PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is WR a need if Gaffney does not sign???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I think its still a need, we need another posesion reciever beside Welker... Gaffney would fit the mold.. I think Jabar Gaffney is a underated performer.. He has come along way in 2 yrs, and would love him back..

Plus not much out there in WR market.. And Chad Jackson is a question mark at the very least.. Washington's deal is pretty cheap if anyone saw it..

Still would like a CB and a LB, but goal one is complete with Moss...

I think its still a need, we need another posesion reciever beside Welker... Gaffney would fit the mold.. I think Jabar Gaffney is a underated performer.. He has come along way in 2 yrs, and would love him back..

Plus not much out there in WR market.. And Chad Jackson is a question mark at the very least.. Washington's deal is pretty cheap if anyone saw it..

Don't you say anything about Chad Jackson ;) .You will be called out by some.

I personally feel Gaffney is not worth #2 money…at all.

He’s a product of Brady.

YET. The thing is – we’d have no one to replace him...yet. Chad Jackson (IMO) is either going to be a superstar or a flat out bust so as you said – he’s way to big of a question mark.

So yeah – if we lose Gaffney, we have to find someone to be a definitive #2 receiver. I feel Chad Jackson COULD be that guy - but none of us can be sure yet.

Last edited:
I am interested to see how it plays out. Like most I'd love to see Chad Jackson step up and contribute this year but that of course remains to be seen. What about Troy Brown coming back for one more healthy year? Moss, Welker, Jackson, Brown, Washington doesn't look too bad to me. I'd love to have Gaffney back but if they let him go I think it's a sign that Jackson might be ready to step up.

I'd like Gaffney back, but if he wants more than $1.5M-$2M per year, he can be let go of. He's a JAG, maybe slightly better, that is made by Tom Brady's greatness. Caldwell is another example of this.

I'm sure BB could find a guy for 800K to put up similar production if Gaffney's asking price gets out of line.

Last edited:

No way we can count on Chad Jackson. He may be a dud. Kelly

Washington is simply a star on special teams. I think the next order

of business for the Pats should be to re-sign Gaffney. Then, they

can concentrate on filling the holes on defense.

Has Troy signed?? Might be good insurance...yes I think they STILL need Gaffney and/or another WR...besides what the team has now...but I would NOT go spending or rather OVER spending for that to happen.

How about DJ Hackett? What kind of money will he command?

I personally feel Gaffney is not worth #2 money…at all.

He’s a product of Brady.

YET. The thing is – we’d have no one to replace him...yet. Chad Jackson (IMO) is either going to be a superstar or a flat out bust so as you said – he’s way to big of a question mark.

So yeah – if we lose Gaffney, we have to find someone to be a definitive #2 receiver. I feel Chad Jackson COULD be that guy - but none of us can be sure yet.

I totally think Gaffney is made by Brady. He's an extra receiver that comes in and finds the gaps created by the defense paying so much attention to our offensive weapons. Before Moss and Welker, Gaffney was having a lot of trouble getting downfield. Brady was making perfect throws to him but he didn't have enough coordination to align his body in position to make the catch.

That being said, he is a heady guy who has a knack for finding open spaces down near the end zone. He reminds me a little bit--in that respect--to Troy Brown.

Really, I don't want to see him on the opposite side of Moss, but I'd like to bring him back as a depth guy.

He's worth $2 million a year.

Just think of how well David Givens used to produce for us when he was here. He gave us more as a #2 than any of the one's we've had since.

You could argue, though, that Givens would not be a #2 on most teams in this league.

I'd like to see Gaffney resigned, but I also think Marty Booker could perform at a similar (if not higher) level in NE's offense, and DJ Hackett could possibly be an option. So, Gaffney's not a "must" resign. NE's current depth chart at WR:

1) Randy Moss
2) Wes Welker
3) Chad Jackson (he's the wild card. If he plays up to his potential NE's 2008 WR corp could actually be even better than the 2007 version, but he could also under perform, or get injured.)
4) Kelley Washington (It doesn't seem like he'll ever reach his once believed potential at WR, but I do think he can offer more than just special teams duty.)
5) CJ Jones (Good returner)
6) Same Aiken

Last edited:
Even if Gaffney leaves, the Patriots will be okay with what they have. I would rather see the Pats concentrate on ILB and CB. Some WR will be cut between now and opening day that can picked up for the minimum or not much more. It would be nice to have DJ Hackett, but he would cost too much. Hey, the Pats can re-sign Reche Caldwell if they really feel they need another WR under contract!

I think there's a chance that the Pats draft another WR this year. How would James Hardy look in the 2nd round?
The Pats won't overpay for Gaffney. Brady made him look good, not the other way around.

Chad Jackson, Washington, and new rookie are more than enough competition for the #3 receiver spot.
IMO Welker is our true #2, although he plays the slot instead of a wideout position.

Last edited:
I hope Gaffney is back. He was an underrated performer.

Either way, it is put up or shut up time for Jackson, he has to start contributing, even if it in a reserve/ST role. I'm not blaming the kid for getting hurt, which obviously set him back, but you are only on scholarship for so long. Potential alone can't carry you beyond your 3rd season.

I think we need to be clear here. The Pats aren't shopping for a #2 wide receiver (unless you guys are simply refering to the position of an X on the field).

Wes Welker led the NFL in receptions in 2007 with 112 catches. There isn't anybody in the league the Pats could sign who would challenge Moss and Welker as the clear number 1 and number 2 receivers on this team.

Nor should the Pats be looking to pay one of these "just a guy" receivers on the depth chart top receiver money. Let stupid teams do that. I can't believe that somebody just paid $5 million a year to sign the Pats' #4 WR. That's insane.

I think it is fair to say the 3rd WR spot on this team behind Moss/Welker is still a pretty big question mark.

The other 4 WRs on the roster had 1 catch combined in 2007.

Last edited:
I totally think Gaffney is made by Brady. He's an extra receiver that comes in and finds the gaps created by the defense paying so much attention to our offensive weapons. Before Moss and Welker, Gaffney was having a lot of trouble getting downfield. Brady was making perfect throws to him but he didn't have enough coordination to align his body in position to make the catch.

That being said, he is a heady guy who has a knack for finding open spaces down near the end zone. He reminds me a little bit--in that respect--to Troy Brown.

Really, I don't want to see him on the opposite side of Moss, but I'd like to bring him back as a depth guy.

He's worth $2 million a year.

Agreed, and though I too like Gaffney, he's not irreplaceable like a Moss or even Welker for that matter. As such, should Gaffney demand more than $2M, and I think even that's a bit too high, just pick up a possession receiver or draft someone like Arrington with a fourth or fifth round pick.

I think it is fair to say the 3rd WR spot on this team behind Moss/Welker is still a pretty big question mark.

The other 4 WRs on the roster had 1 catch combined in 2007.

I don't think Gaffney is a priority with Moss and Welker inked for the next 3 years together.

If some team opts to overpay Gaffney, let him go.

I don't think Gaffney is a priority with Moss and Welker inked for the next 3 years together.

If some team opts to overpay Gaffney, let him go.

I never said it has to be Gaffney who I like but would never consider paying a significant amount to keep.

A team that runs as many 3 WR sets as the Pats basically has 3 starting WRs. They have 2 great ones and a hole at the 3rd spot. None of the 4 other guys on the roster has proven they can fill it.

At the least I would anticipate them bringing in a veteran as competition for that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back