Welcome to PatsFans.com

Israel Has A Right To Defend itself

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jul 16, 2006.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,371 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

They sure do...ready for an implosion within the democratic party. How the heck are they going to convince the anti-war faction of their group...that this war is okay (Israel's)?

I thought anti-war people think all war is bad? Seems to me alot of democrats are going to be slipping on the ice in the forseable future. Their hatred of Bush made them say many things about war that they may have to retract now.

Oh, I know they will say this war is a just war and Bush's war is a bad war.
    Israel is defending itself and Bush is defending nobody by fighting in Iraq.

Oh...the yarn will be spinning in many directions.

But me...I have just one thought about all of this.

Hamas=Hizbollah=Syria=Iran=Al-Queda
    They all share in the central belief of death to America and Israel.
    They all have ties to terrorism to keep their beliefs in the news.
    So how can fighting the same people be good and bad at the same time?

2. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Uhhh...I don't see a whole lot of democrats defending Israel these days.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2005
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

There is a difference between defending oneself and taking the "neo-con" approach, bomb them all and sort them out later. This eye for an eye philosophy is overkill and will leave everyone blind.

I have a hard time seeing the difference between these actions and the actions of US in Iraq... I know Israel is located there, but these issues go back centuries and to think they will be resolved in 30 years begs the issue.

Our silence is not winning the hearts and minds of the people of the mideast.

4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

War is supposed to be a last resort, not a first one.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +820 / 2 / -9

Their HATRED for Bush and the disbelief and jealousy that they lost TWO presidential elections to this man has driven them all insane, it isn't "war" they are against it is a man, George W Bush.

How will the people that live in America who LOVE Israel but HATE Bush handle this, Bush DEFENDS Israel, will their Hatred for Bush turn them against supporting a country they supposedly "Love"?
    (is this ok Patters or can you find something racist in it)

Liberals are so kind and good, "until it comes to Bush" :singing:

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +356 / 15 / -12

Israel has every right to defend itself, but it seems to raise the stakes each time it does so. First, Hamas kidnaps one soldier and then Israel invades. This happened only a week after Hamas softened its position on Israel as a result of negotiations with Abbas. Second, Hezbollah kills 8 Israeli soldiers and kidnaps 2. Israel had every right to attack Hezbollah positions, but why alienate the rest of Lebanon by attacking the Beirut airport and destroying bridges? The United States and others need to bring pressure to prevent this situation from getting out of control.

I don't think many of us oppose Israel responding to the attacks by Hamas and Hezbollah. We oppose the magnitude of the response for the simple reason that it could create a much worse situation throughout the Middle East.

7. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Israel Has A Right To Defend itself..but is going overboard now...

Actually...there is more than FIRST...on many fronts..There has been trouble in Gaza long before any soldier is kidnapped..so it has to be taken in a larger context time wise. What about all these Hezbullah prisoners Isreal has?? When, why and how were they captured??? There is a larger context to what is happening..that has to be looked at. I agree totally on what you are saying about attacking Lebanon. Attacking Hezbullah is one thing..attacking the whole country is another...especially since it is a democratic country..and Bush sits on the sideline of a democracy he put his cards into big time as it is crumbled by Israeli bombs. Ia gree much pressure needs to be brought to bare..but NeroW is just sitting and noing nothing.

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +356 / 15 / -12

Re: Israel Has A Right To Defend itself..but is going overboard now...

At this point, the larger context can almost be taken for granted, but this new round of attacks and counterattacks has got to stop.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2005
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +820 / 2 / -9

If we send troops to assist Israel will the NY Times, CNN and the Uncle Teddy Gang be screaming "hell no we won't go" what will Grampa Murtha have to say, how about the "Dick Chicks" and "John Fonda Kerry" how about "Al Jerk Franken" will they all be demanding to "bring them home now"?
    :bricks:

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There would be no more legitimacy to sending US troops to Israel than there would be sending them to Iraq. The only legitimate reason to send US troops is a clear and present danger to the security of the US. This is a real concern and a year from now I think it is a real possibility that we will be seeing dead Americans in Jordan, Lebanon and Gaza. How are these pre-Israeli types gonna react. It will be interesting.

11. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,371 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

You're making my point.

12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,371 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

So Israel should have invited Hizbollah to dinner to
    discuss murdered and kidnapped soldiers?

13. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,371 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Like NEM says..who would want to live getting rockets lobbed at you everyday. The only solution for Israel is to rid Lebanon of Hizbollah.

How quaint that Liberals make this an Israel vs Hizbollah squirmish.

Any grade school kid could tell you that Hizbollah is the puppet here.

14. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +731 / 11 / -7

I'm starting to wonder how much you actually know about the Arab-Israeli conflicts of the last few decades. Few if any American lives are put on the line in these conflicts. America loses soldiers in the middle east by taking American action in the middle east.

Of course, this time could be different. Israel seems to be holding its own quite well, however.

As to the difference between self-defense against adjacent neighbors who refuse to control the action of well-known terrorist groups on their territory, the better analogy would be Afghanistan, in the American case. The Taliban regime was much more actively sheltering our enemies, and, although I did not like this position, I was in favor of the U.S. war on the Taliban and their AQ allies. Yes, I do support the position mentioned earlier of war as a last resort. I do think, however, that Israel has had the right to resort to war for some time.

Once again though, I do not think it was the wisest way to go. And once again, I think there is far more at work than the abduction of three individuals, or even the terrorist history that preceded those actions. Israel's actions worry me, from the point of view of a backer of Israel.

But yes, these are different cases. Neocons and Lefter-than-thou types will be attempting to spin this for some time. You will have to work very hard to convince me that a half-dozen pretexts that turn out to be lies (in the Iraq war) is the equivalent of a few dozen rockets a year landing in your backyard (in the case of Israel.)

I'm not sure the Israeli reaction is the right one. But I am sure it's not the immediate and automatic equivalent of our own invasion of Iraq some years before.

PFnV

15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,371 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Re: Israel Has A Right To Defend itself..but is going overboard now...

So you are saying the Katyusha missles have stopped.

Israel has unfortunately killed some innocent civilians
    But Hizbollah is killing indiscriminantly.
    To me...that's what military does...it protects civilians Patters.
    Protection at it's core is creating space between yourself and your enemies...that is Israels mission...space or fight until there is a legitimate governemnt in Lebanon.