Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is this what we need?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by atomdomb, Jan 30, 2009.

1. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I really can't believe this is happening especially with the economy like it is now. I find most of this to be totally ridiculous and it is only a matter of time until American say enough is enough. I predict a dramatic rise in Ruby Ridge/Carl Drega type shootouts. All people buying guns aren't buying them because they think that nothing is going to happen.

Mandate could force gas stations out of business - Pasadena Star-News

ARCADIA - Dozens, and potentially hundreds, of gas stations around California are choosing to shut down rather than comply with a state mandate that would require owners to purchase new equipment to reduce vapor emissions at the pump. The requirement, known as Phase II in the state's Enhanced Vapor Recovery Program, is set to go into effect in April. It requires gas station owners to individually purchase tens of thousands of dollars of equipment designed to prevent harmful vapors from escaping into the air when gasoline is pumped.

April's requirements would have cost him $35,000, he said. Fasching used to sell the gasoline as a convenience for his car wash customers, and blames the new regulations for forcing him to stop.

April's regulations promise to cut what are known as reactive organic gas emissions by 7 tons per day statewide, but opponents point to the fact that California produces 2,322 tons of such gases per day. Are you kidding me! I almost started shooting after reading this. Hundreds of small business might close because some jack off agency wants to reduce the tonage from 2322 to 2315! I wonder how George Washington would have handled this type of sh!t.

We do calculate the cost of compliance with the regulation as related to emissions," Stanich said. "These costs could be recovered by raising gasoline prices by an average 0.68 cents per gallon."!!!!!!!!!!really!!!!!!!!

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I keep saying this, all this "climate change prevention" crap is nothing more than ripping up dollar bills and tossing them into the air. You're taking a certain amount of GDP (small now but it will be more if Algore gets his way) and spending it on nothing. Relaxing all these crazy standards and rules would be more stimulative for the economy than this crazy near $1T spending bill they're passing.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Loon Bastards
    Buy A Gun
    The End Is Near
    Obama Smokes

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

If the article is accurate, it does seem ridiculous. While the requirement might make sense, certainly small independent dealers should be exempt or subsidized.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Subsidized. I love that word. Subsidized by whom? You do know that a subsidy simply means that someone else has to pay for it. As is usually the case, that someone else is the taxpayer.

6. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

has anyone else noticed that at most gas stations now, when you pump your gas, its obvious the weights and measures are off and you getting hosed?
    I have a 12 gallon tank. In the last year when i pump my gas ive noticed at about 80% of the places if I come in with, say, 1/4 tank of gas, i know I only need 9 gallons or so.
    I get a little irritated when i pass the 11 gallon mark. They are making more money off of everybody this way.

7. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

1) The politics of climate change are vast and complex, but it probably has more to do with weakening oil companies and oil states than anything. They are vastly over-powered today.

2) Actually, regulations can be very economically stimulating. It just depends on what industry perspective you're coming from. Gas stations paying extra for the equipment don't like it, but the equipment manufacturers love it.

Plus, we've already seen the destruction deregulation causes. No reasonable person is bullish on deregulation nowadays.