PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this secondary going to cost us another shot at SB(merged) glory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no pressure and letting Eli sit there waiting for his receiver to beat double coverage to the sideline was one of THE big factors. The front seven has cut into that lack of pressure this season...and...FWIW...I haven't seen anyone make a complaint about all the holding Denver did today....Jones definitely has scratch marks all over his neck and back...it was actually ridiculous, but I saw the Pats holding a lot too...I guess it was this particular ref crew anthe way they call it...and I'm fine with that...last year I would have gone nutso...but I've learned from this season's start...deal with it...as we've seen, it could be worse...FAR FAR FAR worse

Believe me i try to chill and relax while watching but the amount of breath holding and phews are too many to count.

Exactly, i'm worried about why for over 2 years we get worse in the back end
Certain problems are hard to fix. Look at how long the Colts tried to fix their defense and the Ravens looked for a real QB. Each team has its own troubles filling certain spots, and great luck with other spots.

Believe me i try to chill and relax while watching but the amount of breath holding and phews are too many to count.

ahahahah, sounds like me. try some xanax

Last edited:
If i have to resort to taking some kind of drug while watching the Pats then something must be wrong :eek:

best solution??? rob a mango and mix it up with some rum ...voila!!! robbomango punch!!!

It's week 5, and the Patriots are in first place in the AFCE. The Bills got beaten like an egg in a commercial blender. The Jets are facing the Houston Texans while reeling and being woefully undermanned.

For now, at least, order has been restored to the universe. Try some cocoa. :)

Pay Ty Law 250K to be our interim secondary coach and we'll be in the SB again.

Forget being an aggressive secondary, they aren't even a reactionary one at this point. After a reception, the ball is in the opposing receivers hands for five seconds by the time our CB decides to make a tackle. Receptions aren't even remotely competitive. 3rd and 17s are like 3rd and 2s.

Forget being an aggressive secondary, they aren't even a reactionary one at this point. After a reception, the ball is in the opposing receivers hands for five seconds by the time our CB decides to make a tackle. Receptions aren't even remotely competitive. 3rd and 17s are like 3rd and 2s.

very true, Gregory was lucky that Thomas was asleep at the wheel for that fumble because Manning scores on that drive if we don't get it back.

Devin McCourty is real frustrating to watch at times. Every time teams pick on him, they've been successful. Heck, Flacco just throws it up in the air above Jones and Smith and the refs throw yellow on the field. But hopefully, Dennard will build from his limited time and that play where he broke up the pass from Decker (correct me if I'm wrong) showed a lot of promise.

If i have to resort to taking some kind of drug while watching the Pats then something must be wrong :eek:

I hear ya, hate watching the team get marched on in close ones but that's what we signed up for. Okay no drugs, maybe 10-12 beers will help:p

That's the thing that scares me. A lot of times the defense doesn't even attempt to contest throws.

I'm not really worried about this secondary costing the pats another SB. Mostly because if the defense folds again (2006,2007,2011, week 3 2012), fans here will convince me it was a the offenses fault for not running out the clock with first downs and I will probably begin to believe it.

I hear ya, hate watching the team get marched on in close ones but that's what we signed up for. Okay no drugs, maybe 10-12 beers will help:p

Haven't drank in almost 2 years now, about the time since i got made a starting receiver on a team. I try to live the healthy lifestyle but trust me i feel like breaking that every Sunday. Being a to-the-core pats fan is truly exciting but at the same time not good on the heart :D

Now yes i know it's the great Peyton Manning that tore them up today but it's not just really Peyton is it?

It's Locker, Kolb, Fitzpatrick, Flacco (we all know he ain't all that) and other not so great QB's that literally tear this secondary to shreds every week.

It's like a broken record, 3rd and long surely the Pats D gets the 3 and out but oh no Mccourty and Chung forget how to turn around and how to play corner by giving up a 30+ yard pass or a stupid PI penalty.

Honestly that is an average list of QB's i mentioned and without the immense effort of that D Line and our bruising LB's getting strips the secondary would be made to look even worse than it already has been.

Dennard is seriously the only guy i can say i have faith in so far this season and that's just after 1 game! Mccourty playing well once every 3/4 weeks is not going to cut it i'm afraid

A bit worried that just like Eli proved, when we need our secondary to step up the most they will let down.

Someone please reassure me otherwise and give me reason to believe that they won't.

That's because Dennard actually TURNS AROUND LOCATES IT & Makes a play Where McCourty just runs at receivers and gets flagged for PIs. Secondary concerns me with decent passing QBs not mention Elite types. Guess we need more of a pass rush to help'm out.

Let's just say I really hope we don't face Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, or Matt Ryan in the Super Bowl.

Let's just say I really hope we don't face Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, or Matt Ryan in the Super Bowl.

heh...so you're telling me we're going to the...Super Bowl?

NICE!

Houston and Baltimore say "Hi,don't forget about me"

First off, I think people need to mentally adjust their idea of what it means for a secondary to "get shredded" in the present day NFL.

So far this season, we've got 5 QBs averaging over 300 yards a game. In 2002, not a single QB did. In 2003, Manning paced the league with 263 passing yards per game. This season, that would put him in the same class as Ryan Tannenhill and Matt Cassell. In 2002, only the top four QBs averaged over 250 yards a game. This year, that would be good for 19th place, just ahead of Brandon Weeden.

Another thing making the passing totals against the Pats look bad this season is the total number of drives they've faced -- only 4 teams in the NFL (Houston, Philly, Miami and Buffalo) have had as many drives in their games. On a per drive basis, the Pats are 12th in the league in terms of yards allowed, and 16th in terms of points allowed. Broken down at the down-series level, the Pats are allowing teams to get a first down only 67.5% of the time, good for a surprising 7th place in the league. Additionally, the Pats are 7th in interceptions per drive.

So while I wouldn't say that the secondary is necessarily a strength for the team, the defense is, as a whole, a little above average which, with this offense, is definitely enough to win a SB with.

We got within 4 minutes and a dropped catch away from a superbowl victory with the 2nd worst pass defense in NFL history. How is a better defense going to hurt our chances?

We got within 4 minutes and a dropped catch away from a superbowl victory with the 2nd worst pass defense in NFL history. How is a better defense going to hurt our chances?

I don't know but stick around...I'm sure the College Of Crap Creators-School Of Patriot Bashing will come up with a dead bang dissertation addressing the untold thousands of faults within the Patriots organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes