PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this secondary going to cost us another shot at SB(merged) glory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patriots fans are concerned about the lousy Patriots secondary because they are Patriots fans. They're not going to worry about the Broncos secondary sucking.

Exactly, i'm worried about why for over 2 years we get worse in the back end

I've never seen a group of CBs turn to look for the ball less than this crop.

What the **** are the coaches teaching them in practice?

A couple of people have stated this. I am inclined to agree at this stage. It could be a talent thing but with Moore, Chung, McCourty, Arrington e.t.c all not turning their heads and looking for the ball consistently you just have to think it's a coaching issue as well.

Pass rush hasn't been great but Chandler has. He gets held all the time and the bullsh1t refs don't call anything but that's another discussion anyway.

While you say it's two to tango the front does their end of the bargain by stopping the run. We stop elite backs getting any yards with regularity because of how strong our D line and LB's are, the least the secondary could do is not waste the front's effort of getting to 3rd and long by giving up HUGE plays most of the time.

The run support has been o.k. But McGahee gashed them a bit at times today,they are missing Hightower a bit,I think

I disagree with most of this. If the Pats had a behemoth deep threat receiver (like most of the teams you mentioned), we would be making opposing secondaries look a hell of a lot worse that ours has. And I think Manning played great today--you can only do so much against him when he's in the zone.

Agree with your thoughts on Chung and McCourty for the most part. (although I think McCourty was better than most people are saying, both this week and last). But the good news is aht there are some real simple solutions to the problems you brought up: Replace McCourty with Dennand and move DM to safety (for now). Take Chung off the field in obvious passing situations and replace him with McCourtey, Dowling, someone else who is better in coverage. This doesn't strike me as rocket science after what I say today.

That's why i said i have no problem with Manning ripping us to pieces because we see our own legend at QB do it all the time, that's Peyton however what about Fitzpatrick throwing all over us? No excuse for that IMO

Seems to me this secondary focuses WAY too much on ball hawking for the INT rather than playing the position effectively.

BB's one-game-at-a-time philosophy is actually quite relaxing.:cool:

This seems like a relevant time to post this quote. It's from AllWorldTE over at Patriots Planet. He knows his stuff, as you'll be able to tell from reading this.

Thats exactly what they were discussing with Zolak the other day. McCourty was quoted as saying that "this is what they're coached to do, but good luck convincing everyone of that"....I thought it was a funny response.

Last edited:
Our secondary is suspicious, but we were torched by Peyton. I'm just satisfied that our offensive and defensive units have been improved from last year. Just looking around, our roster (including the secondary) is completely upgraded from last year. At least we don't have to field Sergio Brown, Molden, Ihedigbo, or JE on the defensive side :)

In any case, does anyone have any theories on why Ras is not playing as much?

Last edited:
Our secondary is suspicious, but we were torched by Peyton. I'm just satisfied that our offensive and defensive units have been improved from last year. Just looking around, our roster (including the secondary) is completely upgraded from last year. At least we don't have to field Sergio Brown, Molden, Ihedigbo, or JE on the defensive side :)

Moore has played better Perhaps?

Exactly, i'm worried about why for over 2 years we get worse in the back end

While I understand your overall point, I don't think this is a fair characterization of what's going on out there. As much as I've been killing this backfield, it's still an improvement over last year, IMO. Remember just how bad that group was as the beginning of last season. They gave up 300+ passing yards in 5 of the first 6 games. So far, they've already held 2 teams under that through 5. I'd say that 2011 was a drop down from 2010, but I'd also say that 2012 seems to be a slight improvement over 2011, so far.
Given some level of improvement from the two rookies (Wilson, Dennard), and an increased sense of comfort with one another as the season goes on, and this unit should continue to be better than last year's.

Now, if Wilson lights them up next week, I'd consider that a very good reason to get much more concerned.

Last edited:

I have no idea why he's not out there, maybe they don't like what he's doing on the practice field to have faith in him on sundays, could be an niggling injury though.

Oh and please don't mention those names from the secondary by committee last year again (SHUDDERS).

The secondary didn't cost the pats the SB last year.

Pack it up folks. 5 weeks in and we don't completely shut down a playoff team that upgraded to a HOF QB.

We're ****ed.

Good point but there are alot of D's out there that don't let average QB's walk all over them on a weekly basis.

I got nothing wrong with Peyton throwing all over us because it's Peyton for gods sake and Brady does the same every week to other D's and we love him for it, but when you talk about Fitzpatrick and Locker making your secondary look like mince meat it's concerning
I think your description of events is a bit generous for two guys with as many INTs as TDs.

Pack it up folks. 5 weeks in and we don't completely shut down a playoff team that upgraded to a HOF QB.

We're ****ed.

Ehh... While some may be panicking too early, anyone who brushes off the problems of the secondary is a fool.

While I understand your overall point, I don't think this is a fair characterization of what's going on out there. As much as I've been killing this backfield, it's still an improvement over last year, IMO. Remember just how bad that group was as the beginning of last season. They gave up 300+ passing yards in 5 of the first 6 games. So far, they've already held 2 teams under that through 5. I'd say that 2011 was a drop down from 2010, but I'd also say that 2012 seems to be a slight improvement over 2011, so far.
Given some level of improvement from the two rookies (Wilson, Dennard), and an increased sense of comfort with one another as the season goes on, and this unit should continue to be better than last year's.

Now, if Wilson lights them up next week, I'd consider that a very good reason to get much more concerned.

No doubt it's been 'better' but not good enough if you're thinking big picture and not letting someone like Alex Smith of all people to torch you in the SB.

We should all be thinking big picture because this team with the talent should be a SB contender unquestionably but if you're going to give up non stop 25+ yard plays then that next lombardi is not going to come.

Thank god we have a run game that let's us control the clock and keep that secondary off the field just a little bit longer.

Maybe taking some acid will make it look like they're playing better. Thoughts?

The secondary didn't cost the pats the SB last year.

no pressure and letting Eli sit there waiting for his receiver to beat double coverage to the sideline was one of THE big factors. The front seven has cut into that lack of pressure this season...and...FWIW...I haven't seen anyone make a complaint about all the holding Denver did today....Jones definitely has scratch marks all over his neck and back...it was actually ridiculous, but I saw the Pats holding a lot too...I guess it was this particular ref crew anthe way they call it...and I'm fine with that...last year I would have gone nutso...but I've learned from this season's start...deal with it...as we've seen, it could be worse...FAR FAR FAR worse

Last edited:
No doubt it's been 'better' but not good enough if you're thinking big picture and not letting someone like Alex Smith of all people to torch you in the SB.

I've been a big picture guy since day one, and I think most people here would tell you that. However, in the big picture, this team was a Wes Welker reception away from winning the Super Bowl last year.

We should all be thinking big picture because this team with the talent should be a SB contender unquestionably but if you're going to give up non stop 25+ yard plays then that next lombardi is not going to come.

The Patriots were worst in the NFL last year at giving up plays of 20+ yards. Again, they were a Wes Welker reception away from winning it all.

Thank god we have a run game that let's us control the clock and keep that secondary off the field just a little bit longer.

The running game is nice. Brandon Lloyd forcing defenses to defend more of the field on passing plays is nicer. When you look at the teams the Patriots will likely have to go through in the playoffs, you're looking at teams that are generally excellent against the run. If the Patriots need to run the ball to beat the likes of the Ravens and 49ers, for example, they're probably screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes