PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Trent Edwards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another thread, I said his performance was Brady-esque, but not that he is TB.

For a guy making his first start, he showed good pocket presence and moved the ball pretty well including getting just enough for the first down with the underneath pass.

edwards was recommended by the late bill walsh.

Solid fundamental player with real nerve (that 4th and goal TD pass was a mighty cool play), Edwards looks to be. I hope they go back to Losman soon. ;

Last edited:
PB&J anyone?

YOUR OWN EYES
have told you that Brady's genes have more to do with his success
than the guidance/instruction/training ... the COACHING he received
from the best in the biz ?!

To repeat, you MIGHT be correct.
But you are so sure of it!

On the other hand, you and Frezzy and Holly are dreaming. :rolleyes:

To even take this conversation seriously is a stretch of disbelief.

Tom Brady is Tom Brady. He ain't Edwards, or Romo, or DelHomme or whatever flavor of the week you want to pick.

And he ain't some kind of Frankengenius created by BB and Weis. Time to put down your peace pipe, it is making you silly in the head.

He has won more games with less offensive help than any other QB in history, and he outshines the regular silver spoon QB club when he occasionally has the offensive weapons that other teams depend on every year to pad their stats.

YOUR OWN EYES

Positive. You cannot teach intangibles. If you're lucky you succeed to some extent without them (I'm watching two guys who don't have any duke it out in the big apple tonight) based on talent. If you're born special you have both. It was in a loss that Bill and Charlie realized what they had in Brady. Charlie, since he's now removed from the equation, will tell you he learned at least as much from Brady as Brady ever did from him.

BTW it never ceases to amaze me...after all these years...that some of you still don't get it.

Or perhaps pretend "not to get it" for some sort of misguided agenda.

Not sure how any Pats fan old enough to vote could not "get it" about Brady at this point, but wonders never cease.

One wonders why Belichick and Weis didn't teach Bledsoe how to move around the pocket the way Brady does.

They can't teach Brady to run faster either. Bledslow never tried to do anything to make his feet move faster. Take up dancing or judo or whatever. In teh off season he just went off to Montana and did nothing.

Why is it that every new QB who has a little success has to be compared to Brady? He beat the JETS. Big deal. :rolleyes:

I argee a guy deos good against a bad or semi good team and then everyone calls him the next Tom Brady. Let me be Blunt There may never be another Tom Brady

Jabbar Gaffney has a nice touchdown last week, it kind of reminded me of Jerry Rice. I think Jabbar Gaffney just might be the next Jerry Rice :rolleyes:

He may not be a future Tom Brady but he sure is way better than J.P. Loseman.

Don't expect J.P. to get his job back once he is able to play,He may be in for a tough challenge just like its going to be with the Jets and Pennington and Clemens going head to head at QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoPat
YOUR OWN EYES

To which MoLewisrocks said:

Positive. You cannot teach intangibles. If you're lucky you succeed to some extent without them (I'm watching two guys who don't have any duke it out in the big apple tonight) based on talent. If you're born special you have both. It was in a loss that Bill and Charlie realized what they had in Brady. Charlie, since he's now removed from the equation, will tell you he learned at least as much from Brady as Brady ever did from him.

BTW it never ceases to amaze me...after all these years...that some of you still don't get it.

I think i "get it", Mo.
I think, actually that fairly early in the 2003 season i was the very first poster on patsfans.com
to dare to breathe that "Tom Brady is the next Joe Montana".
This, of course, has by now become a cliche of the conventional wisdom.
If i wasn't quite the first ... i certainly did "get it" early enough.
(5Rings4Brady and someone else state the same criticism less intelligibly.)

What AndyJohnson says in another thread ("Acquiring Quarterbacks") might bear repeating (in part) here:

Personally I think [A solid program for developing quarterback skills at the pro level - Metaphors] is 95% of the equation.
The difference is they walk into that first mini-camp being about 3% of what they ultimately need to be. COACHING makes the difference. Without question, coaching the wrong guy is useless. But coaching the right guy poorly dooms him.

I think Tom Brady is one of a kind. But lets say we hadn't drafted Brady, but drafted someone else. I STRONGLY believe that with the coaching that was given to Brady, that other guy (if he was capable) or another draft pick or FA thereafter, would have been coached up and we would have a 'very good' QB today. I also strongly believe that there is at least a 50/50 chance that this unknown guy is either sitting on someones bench or out of the league because he didn't get the right coaching.

- post #2

And again, in post #5:
Favre received TREMENDOUS coaching in the WCO in his early years. Makes my point actually. If Atlanta hadn't traded him, would he have ever 'become Brett Favre"?

I suggested that Trent Edwards was the Bill's Tom Brady. By that I didn't mean It literally. what i really meant is that the Bills had found a QB who has that indefinable but easy to recognize combination of talent and POISE that can be a leader of your Team.

There are QBs who have an insufficient amount of talent but do have a head on their shoulders, and play in the NFL for a decade. Their coaches are always looking to replace them but their heads not their arms, keep them on the roster. There ar eother s with all the talent and no head for the game.

I liked Trent Edwards before the draft. I was even hoping the Pats drafted him if he fell to the fourth or fifth round or so. I simply meant that in rebuilding any Team you need to find the starter at QB.
Edwards looks like the foundation that the Bills need. How good he will end up, I don't know. But he can the Bill's starter for the next decade. Thats all you can ask.

I was just impressed with the way he came in cold against the Pats and guided the Bills to a TD, with a combination of a pretty good arm and POISE. He also showed a live arm and obviously has the requisite size. Even in the first game of his rookie year, one he was not prepped for, the game did not seem too fast for him.

One of the things I am always jaundiced about First Round QBs, That they have never suffered any athletic setbacks. They have won everywhere and you never know how they will respond to being beaten up and losing in a rebuilding franchise. Edwards has already passed that test by being the QB of a a Team that has not won recently in the Pac-10. A team that has a distinct athletic talent disadvantage. But he played gamely and still stood out amidst all the carnage.

I'm not surprised to see him confirm that was not just a superficial first impression. I have never thought JP had the entire kit bag that a starting QB needs. JP has the arm, and speed but his POISE is somewhat lacking. Look at how he runs his mouth. A leader should try to protect his teammates; instead JP invites punishment for them.

Trent Edwards was 0-7 in his senior year at Stanford. It will take a lot more than winning one game against a team that looked like it didn't want to win, to put him in the same universe as Tom Brady, much less the same breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back