PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this the reason Don Jones became expendable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think that we cut Don Jones so that Tyms could get his first reps on special teams? NOT!

So you think that we cut Don Jones so that Tyms could get his first reps on special teams? NOT!

That's almost what I'm saying.

If White doesn't go down, Jones is still here. But once they needed to replace White, Don Jones was the most expendable and a major reason why is this IMO.

I think they preferred to keep him, just wasn't worth his blocking on special teams when there really was no better option to cut.

Last edited:
That's almost what I'm saying.

If White doesn't go down, Jones is still here. But once they needed to replace White, Don Jones was the most expendable and a major reason why is this IMO.

I think they preferred to keep him, just wasn't worth his blocking on special teams when there really was no better option to cut.

First, Chris White did not play even ONE rep as a linebacker in 2013. I haven't looked this year, but I don't think he has any reps this year. So, replacing Chris White would mean signing a special teamer.

Don Jones was cut before we needed a roster spot and before Chris White was injured. If Belichick had waited a week, Jones would still be here and Chris White would likely be on IR.

In the end, after Belichick screwed the pooch on Jones, White got injured, and now as folks are dinged up in a particular week, Belichick is scrambling for additional special teamers.

Don Jones was cut before we needed a roster spot and before Chris White was injured. If Belichick had waited a week, Jones would still be here and Chris White would likely be on IR.

In the end, after Belichick screwed the pooch on Jones, White got injured, and now as folks are dinged up in a particular week, Belichick is scrambling for additional special teamers.
White was hurt in practice on Thursday, November 27. Jones was cut Friday, November 28.

I guess his release was reported the evening of the 27th, but that was still after White's injury and it was not made official until the next day.

First, Chris White did not play even ONE rep as a linebacker in 2013. I haven't looked this year, but I don't think he has any reps this year. So, replacing Chris White would mean signing a special teamer.

Negative, see what sciz posted

Slater: 1 catch for 46 yds
Tyms: 1 catch for 43 yds and TD
BEAST and BEAST!!

I'm happy to have both Slater and Tyms on the Patriots' roster.

Slater: 1 catch for 46 yds
Tyms: 1 catch for 43 yds and TD
BEAST and BEAST!!

Slater actually is a beast (or close to it) and commands high respect for his play. Sure, if WR was the role Slater was counted on to be productive in, he would deserve some negatives thrown his way. But since he is all but a beast in the role he is counted on being productive at -- and he is a solid vet presence for this young team -- a cut down of him is absurd.

A reasonable argument could be made that Slater is the second most influential leader on the Patriots team after Tom Brady. I think he plays an important role is selling the importance of special teams to the players who come and go from the roster.

I like

Dolphins punter Brandon Fields said it’s difficult even for AFC East rivals to dislike these Patriots because “they’re not dirty.”

This reminds me of an offseason thread when we are really bored, wouldn't Jones be about #48 or so on the roster??

Do not think that cutting him was some sort of nefarious plot, think it was a numbers game.. and they probably had every intent on resigning him after the weekend... but Miami jumped the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes