PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Isn't it all just so aggravating? - Pats beat both SB teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Isn't it all just so aggravating?

I am becoming increasingly worried that when all is said and done with Brady and Belichick, say 5 or 6 seasons down the line, I'll be telling my son (who would then be 10 or 11) about how great the Patriots were "back then." My father used to tell me about how the Pats "should have/would have won the Super Bowl" in 1978 if not for "roughing the passer." I certainly hope I don't end up talking to my son, and ending discussions about the Patriots with the phrase, "...but they should have/would have won two or three more Super Bowls...."
I really don't think many new fans realize how close the New England Patriots were/are/may be to being an unquestionably HISTORIC football team...

Impassioned and articulate, but wrong.

There's a reason that great teams with great coaches and/or QB's top out at three or four rings...it's hard to do any better over a ten year period in the NFL. There are always other great or very good teams.

The Belichick/Brady Pats? Sure. Five trips to the AFCCG and a couple of disappointing other seasons from 2001 to 2010. But four trips to the big dance and three Lombardis... Not too shabby.

The Landry/Staubach Cowboys? Seven trips to the NFCCG from 1970 to 1978. Five trips to the SB but "only" two Lombardis. Ran into the Noll/Bradshaw Steelers on the way to "history."

The Walsh/Seifert, Montana/Young niners? Nine trips to the NFCCG from 1981 to 1994, five trips to the SB and five rings. But...14 years...two coaches and two HOF QB's. Belichick and Brady are "only" ten years into their adventure and we don't know what the next few seasons might hold.

The Madden/Lamonica/Stabler Raiders? Seven trips to the AFCCG from 1969 to 1977, but just one trip to the SB and one ring (which Pats fans believe is tarnished).

The Reeves/Elway Broncos? Four trips to the AFCCG from 1986 to 1991, three trips to the big game and no rings.

Don Shula? Six trips to the AFCCG from 1971 to 1985. Five trips to the SB and, what?, only two rings.

Bud Grant? Five trips to the NFCCG from 1969 to 1977. Four trips to the SB, including three with Fran Tarkenton. No rings.

Marv Levy and Jim Kelly? Two of the greatest ever to grace the NFL and now Canton. Four consecutive but fruitless trips to the SB from 1990 to 1993, unfortunately running into HOF'ers Bill Parcells (next year), Joe Gibbs and Troy Aikman.

Chuck Noll? Yes, four rings with Terry Bradshaw in six seasons. But Bradshaw retired after only eight years as starter and Noll coached another nine years after that retirement, for a total of 23 seasons.

The Patriots have had to contend with opposition that now feels totally eclipsed by their juggernaut. Dungy and Manning? Cowher and Roethlisberger? Andy Reid? Kurt Warner? These are all great players and coaches, some of whom will be in Canton, who feel that their day in the sun was eclipsed by the Patriots. Let's count our blessings...and realize also that the Brady/Belichick era still has a few years to run.

Fitting that there are numerous references to the Colts in this thread.
Many here have acquired the Colts fan mentality. That is obvious.
All these regular season stats & awards mean little.
Once upon a time all Patriot fans knew this.

The Patriots deserve what they got.
Good job to Green Bay !
Unlike the Colts & Pats they did overcome many injuries to win.

Yup.
10 char

Perfectly stated. All these "we were a young team" "the team overachieved to 14-2 only because of Brady and BB" and "we're getting better--just wait til next year" fans are full of SH!T.

It's ironic because these homers talk about "entitled, spoiled fans" yet they feel the most entitled of anyone, e.g., with BB and Brady around the Pats automatically have a shot to win it all every single year. That's not how the NFL works. A team that is successful one year can disappear the next-we're no different.

Keep living in fairytale land people--this team has blown so many opportunites over the last 6 years it's sickening.

I agree, ignoring the obvious choke jobs of 06 and 07 we had a rebuilding team until Moss left, then we became monsters and no soft words can justify losing to the Jets. We might not deserve a title but we deserved more than seeing our team turn NYJ into the 85 Bears, we deserved more than turning Crumpler into Moss while the two rookies that balled all season are nowhere to be found, I won't go on we all know the drill.

I don't think we are primed for a run until the team stops being conservative and grabs some rushers and blockers, I mean I haven't seen a good Pats blitz in years.

Watching Brady get the first ever unanimous MVP after a league-best 14-2 season, one in which we beat BOTH the teams that played in the Super Bowl. We deserve to be champions tonight, and I can't believe we just pissed it away by losing to such a piece of sh*t team AT HOME.

I thought I was over it, but tonight has me pissed again. I'm sorry.

you didn't beat aaron rodgers actually

Watching Brady get the first ever unanimous MVP after a league-best 14-2 season, one in which we beat BOTH the teams that played in the Super Bowl. We deserve to be champions tonight, and I can't believe we just pissed it away by losing to such a piece of sh*t team AT HOME.

I thought I was over it, but tonight has me pissed again. I'm sorry.

You never deserve anything, you earn it. We didn't. Get over it.

Impassioned and articulate, but wrong.

There's a reason that great teams with great coaches and/or QB's top out at three or four rings...it's hard to do any better over a ten year period in the NFL. There are always other great or very good teams.

The Belichick/Brady Pats? Sure. Five trips to the AFCCG and a couple of disappointing other seasons from 2001 to 2010. But four trips to the big dance and three Lombardis... Not too shabby.

The Landry/Staubach Cowboys? Seven trips to the NFCCG from 1970 to 1978. Five trips to the SB but "only" two Lombardis. Ran into the Noll/Bradshaw Steelers on the way to "history."

The Walsh/Seifert, Montana/Young niners? Nine trips to the NFCCG from 1981 to 1994, five trips to the SB and five rings. But...14 years...two coaches and two HOF QB's. Belichick and Brady are "only" ten years into their adventure and we don't know what the next few seasons might hold.

The Madden/Lamonica/Stabler Raiders? Seven trips to the AFCCG from 1969 to 1977, but just one trip to the SB and one ring (which Pats fans believe is tarnished).

The Reeves/Elway Broncos? Four trips to the AFCCG from 1986 to 1991, three trips to the big game and no rings.

Don Shula? Six trips to the AFCCG from 1971 to 1985. Five trips to the SB and, what?, only two rings.

Bud Grant? Five trips to the NFCCG from 1969 to 1977. Four trips to the SB, including three with Fran Tarkenton. No rings.

Marv Levy and Jim Kelly? Two of the greatest ever to grace the NFL and now Canton. Four consecutive but fruitless trips to the SB from 1990 to 1993, unfortunately running into HOF'ers Bill Parcells (next year), Joe Gibbs and Troy Aikman.

Chuck Noll? Yes, four rings with Terry Bradshaw in six seasons. But Bradshaw retired after only eight years as starter and Noll coached another nine years after that retirement, for a total of 23 seasons.

The Patriots have had to contend with opposition that now feels totally eclipsed by their juggernaut. Dungy and Manning? Cowher and Roethlisberger? Andy Reid? Kurt Warner? These are all great players and coaches, some of whom will be in Canton, who feel that their day in the sun was eclipsed by the Patriots. Let's count our blessings...and realize also that the Brady/Belichick era still has a few years to run.

great post . . .

If the Patriots ever open their checkbooks and pay any coordinators more than 300K a year, they will win another Superbowl. Belichick can't do the jobs of 5 people at once, especially once a game starts. The only time since 2004 that we've paid any coordinator market money was 2007 and that was because we thought Dom Capers might have to replace a suspended Belichick.

Dom Capers was 2008....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back