Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is this cartoon racist?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Feb 18, 2009.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think I get what the parody is but it was just plain dumb to do it.

Cartoon seems to link Obama to dead chimp
    New York Post is standing behind cartoon some consider racist

NEW YORK - The New York Post is standing behind a cartoon that some have interpreted as comparing President Barack Obama to a violent chimpanzee gunned down by police. The cartoon in Wednesday's Post by Sean Delonas shows two police officers standing over the body of a bullet-riddled chimp. One of the officers says the other, "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."

Civil rights activist Al Sharpton called the cartoon "troubling at best given the historic racist attacks of African-Americans as being synonymous with monkeys."

Cartoon seems to link Obama to dead chimp - Politics- msnbc.com

Attached Files:

• ape.jpg
      ape.jpg
      File size:
      37.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

NO....

people that are pi$$ed really need to focus on other $h!t.

The monkey doesn't refer to Obama, its a refernce to the old theory that if you put enough monkeys in a room with a bunch of typewriters that they will eventually write a great novel.

get over it.....

now, If the monkey had a "HOPE" shirt on....then we could talk about this.....
  3. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

wow, that sure is indeed racist and its not even subtle. What other point could it even be making. Howard Cosell got in trouble for being less offensive than that. And combine the history of blacks being linked with monkeys with the history of controversy of blacks being shot by white police officers and anyone who isnt immediately appalled by this is in total denial.
  4. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

I guess it was ok to call Bush a chimp, but not Barry?

Who didn't see this double standard coming from a mile away.:rolleyes:
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

ughhhhh..I just read the editor's reply....

Post Editor-in-Chief Col Allan said: "The cartoon is a clear parody of a current news event, to wit the shooting of a violent chimpanzee in Connecticut. It broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy. Again, Al Sharpton reveals himself as nothing more than a publicity opportunist."

Wit the violent shooting of a chimpanzee? this is more classless than racist, but my initial defense by what I saw in it was 100% wrong.

this writer was more inline with my thinking:

Sam Stein, a columnist for the site, wrote that "at its most benign, the cartoon suggests that the stimulus bill was so bad, monkeys may as well have written it. Most provocatively, it compares the president to a rabid chimp. Either way, the incorporation of violence and (on a darker level) race into politics is bound to be controversial."
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I don't think you understand racism, as it pertains to african americans and references to primates.

chek into it.
  7. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

oh for crying out loud are you totally ignorant of the history of the use of monkeys in referring to black people?

its MUCH more offensive to link it with a black person than it is with a white person because of the history of it.

its like saying a swastika has the same meaning to a white, anglo than it does to a Jewish person, or the confederate flag has the same meaning to a white southerner than to a black person.

Im not sure some of you folks ever went to school.
  8. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Its the NYPOST what do you expect. Its a classless rag, the Jets fans main source of information.
  9. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Bush really did look like a chimp in some of those pictures, thats why it started. I've also seen him eating mouth open crumbs, and spit flying everywhere,and this was at a G 7 summit. Your suppose to eat like you have manners not like an monkey
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Racism will never end until people quit being so uptight. It's OK to call Bush or Quayle a moron but not call Obama a chimp. Is one worse than the other ? Get over it.
  11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

So, is it ok to call a white person a ni@@er?

And a white person can not be offended by a swastika?

Get out of the 1960's, You hypocrite libtard.

Here buy yourself one of these it will make you feel better.

The Original Obama Monkey
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Why don't you put your little theory to the test, run out and find a few african americans....talk to them while referring to them as "Monkeys"

try this line for starters, then keep the flow going...

"Hey Monkeys, I'm the patsfanineaglesland....I've been having a debate online, a bunch of posters are claiming that you monkeys get offended when ..... (PUNCH!!!!). Sorry, why did you monkeys just punch me in the face? (PUNCH!!!!!) I don't understand, why you monkeys will not le me finish asking you a ques (PUNCH!!!!)

I bet it goes something like that.

reminds me of this racist clip from Fentucky Fried Movie.... "Rex Kramer : Danger Seeker"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYzsskE5ObA
  13. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

lets see...

#1 A history of Blacks being compared to Primates

#2 A history in N.Y. of white cops shooting black men

#3 An ingrained fear that a Black President is at a higher risk for assassination than a White President. This is spoken of more than you know amongst black people,and understood amongst whites, unsaid, except when watching comedians such as Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, and Chris Rock.

so we have a picture of a chimp being shot by white cops and JUST IN CASE WE MISSED THE POINT a statement that "there going to have get someone else to propose a stimulus bill"

Who do you THINK they were referring to?

The constant denial by people like you is as infuriating as the cartoon itself.

this isnt Don Rickles fun, or a "get over it" moment.

Its not even subtle. I suppose if their was a "funny" cartoon about a holocaust survivor you'd find anyone having a problem with as "too sensitive"

some things are just gross and awful. And before I hear stupid complaints about "censorship", as Real World so correctly says, and i may not have it exact, sure, you can do it, but, should you?
  14. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

WTF are you talking about???????

I never said a white person cant be offended by a swastika or its ok to call them the N word

We are talking about THIS cartoon.

and what i said was calling a white person a monkey is not the same as calling a black person one and a swastika has a different meaning to a Jew than a Gentile.

No N word was used, i said monkey.

But people like you and Belichick Fan will always come to the defense of the racist with some out of left field well-one-day-a-black-guy-did this.

talk about Get over it. Calling a wrong a wrong wont kill you, you know.
    You can still go back to resenting blacks.

if you cant see how wrong this cartoon is you have some real deep seeded issues, my friend.
  15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

It's as racist as a cartoon with a $ sign representing a Jew would be anti-Semitic or a bottle of booze representing an Irish person. Racists have been known to associate blacks with monkeys, and the Post, not surprisingly, was grossly insensitive.
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

Nmffj mjnee, khrneeewm mg klklle lmanr, noth "mkeekh" pmhnyjt Hn hnekka lmpllyiuu jm shhw ,lyoj mjnehh whutjollh mn.

:bricks:
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

It's funny. End of story. I'm guessing you wouldn't be offended by a cartoon suggesting Bush was as smart as a chimp or that he could/should be assassinated. It's humor - not to be taken too seriously.
  18. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

They can't understand it because they're blinded by their own zealot fervor for liberalism and Democrats and hatred of the Republican party. It's a cult. There's no reasoning with it. If it were a black Republican president they would have zero problem with it.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

you somehow made Racism --- Partisan????? classic.
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

So am I allowed to say that Obama really does look like a chimp ? Or is it just White people who that can be said about ?