PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this Belichick's finest coaching job in New England to date?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is this Belichick's best coaching job yet?

• Yes

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this his best? I don't believe so. However, how can this not be considered one of his better coaching jobs? The man brought the team to the playoffs and SB with one of the worst statistical defenses in the history of the game. He brought this team to the SB with someone named Sterling Moore getting considerable time on defense. He brought this team to the SB with two UDFA's in Arrington and Fletcher. Can anyone outside of NE fans name most of the players on the defense?

I could go on, but I feel I've said enough. I don't believe there is any other coach in the league that can do what BB has done. He's done similar things in previous seasons, but this one just feels a lot more special. He's the greatest coach of our generation, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Patriots fan. He really just knows how to get the most out of his players. He knows his X's and O's. He knows how to deploy people. He knows when to cut people loose. He knows when to bring in new ones. He's just a great coach.

Last edited:
I think BB has done a fine job coaching but I wouldn't call it his best. The defense is average, not terrible, not good. I think people make way too much out of the D's performance. If yards is going to be the only measuring stick you're using than fine I guess they are terrible. If you want to consider the fact that they are allowing 18.8 ppg over the last 10 you might feel differently.

BB the talent evaluator is also doing just fine. Every player but Kevin Faulk was brought here by him. You don't go to the Super Bowl with back to back number 1 seeds and a 29-6 over the past two years with scrubs. Fact.

This has been good, but I'd have to go with 2001.

Here's a tip, since it sucks so bad don't watch the game. The hater fanbase here simply doesn't deserve to enjoy the success the Patriots are having, what a bunch of frigging douchebags.

@IVAN the op ask if this was bills best season and i gave my thoughts on it.
Call me a hater all you want, but you're foolish if can't see that this as one of the most flawed teams the patriots have ever had.

I'm not going to salivate over mediocrity like some tebow fan would. Bill is maybe the greatest coach ever, but having a 31st rank is far beneath him.

You think bill a coach who prides himself on defense likes that ranking?

And screw you for not respecting others opinions.

I'll get back to you on this sometime around 10PM on Sunday night. Thanks, though.

I'm thinking that a lot of these opinions will change if we win the Super Bowl on Sunday...

Call me a hater all you want, but you're foolish if can't see that this as one of the most flawed teams the patriots have ever had.

I'm not going to salivate over mediocrity like some tebow fan would. Bill is maybe the greatest coach ever, but having a 31st rank is far beneath him.

The problem with your opinion is that it's misinformed like so many who comment on the Patriots defense. Most of us have designated the defense as middle of the road and the points allowed paints that picture.

Feel free to disagree as much as you like but the Patriots defense was a top 5 unit in creating turnovers and a middle of the road defense in points scored. Yards mean SFA.

I'm not sure it's Bill's best job, but it's a darn fine one.

I think you'll find your attracting negativity because instead of saying "no i don't think it's his best because of the way his defence has played and there have been a lot of miscommunications and plays they weren't ready for, and hence could have been coached better"

You said it was one of their worst ever (we are in the Super Bowl so ur clearly wrong no matter how you slice it). You also go on to say they are the 31st ranked defence in the league... this is you focusing on the only negative about this D. The other stats are 3rd in turnovers and dead middle for points. BB'd worst coaching was in my opinion clearly 2009 where he lost the locker room and couldn't get the team to play the way he wanted.

To call this team his worst effort when they have come ack so many times and showed determination despite adversity is what has cause a lot of people on this forum to regard your opinion as stupid and misinformed.

Now on point. Do i think this is his best? no i liked 2001 and actually i really liked last year until the playoff game. Last year we had the best record in the league with 6+ rookie key starters... now that was impressive.

I'm thinking that a lot of these opinions will change if we win the Super Bowl on Sunday...

Agreed. When you're talking about an HC with three of his own rings and two as an Assistant, the yardstick for determining his "finest coaching job" is completely different from the one that would be used to measure mere mortals. In BB's case, IMO, everything has to be measured against getting a 5--11 team with a no-name QB to have whatever it took to win the Snow Bowl and then go on to beat the Greatest Show on Turf in SB XXXVI with a game plan that was pure genius.

As I said above, I'll get back to you on this at around 10PM Sunday, if I haven't jumped out the window of my apartment in order to avoid a replay of 2008 when I had to listen to the goddam Giants fans' horns honking in the streets below...in which case you can put me down for a big "N-O" posthumously. :)

Last edited:

1) I agree it isn't his best coaching job because i think 2001 was, even though this is a good one.

2) You are a hater because you never stop b.tching and being negative. B.tching about taking Ryan Mallett and whining that "all we get is Julian Edelman" the week of the Super Bowl the Patriots are playing in is the true mark of someone who is simply never satisfied and should be called out for being a douche.

3) The defense isn't 31st the yards were, and points win games, not yards. They were a mediocre defense that came together for the playoffs not the worst defense in football, which is what you and your hater pals have been shriking all season.

4) I think Belichik would shred you if you asked him a question about how he felt about having the worst defense in football and would start by pointing out that you don't know what you are talking about.

5) I'm plenty respectful of the opinions of others but that doesn't mean i have to keep my opinion about being completely fed up with the miserable fans who are never satisfied and are always sh.tting all over Belichik and this team. Most have the completely misguided idea that Belichik can't draft and believe they should be making the picks, and they never ever shut up about it. It is the messageboard equivalent of the douchebag Steve From Fall River who calls sports radio and says the exact same thing over and over and over and over, and that's what the haters here do as well, and it gets old, tiresome, and nauseating. You're welcome to your opinion but when it is a contant stream of b.tching don't be surprised when people who are happy with supporting the most successful franchise in football take issue with it.

you're joking with this, right?

Not at all.

Belichik assembled and coached the talent that put them in the Super Bowl, suggesting he is bad at either is the real joke.

Misunderstood your answer, although, as I stated, I believe Belichick the GM makes Belichick the coach work harder. If he was able to find his type of coach-able guys in the draft instead of burning thru the Wilhites, Meriweathers, Butlers, and Wheatleys of the world, he wouldn't have to work so hard to coach up what he does have.

Without a doubt this is his best coaching job..You have players on the defense who were cut from a practice squad on other teams and BB puts them into positions to make plays...Say what you want, easy schedual,beat no winning teams,bottom line they are in the superbowl and out of all the pats teams that made it to a superbowl you could make the argument this one has the most holes,but when there is only one game left none of that matters..Just win it :rocker:

Misunderstood your answer, although, as I stated, I believe Belichick the GM makes Belichick the coach work harder. If he was able to find his type of coach-able guys in the draft instead of burning thru the Wilhites, Meriweathers, Butlers, and Wheatleys of the world, he wouldn't have to work so hard to coach up what he does have.

Like every other GM Belichik has misses in the draft, however he is also the reason they have so many great and good players. Cold Hard Football Facts did an independent analysis of all 32 teams over the first decade of the 2000's and concluded the Patriots drafted better than any team in football, and they weren't even taking into account that they draft at the bottom of the league every year.

Imagine what this defense would look like if the patriots didn't waste that pick on mallett and drafted a safety or cornerback.

Eldelmen playing cornerback is what we get.

No, even if the Pats drafted a DB in the mid-3rd round, there is a decent chance Edelman is playing DB. Edelman is the 6th CB if everyone was healthy, so the CB depth chart for week 1 would be the following:

1. McCourtey
  2. Dowling
  3. Bodden
  4. Arrington
  5. 3rd round draft pick
  6. Edelman

The 3rd rounder would be displacing the Modden, the Adames, the Moores --- ie all the guys who were brought in off the street once injuries starting hitting the CBs hard. Edelman would still have been on the 53 and would have been the oh-**** cornerback if there was 2 or 3 injuries in a game.

2001, 2008, 2011 are up at the top, in some order.

2008?
Sure the schedule was soft and most of the talent was back from 2007. Going 11-5 with Matt Cassel at QB looks pretty good in light of what Indy did this year, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back