian Bible uses. You know, Obama's religion.