PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is This Vince Wilfork's Last Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
He might demand huge $$$$$...

BB drafted a lot of bodies at a fraction of what he could make.

Will he be franchised/traded for picks?

Thoughts...

Could be. IMO I think they're waiting to see what happens with the CBA and whether there will be a cap next year before they make any moves w/ such long-term ramifications, but if Brace and Pryor both look really good this year, then it's definitely possible. With so many teams out there transitioning to the 3-4 and looking for NTs, he'd certainly be a valuable commodity.

No. He'll be franchised if he's not signed to a long term contract first, which will still probably happen. No brainer. Brace and Pryor provide some leverage and insurance, but it still all starts in the middle with Big Vince.

In this humble man's opinion (and granted, I don't know where we stand on the salary cap) I suspect the drafting of Brace and the $$$ Wilfork will command that this is his last year in a Pat's uniform. Remember, Brady is also coming up on an extension as well.

I don't believe that the franchise number for DTs is that bad (It's the DEs that get all the money). And, I'd say, Wilfork is definitely worth it to this team.

I think VW is the kind of player that would get himself on the field for any type of defense, 4-3 or 3-4. Heck, I bet for the Broncos he'd be an every down player.

I'm not ready to weigh in on the franchise/don't franchise debate, but I sure hope they can find a way to keep Big Vince.

I don't believe that the franchise number for DTs is that bad (It's the DEs that get all the money). And, I'd say, Wilfork is definitely worth it to this team.

I think VW is the kind of player that would get himself on the field for any type of defense, 4-3 or 3-4. Heck, I bet for the Broncos he'd be an every down player.

In 2009, the DT franchise was $6.06 million, brought up a bit thanks to that absurd Haynesworth contract, almost $3 million less than the DE franchise number as you mentioned. So for that price, yeah, it'd totally be worth it.

Longer-term, it's really up to Vince. He's not going to get a record-setting deal from the Pats. It comes down to whether he's willing to accept a bit less than market value. But like someone mentioned earlier, it's not going to move much until the CBA issue is settled.

Last edited:
If he's not extended, he'll be franchised. So I'll say no.

My opinion is it's 50/50 for the Patriots to sign Wilfork to a new deal. He knows he will not get a "market value" deal, but rather what the Patriots think is a fitting deal for his value in their scheme as a 3-4 NT or a 4-3 DT. Wilfork has been complaining about not getting a deal done since the offseason started. I think the Pats brass is holding off until the season is underway, to reopen negotiations. After 4-5 games into the season, they have a better idea if they want to sign him to a long-term deal asap, or wait until after the season, with the option of franchising him still available. Keep in mind that the Patriots have alternatives available in Mike Wright and Ron Brace, although they'd rather see Wilfork re-sign.

I don't see how, in an uncapped year, with 2 franchise tags available for each team, Wilfork isn't tagged. From a football standpoint, it makes no sense whatsoever to let him walk.

I don't see how, in an uncapped year, with 2 franchise tags available for each team, Wilfork isn't tagged. From a football standpoint, it makes no sense whatsoever to let him walk.

Agreed. I still fully expect to see Vince here for at least two, if not three more years.

Honestly, I'm not sure any of us could possibly know. We all know in a 3-4 that the NT is the most important position, but we also have to remember that Seymour is also in a contract year. Both are equally important parts to the DL. If there isn't an uncapped season in 2010, one of them is gone.

Since I have to make up my mind here, I'm going to go ahead and guess "yes" based on what I've seen:

1. The drafting of Ron Brace speaks volumes about how the negotiations are going. However, he may be best suited for DE in our system so we can't draw a conclusion based soley on that.

2. If there is not an uncapped season, Big Vince will most likely command HUGE money (which he rightfully deserves) and we probably won't be able to give it to him.

3. We seem to be going into a 4-3 more often in training camp and certainly in the first preseason game. The drafting of Ron Brace and Myron Pryor enables us to do that (although I will say that it's the biggest looking 4-3 I've ever seen). If we stick primarily with the 4-3 throughout the regular season, it may make Vince more expendable as we can have both Brace and Pyror playing in the DT positions after that. Neither is as good as Vince but I have faith in BB's ability to make it work.

So, while I love Vince, I fear that he might be on his way out after 2009. I certainly hope not, but the evidence that we have is pointing in that direction.

Depends on how much he *really* wants to stay

Depends on how much he *really* wants to stay

Well not everyone likes taking the amount of abuse your body takes to play in the NFL or having a life expectancy of 56 years for pennies on the dollar compared to what they COULD get. If he leaves to persue higher money to make his life easier, I won't hold it against him.

Honestly, I'm not sure any of us could possibly know. We all know in a 3-4 that the NT is the most important position, but we also have to remember that Seymour is also in a contract year. Both are equally important parts to the DL. If there isn't an uncapped season in 2010, one of them is gone.

Since I have to make up my mind here, I'm going to go ahead and guess "yes" based on what I've seen:

1. The drafting of Ron Brace speaks volumes about how the negotiations are going. However, he may be best suited for DE in our system so we can't draw a conclusion based soley on that.

2. If there is not an uncapped season, Big Vince will most likely command HUGE money (which he rightfully deserves) and we probably won't be able to give it to him.

3. We seem to be going into a 4-3 more often in training camp and certainly in the first preseason game. The drafting of Ron Brace and Myron Pryor enables us to do that (although I will say that it's the biggest looking 4-3 I've ever seen). If we stick primarily with the 4-3 throughout the regular season, it may make Vince more expendable as we can have both Brace and Pyror playing in the DT positions after that. Neither is as good as Vince but I have faith in BB's ability to make it work.

So, while I love Vince, I fear that he might be on his way out after 2009. I certainly hope not, but the evidence that we have is pointing in that direction.

Vince's value in a potential move to a 4-3 also crossed my mind. But from what I've read, the gap responsibilities would be similar. I think he also played DT at Miami? But with Seymour also coming up, it'll be tough to keep both. Vince is a few years younger though.

This could be the last year for Wilfork and 16 other players (4 starters).

If a small miracle occurs and a new CBA is agreed to before March 2010,

another 9 players (2 starters) could be lost. There has been some talk

about postponing any extensions in the forseeable future until the contract

situation is clearer. I would think this would put the Patriots in danger

of losing a lot of veteran players.

:confused2:

One thing that seems different is that BB is more decisive about players now that Pioli is gone. I am thinking for instance the Hobbs situation. Which I like. Why drag situations out?

That said, BB will do what he can within reason to keep Wilfork assuming the newer DL most likely won't outcompete him.

I think Wilfork gets franchised. It makes more sense than a giant contract if the other DL show good progress.

But I definitely hope that Wilfork compromises a bit and takes a value deal like Brady and the other long term players on the team. That would be the best for the team and maybe for Wilfork's career as well. Superbowl rings are a nice incentive for many players.

Lots of player ain't done much since leaving town...

Actually, there are 2 transition tags, or 1 franchise and 1 transition.

But not 2 franchise tags, just FWIW.

I agree w/ you that I believe they'll use one of these options if it comes down to it, but I think they end up reaching a long term deal eventually.

I expect Wilfork to be extended. He is worth more to us than to other teams. We could franchise him, but it seems unlikely that he would play under the tag. The patriots could probably take his cap hit until camp if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes