In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
He could help for a year or two?

6-0/254
Birthdate: 02/17/1981

He could help for a year or two?

6-0/254
Birthdate: 02/17/1981

I don't know where a guy like Tony Hunt would fall, but I like him to be drafted if he cna be got in the 3rd round or so.

I don't know where a guy like Tony Hunt would fall, but I like him to be drafted if he cna be got in the 3rd round or so.
More than likely we'd have to trade up, Hunt is likely a high #3. Although if he runs slow that could change.

Not sure about Duckett, I haven't seen him too much. We'll want a fairly cheap guy, though, as Maroney will be the main RB.

Yes, Duckett is a free agent.

Just tossing this out, how would people feel about Dominic Rhodes in FA? He's most comfortable as a backup and he would cost less than the 5 million Corey was bringing in.

I like Duckett. My question (and it is a question) is that didn't he have his best years after Atlanta hired Gibbs as their line coach? It seems to me that success under the Denver blocking schemes does not equate to success under more standard blocking shemes.

Just tossing this out, how would people feel about Dominic Rhodes in FA? He's most comfortable as a backup and he would cost less than the 5 million Corey was bringing in.

dont need him. hes a lesser kevin faulk. we dont need to draft a RB either. maybe a low profile FA backup but thats it. Maroney is the feature back. you dont get drafted in the first round to share anything.

How about Ron Dayne? He ran all over the Colts this year if I recall right. And he's headed for FA too.

Ron dayne is 30 and with maroney will give us good 2 yrs and very cheap.
T.J did not play alot this year and that worries me.ron played this season and i rather take him for that reason......and also prefer a veteran backup than a rookie.

Cousins,
Any interest in Lewis from Baltimore? He is a north or south guy who needs to redirect his career. He's gonna be a cap cut. BB and SP straighten him out perhaps? He's only like 28 and what if he gets 7 to 12 carries a game and insurance for LM. Couldn't he be had for less the $5m?

Heres one. How about Priest Holmes for 10 to 12 Carries a game? His neck is better. He wants to play but at 33 he has one or two years left. He is under contract with K.C. till 2009 but could be a cap cut (trade?). He is a class act.

Now the shocker.... What about Ricky "puff the magic" Williams? The Dolphins want to use him as trade bait but what is he worth a damaged goods? 5th rounder? Would you take Ricky for a fitth rounder for a couple years?

I agree about a rookie as main back up as a problem. Third team for experience? O.K. If Maroney gets dinged for a game or two, that is an awfull lot to ask. Why not re-sign Heath Evans. He did a hell of a job starting in 2005 a few games and we can get him, He's a great team guy and ST guy. The Pats are not a real good FB running team so don't measure his 2006 yards. That said , the dude did have a 4.3 YPC average in the FB slot.
DW Toys

IMO, we should re-sign Evans (he has already stated he wants to stay). Then we sign either Duckett (more likely because he will cost less) or Jamal Lewis. I believe both these backs are similar to the way Dillon played. I don't really see us drafting another RB, at least not with a Day One pick. I think we will go after a power runner, someone who is a veteran like the aforementioned two.

Thomas Jones wants (and is supposedly getting) a trade.

He'd be a nice compliment to LM and a great replacement for CD imo.

I heard someone today suggest Lamont Jordan as a Cory replacement. If he could be gotten for a 2nd day pick he might be what we need.

First of all, I don't think Jamal Lewis has much left. He did finish with over 1,000 yards rushing this year and had some good games, but he has steadily declined since his huge season in '03 (over 2,000 yards rushing that year). He ran the ball almost 400 yards that year and I think that much work in one year really took a lot out of him. Look at his yards per carry over the past few years:

'03: 5.3 yards per carry
'04: 4.3
'05: 3.4
'06: 3.6

So clearly he has declined quite a bit. You can see it in his game too, its not just stats. He looks a LOT slower and rarely shows any burst anymore. He basically looks a lot like Corey Dillon last year, only not as tough.

Plus, he's a terrible character guy. Just a total bad seed. No thanks.

Priest Holmes is done as well.

I think the best way to approach RB in this off-season would be to re-sign Evans and draft somebody in round 3 or 4 to hopefully take some carries away from Maroney. You'll notice that most successful NFL teams these days have two backs capable of sharing time. Maroney will be the main guy, but we still need somebody to rest him and keep his hits down.

Last edited:
I was banging the Duckett drum, or maybe bucket, because it sounds better, about a month back, as a possible "add-on," but thought CD would be back at a pay cut.

I say yes. He's an excellent bruising power back, with the capability to take over as a featured back if Maroney is out. He shouldn't come with too high a price tag either, but of course, that's the rub with all of the FAs. I for one have no clue until they start talking about their expectations, what those expectations are.

I like TJ. You don't pick up Jamal Lewis at this stage, and expect to get a bargain. He's got the great name, but no game. I'd hate to see us burn a high pick on a back, unless a really fantastic value falls to us.

PFnV

Rhodes won't be coming here for 2 reasons.
He is leaving the Colts to
A) Get PAID and
B) Become a Starter

None of those things will happen for him in New England.
A backup RB will be a need if Dillon does not return next year. But that's an unknown factor as of yet.

The worst thing could happen we cut him(TJ)...Sure lets take a look at him....I think we should draft the best value to come up in the system...Kevin is on the wrong side of 30....Maybe we will kill 2 birds with 1 stone....We have to retool,it is only business....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back