Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is Wikileaks Julian Assange a Hero or an Enemy???

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jun 19, 2010.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

I think the discussion of Julian Assange and Wikileaks should be a hot topic in this country right now. In some ways I see him as a hero and I think what he's doing could be a good thing.

Another part of me thinks this is dangerous ... it will lead to more killing. A video does not always tell the real story and military operations are not always perfect. Our men and women need to be protected.

I'm on the fence on this one ... just not sure yet.

I posted about his last leak regarding the loss of life of innocents in Iraq and there was little interest here.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ks-editing-murder-shaping-media-coverage.html

This is the latest ... not yet out, perhaps more will check it out now?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

Re: Is Wikileaks Julian Assange a Hero or a Traitor???

Icy, there is little interest in Iraq now because "Bush Is Gone" and because President Jug Ears now owns Iraq, atrocities by the thousands could go on over there and the Obama Media would still be harping about "Tea Party's" and an illegal alien being asked for his fishing license.
  3. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

You're kind of right Harry ... they seem more occupied with Sarah Palin and Tea Parties. Poor Joe Slumberger ... he's going to have to go back to plumbing ... without a license no less.

Does that make him an alien plumber???
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +247 / 3 / -4

So, what are your thoughts on this, Harry -- both the Iraq one from Icy previously, and this one, re. Afghanistan?
  5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

All the Afghan & Iraq stuff is in Obama's ball park now, he's the commander in chief he had the power to bring them home the day he was sworn in, thats what his supporters wanted and expected, I think he forgot all about Gitmo also, the Bush Haters seem to have frgotten all this stuff too, it used to be pretty important to them back in The Bush Days.........
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

I check it often, and recently there has been some brou ha ha about Reyjavik or other such nonsense that I do not understand..

Currently he is in hiding somewhere in Africa, after an unsuccessful attempt on his life..

As far as the article goes, think we are all a lot worn out with wars since '01, and desensitized to violence..

Compare to Viet Nam anti war, hit its height in the late 60's.. when we pulled out there was less opposition, maybe because it was ending or maybe there is a recognition that because of the blurring of boundaries between the military industrial complex and the Beltway.. there is not much that can be done..
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

I didn't quite think about it from this angle ... and your points are good.
  8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +247 / 3 / -4

you've slipped back into your cocoon, it seems. Plenty of folks on the left continue to criticize Obama for not addressing many of these issues. Where do you get the idea that people have forgotten about it?
  9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

It may be that we are all weary of the partisan gameplaying that attaches to every issue.

If we grossly simplify everything, every shoe is on the other foot, and everything is exactly the same except now it's the other guy's fault.

However, Obama did not run against all war everywhere. He ran against the Iraq war, and in favor of focusing on Afghanistan and Pakistan. He is indeed refocusing U.S. military efforts. It's one of the facts of his centrist approach; and I believe his centrism is driven by a wariness of being saddled with "librul" labels (as in, "hell, he doesn't want to kill anybody!")

But what do we end up with? Dems insisting this is right and smart and good, and Republicans all acting like they're fu(king Ghandi and believe we should all sing Kumbayah (and that they've always believed this.)

Do I think Iraq is a proven wrong war? Yeah. Do I think Afghanistan should now bog us down for eight or nine years? Hell no. Do I think it's possible there could be some benefit from being in Afghanistan/pressuring Pakistan? Ehhh. Tough sell, but I can see the possibility.

It's weird that those who so recently called for a "GWOT" (they do love their acronyms,) are now dead against being present on such an endeavor's central front. Those who were against the Iraq war can rationally be in favor of action in Afghanistan, but as I said, it's a tough sell. And a trillion bucks worth of minerals might make for quite the sweetener for the continuation of this thing, just as a lake of oil helped attract us to Iraq.
  10. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm very against it. I think this guy should be killed for treason. We are at war and he is releasing classified information. If I were in charge the CIA would make him disappear and no one would know any better.
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Many reasonable people call this "whistleblowing"... tough for some to comprehend that this is the American Way.. if you know of a wrong let people know.

U.S. Intelligence planned to destroy WikiLeaks, 18 Mar 2008 - WikiLeaks

Thank god for Daniel Ellsberg....
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  12. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Whistleblowing about the lies and coverups of the government, congress, the president and the military industrial complex = heroic.
  14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

He's an Australian citizen.

I initially had treason in the header but I changed it to enemy because he's not an American citizen.

The people who give him the material are in big trouble ... the current one is in the brig.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  15. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ya, the people who give out the classified information are the ones committing treason.
    Before you get your security clearance you sign paperwork saying you won't give out classified information otherwise Uncle Sam will get up in your ass. (I believe that is verbatim if I recall...)
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

Whistleblowers are Rats, Stool Pigeons, steer clear of them, don't let them in your yard, creeps.
  18. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +247 / 3 / -4

So you're like the folks in bad neighborhoods who think nobody should help the cops when they're investigating crimes. Good to know.
  19. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

Nah ... Harry would sell you out for a gum job from the neighbor.:D
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

More info on Julian, imagine if everyone kept quiet about Mi Lai??? It did not make any difference it was the greatest whitewash ever imagined..

WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange Speaks: His Outreach to the Pentagon - The Daily Beast