PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Welker a replacement for Brown?? And who is going to stretch the field..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I will be very shocked if Miami matches the offer.. So Im assuming Welker is a Pat.. With that said, would you think he is more of a replacement for Brown, who might be done now.. Or is he signed to be a .. gulp ... number 1 reciever... He is a great all around player, but he is not a number 1 reciever, and it still does not solve the problem of stretching the defense... Still I guess the last few second round picks.. Marquies Hill, Chad Jackson, Bethal Johnson, Adrian Klemm... He is worth it , espically in the late second round..

Again we do need 1 more Vet WR and a draft pick...

I Still I guess the last few second round picks.. Marquies Hill, Chad Jackson, Bethal Johnson, Adrian Klemm... He is worth it , espically in the late second round..

Deion Branch, Matt Light, and even Eugene Wilson wave Hi as well.

I will be very shocked if Miami matches the offer.. So Im assuming Welker is a Pat.. With that said, would you think he is more of a replacement for Brown, who might be done now.. Or is he signed to be a .. gulp ... number 1 reciever... He is a great all around player, but he is not a number 1 reciever, and it still does not solve the problem of stretching the defense... Still I guess the last few second round picks.. Marquies Hill, Chad Jackson, Bethal Johnson, Adrian Klemm... He is worth it , espically in the late second round..

Why do we need someone to stretch the field? I don't understand why that has become such a hot notion this off-season, but we dont need someone to stretch the field, just someone who is a threat to catch the ball and get open consistently. Welker will do that. Have we ever had a guy that stretches the field during our run? And no, Branch doesnt count.

he may be browns replacement but I still hope Brown comes back for one more I think there is room for him Caldwell Welker Gafney Brown hopeful of a day one WR and Chad jack despite the promising news could start on pup.

Why do we need someone to stretch the field? I don't understand why that has become such a hot notion this off-season, but we dont need someone to stretch the field, just someone who is a threat to catch the ball and get open consistently. Welker will do that. Have we ever had a guy that stretches the field during our run? And no, Branch doesnt count.

Good point...."speed-burner" and "stretch- the-field",have become fantasy football cliches.

You stretch the field by catching the ball and by yards after catch......like Wes Welker,by the way.

I understand that ,but we did not do a good job of strethcing the field this past yr..

We did manage to win 3 Superbowls while keeping the field the same size.

Unless you think Branch is faster than Caldwell and Gaffney, which he is not.

I understand that ,but we did not do a good job of strethcing the field this past yr..

We must have stretched something to go up 18 points on the colts in the AFC Championship.

I posted this in another Welker thread:

"Some people say that Welker is only a YAC-guy, and not a deep threat as if that is a bad thing. I have some news for you, fellas, Deion Branch wasn't a deep threat either, he was very much a YAC-guy. Rarely was Branch called to run a 60 yard post or go deep (not saying it didn't happen, 'cause it did, but that's not what Branch was good at), he could catch a ten to twenty yard pass and make it a 30 yarder with some nifty shake and bake after the catch. Welker is going to be able to do the same, with just as much ability as Branch to occasionally go 60 yards. He's a good receiver and definitely worth the second rounder *(I also think that the 38.5 million dollar contract is misleading). Make no mistake about it, Welker isn't here to replace a third receiver like Troy (God Love 'Im), he'll be here to replace Deion."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=51781&page=12

Good point...."speed-burner" and "stretch- the-field",have become fantasy football cliches.

You stretch the field by catching the ball and by yards after catch......like Wes Welker,by the way.

Or by creating mis matches and sending multiple receivers including TEs, full backs, RBs as well as receivers.

"We did manage to win 3 Superbowls while keeping the field the same size.

Unless you think Branch is faster than Caldwell and Gaffney, which he is not."

Wow you really are clueless to think that Branch isnt faster than gaffney and caldwell. I mean branch is one of the faster wr's in the nfl. Caldwell is speedy but Gaffney is just average.

Wow you really are clueless to think that Branch isnt faster than gaffney and caldwell. I mean branch is one of the faster wr's in the nfl. Caldwell is speedy but Gaffney is just average.

They were all timed. Why not check?

I guess I'll have to check for you, (of course).

http://ww1.nfl.com/draft/2002/WR_ratings.html

4. Jabar Gaffney, Florida (6-1 1/8, 193, 4.49 on grass)
Did not work out at the combine other than the participating in the shuttle and cone drills. Ran two 40s (4.48 and 4.49) on grass at Pro Day. Had a 36½-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot, 10-inch long jump. High-school football player who caught the game winning pass in the 1997 State Championship Game as a wide receiver. Redshirted in 1999. Started eight games in 2000 and set NCAA Div. I-A freshman record for touchdowns as a wide receiver with 14. Also set NCAA record for yards gained by a freshman. Tremendous athlete with very good hands. Does a very good job adjusting to the ball. Has great body control, fluid and has outstanding ability to gain yards after the catch. Had some character problems and was kicked off the team after the 1999 season. Came back without a scholarship for the 2000 season. Does not have real big hands. Florida has had receivers picked in Round 1 who did not burn up the league — is he a product of the system? During the time I spent with him, three days at the Playboy All-America weekend, he was a model young man.

6. Reche Caldwell, Florida (5-11¾, 194, 4.39 on grass)
Worked out at the combine. Had a 41½-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot, 10-inch long jump. Performed 10 strength lifts and ran two 40s (4.48 and 4.50) on wet grass. Was a high school quarterback who passed for 77 touchdowns in his career. Redshirted in 1998. Started two games in 1999 and 12 in 2000. Started and had a big year in 2001 (63 catches and 10 touchdowns). Very good athletic ability with top speed. Very good body control. Florida's offensive system is very good and tends to make wide receivers look a lot better than they end up being in the NFL. This player has good hands and the quickness needed for the position.

15. Deion Branch, Louisville (5-9 1/8, 191, 4.47 on turf)
Had a complete combine workout. Had a 36-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot, 9-inch long jump. Also ran the 40-yard dash twice for times of 4.45 and 4.49 seconds. Played at a junior college for two years. Returned kicks while playing receiver. Was redshirted in 1999 for academic reasons. Has soft, reliable hands that enable him to make the clutch catch. Not as tall as teams like even though he caught more than 140 passes for 19 touchdowns over the past two seasons.

Ask somebody who knows if running a 40 timed 2 hundredths of a second faster on turf as opposed to grass really makes you faster?

If i remember right Welker was a really good kick, and punt returner. Brown did that alot also so i would think he will be browns replacement. Brown will announce retirement within the next couple of weeks.

Maybe you could use one of these.

Clue-Game.jpg

Last edited:

Branch makes Caldwell look like an old lady in a walker compared to speed.

Sup guys, haven't posted in a while..Been a little busy and afterall it is the offseason so I try to tone down my fanaticism for a few months..Anyways, David Patten in '04 definitely stretched the field for us and that was our best offensive season so I think it is important if you have that threat of going over the top but I also think with Watson entiring year 3, Gaffney basically year 1 full, Reche year 2 and Maroney year 2 that with everyone being more experienced in the offense you'll see a nice improvement over '06 when the offense was solid to begin with...

Terms like "stretch the field" and "shut down corner" are largely used by fans and fantasy players they are probably not used by the NFL gurus. If Jackson is healthy and Watson gets over his dropsies, these two guys can fill that role. Highlight reels are not what wins games, it is about moving the chains, possessing the ball and stopping the other team from scoring.

I agree with everyone else that we are not a down field team. Bethel Johnson, Tim Dwight, Andre Davis were brought in for their speed and ability to get down field. Chad Jackson was brought in last year to do just that, but was hampered by injures. I think Jackson is our guy next year to stretch the field. So that leaves Caldwell/Gaffeny #1-2 Brown/Welker #3 Jackson #4 and maybe a high pick rookie who can vie for a #1-2 spot or worst case be our #5 while he learns the system. If we do take a rookie it won't be a burner like Ginn or Hill, but more like a Bowe or Jarrett

Branch has more football speed than either Gaffney or Caldwell. They play more like Givens and are good possession receivers but they do not stretch the field which we do need. Also Branch was able to get open over the deep middle of the field. Nobody we currently have does that regularly and Welker doesn't fit the bill either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes