Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is This America

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

When speaking of the 1950's many liberals will scoff their little pompous know it all attitude and whail "oh God we don't ever want to go back there"

Is this what they prefer, how long before other American City's turn into this, Do Those Scummy Grinning Pelosi Dogs In Congress Care About This, does this Swaggering Arrogant Lip Smacking President care about this.

Bury The Dead (soon we will be throwing dead bodys in the local river like they do in all the other third world sh!t holes)

Dead Rotten Bodys
    Unburied bodies tell the tale of Detroit — a city in despair - Times Online

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

It must be nice to be you, Harry. All smug and safe, pompous and secure in your own blissful ignorance of what life is like for people other than yourself.

Not one ounce of pity in you, is there? Not one.

3. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

Thats exactly what I was showing was PITY, pity for those poor families that can't bury their dead, why is this rotten Government allowing this to go on, we just gave trillions of dollars away in all this stimulus bullsh!t, we're spending millions on wars we know we can't win and we have DEAD american citizens laying in body bags for years because we can't afford a few thousand dollars to bury them.

DISGUSTING, I TOO MISS AMERICA.

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

In the 1930s, paupers burials were quite common, but it was probably possible because you could hire gravediggers for perhaps pennies an hour. Now, we have minimum wage laws and other laws governing the burial of people, so it costs more. We need to raise taxes in order to take care of our country. We are a superpower, and we have a very expensive country to run, but unfortunately Republicans not only don't want to spend money, they don't even want to pay the bills. They need some personal responsibility.

5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

True "The Paupers Cemetery" I remember my father talking about them, a plain pine casket and a number for a headstone, I believe they are all across the country.

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Has anyone priced the cost of a funeral and burial lately?!?!?!?

I just buried my aunt last month and pre-planned a funeral/burial for my mom this past week.

I'm still in shock.

Apparently this is another "unregulated" industry.

7. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pauper burials are much, much older than the 1930s...and had nothing to do with wages. Never heard of Potter's Fields? Cheap pauper burials are an ancient practice as old as civilization itself.

What the hell do taxes have to do with unclaimed dead in dying city? You do realize it is in Detroit, a heavily DEMOCRAT city for decades???? How the hell do Republicans factor in here at all when it is a city problem? It has nothing to do with republicans or democrats- it is economic and corruption and mismanagement problems more than anything else.

You want to blame someone, blame the right people instead of ranting like an idiot about the wrong people at fault.

8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,073 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Harry deals in reality and is definitely not pompous.

9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,073 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I am so glad you are not in office. ;)

10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,073 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Perhaps I am in the minority but i told my family ... when I'm dead you're just looking at a shell. Dig a hole and drop me in it ... in a cheap box. Well - they have rules now i think everyone needs to go in the cement box also. In any case ... expensive burials are a waste of money ... drop me in a hole somewhere ... it's just a shell anyways.

11. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Private cemeteries can charge whatever they want for burial on their own land, it's a supply/demand industry like all others. They have to compete against the public and religious owned cemeteries for money yet still raise a profit.

It is also driven by what you want done and what you want for your marker and what you want for your resting place- more things cost more money.

12. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah but that is his own reality...not quite entirely the same as everyone else's reality ;)

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

The cemetery is the least of the expense.

Pretty much the cheapest burial (excluding cremation) is well over 5K. And that's with no embalming, no visitation at a funeral home and no flowers and no open casket and no family transportation to the cemetery and a low-end casket and vault. That also does not include the actual plot itself or a headstone.

Throw in an hour of visitation before the closing of the casket, a minister to say a few words at the funeral home and a spray of flowers and the price jumps to almost 10K.

14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,073 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I like Harry's reality ... I like his posts.

15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

I have chosen cremation, and a very simple service in the funeral home...keep it simple, after the initial loss no one will visit the cemetery anyways...

Throw my ashes in Penobscot Bay, Zion and off of Brenton's point...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  16. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Right that is a case of multiple hands in the pot...which in itself also adds to the costs that are no fault to the bereaved families.

There is no need for regulation there, frankly it is old school economics at work. Sorry if the price is high but it is a niche industry...a necessary niche. There doesn't need to be regulation there, just because it is high in price does not mean it has to be regulated.

17. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Same choice for me...I figure it is easiest on the family overall beside the cost as the ashes thrown to the wind they will always be there with them in some way.

18. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,073 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I'm in for cost cutting across the board ... I told my wife no nursing home either. If I'm dribbling or in a diaper then I want out.

19. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

I love the usual apologists trying to explain that the human disposal industry is completely consistent with their ridiculous notions of markets being sooooo wonderful for everybody.

When was the last time you saw a price war among funeral homes or cemetaries? Do you really believe the bereaved families are typical "smart shoppers" demanding best service for their buck?

Think they're hard-driving consumers encouraged to make budget-appropriate choices?

Please.

Read Jessica Mitford's "The American Way of Death." It's from decades ago, and the dollar amounts are out of date. But it should give you the flavor of the industry you're talking about.

Any of you b1tches of Milton Freidman ever hear of an abuse on the part of a capitalist? They do happen... you really shoulda paid attention in the latest meltdown. But then if you did that you wouldn't be able to continue to spout your junior high arguments about perfect worlds populated by benevolent, non-collusive, and inherently fair markets.

PFnV

20. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,073 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Does Walmart selling caskets count?
    $895.00

New

Lady de Guadalupe Steel Casket
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009