PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this the last year of wes welker in a pats uniform...?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
i would like to see him retire with Tom Brady... but i think tom curren makes some great points... is wes welker a product of the pats or is he a great player???? Id say this is the last year of his carrer as a pat.... yes i know he is a FA after this year , but is he not replaceable...????

Last edited:
i would like to see him retire with Tom Brady... but i think tom curren makes some great points... is wes welker a product of the pats or is he a great player???? Id say this is the last year of his carrer as a pat.... yes i know he is a FA after this year , but is he not replaceable...????

For what it's worth, Mike Reiss is expecting a bunch of contract extensions in the near future as opposed to player signings. I don't know if he was speculating or actually on to something, but guys like Mayo and Welker are at the extension point of their current contracts. I don't think we can afford to let either of them go.

Brady and Welker have a synergy that is hard to replicate. I think Welker will be back, clearly he will have fit in the cap structure. I hope he retires a Patriot.

They can talk contract afterwards.I wanna see what kind of year he has this year.Lets wait and see.

Where did Curran say all this?

As for Welker... I'm still adamant that LAST year was his last in his Pats uniform. But I've gone through that spiel enough times...

Are you assuming Brady Retires as a Patriot? Not that it couldn't happen, I say it's about 50/50

Brady and Welker have a synergy that is hard to replicate. I think Welker will be back, clearly he will have fit in the cap structure. I hope he retires a Patriot.

I don't want to sound like I know the guy, obviously I don't, but Welker doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to demand $10,000,000 a year or a trade. I think Welker will take less money to stay here, he went undrafted, cut, then traded to finally end up on a winning team with the GOAT at QB.

You have to be crazy to want to give that up.

Money does rule this league though unfortunately. He's a Patriot I want to see retire here, a good little foot soldier.

This whole 'product of the Patriots system' BS is laughable.

Its the ultimate backhanded compliment - players A isn't that good he's just a 'product of the system'.

Didn't we have to listen to this BS about Brady year after year?

Wes Welker, like Logan Mankins, is the best at his position - just because he makes it look easy it doesnt mean guys like Edelman are just going to step in and be that good, that consistently.

Welker is probably one of the most sure-fire re-signings on the roster.

Last edited:
Where did Curran say all this?

As for Welker... I'm still adamant that LAST year was his last in his Pats uniform. But I've gone through that spiel enough times...

Curran is co hosting on EEI this afternoon w/ Holley. He doesn't feel Welker is a unique talent like a Brady and that Edleman can do the job in the slot without a big dropoff.

Curran is co hosting on EEI this afternoon w/ Holley. He doesn't feel Welker is a unique talent like a Brady and that Edleman can do the job in the slot without a big dropoff.

I love Edelman, but I don't think Curran watches too much Patriot football. I want to see him succeed, as a Patriot, but you can't deny his dropoff from his rookie season. Whether it was lack of reps or whatever, he was about as consistent as Tate.

Welker is money every time he touches the ball. I don't care about big plays, I care about first downs and protecting the ball. Both of those come natural to him and his on field relationship with TB is special.

Until Edelmen gets a hands transplant, I think Welker will be fine.

I don't know what Welker is looking for in what would be his last shot at a big payday. I certainly hope that a deal that is a win/win and keeps Welker here can be crafted. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Tough to say right now

Injury to prematurely end the season would make it more unlikely to retain him.

A sub-par year would also make it unlikely

A 1,000+ season would almost certainly give Kraft more reason

Welker is not getting any younger is another factor that should be considered

Just too tough to worry about and I would like to forget about NEXT season and enjoy THIS season...see me in February to tell you more

Its the ultimate backhanded compliment - players A isn't that good he's just a 'product of the system'.

Wes Welker, like Logan Mankins, is the best at his position - just because he makes it look easy it doesnt mean guys like Edelman are just going to step in and be that good, that consistently.

GREAT POST! Honestly its really funny and shows how selfish fans can really be. Welker came into this organization and tore it up, NEVER complained and has been a model citizen throughout his career. Now you guys already want to replace him because his past year wasn't as great as his last 3!? Edelman is NOT Wes Welker! Wes already went on record stating he's already made more money than he could ever dream of. People are already talking about pay cuts on here is absolutely RIDICULOUS! He has earned the right to a HEFTY contract extension if need be. If he declines or states otherwise, fine, thats his business and that only raises him in my book even further.

Getting rid of Welker would honestly shift my opinion of this organization drastically. I don't see them doing it personally but I also can't picture why so many of you even have that strain of thought in your minds.

I'm even on the "trade Welker" bandwagon, and I completely disagree with that. I just think that Welker is the best slot receiver in the NFL stuck in an offense that is at its best when there are 2 TEs and therefore no slot receiver on the field. More of a statement about Hernandez and Gronkowski than Edelman, who I don't see getting more than 10 catches even if Welker is gone. ¯\(°.o)/¯

I don't want to sound like I know the guy, obviously I don't, but Welker doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to demand $10,000,000 a year or a trade. I think Welker will take less money to stay here, he went undrafted, cut, then traded to finally end up on a winning team with the GOAT at QB.

I think the Pats can and will keep Welker for reasonable dollars. Welker's first extension after being traded was quite reasonable. I'm hoping that a 4-5 year pact in the 6m per year range will be enough to retain Welker. He is such a key for this offense. And his average of 100 receptions per season would not be easily replaced. BEST SLOT receiver in the NFL. Nuff said. The Slot Machine needs to retire a Patriot.

You can lock this thread now. Nothing more to be said after this. Thanks ;)

Why, they don't let them keep their uniforms?

I'm even on the "trade Welker" bandwagon, and I completely disagree with that. I just think that Welker is the best slot receiver in the NFL stuck in an offense that is at its best when there are 2 TEs and therefore no slot receiver on the field. More of a statement about Hernandez and Gronkowski than Edelman, who I don't see getting more than 10 catches even if Welker is gone. ¯\(°.o)/¯

You can have three TEs on the field and still have a slot receiver. That's how Welker got his first TD last year.

I'm just worried he'll be looking for $10 million a year, considering that's basically what Santonio Holmes and Brandon Marshall got. Honestly, I don't see the Pats paying that. We can hope he's a team player with some humility about him, but next off season he'll be 30 without ever having had a contract commensurate with his impact. I wouldn't blame him for chasing whatever dollars he can.

Next year could be a monster crop for free agent WRs. Hopefully, that limits his market a little. If not... like I said, it's a nice crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes