Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is This a Trend with Young Americans?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Dec 27, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I'm not a parent, so I don't know the answer to my question.

I'll start by stating that I've always been a close uncle to 2 of my nephews who live close by. I done many things with both of them. But of course, as they've gotten older, they don't want to hang with their uncle much anymore. They are now 19 and 15 years old.

But one thing I've noticed (especially in the older one) is that they both stay up super late and often sleep well past noon. Sometimes even til 2pm. This isn't infrequent, but a norm if they don't have school. So during summers and vacations, it's pretty much everyday.

I know when I was their age(s), I never wanted to sleep much past 10am. Even in my drinking days, I couldn't sleep that late. I'm guessing they stay up playing video games, but I really have no idea.

Is this common or is just my nephews? It doesn't seem healthy or a good way to enter adulthood. And 19 today is the same as 19 was back in 1978 when I was that age. It's not the age of a child, but an adult.

Would like to read posts from members with experience.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Either answer the question or don't post again. We don't need your facetious bs Heb.

Are we angry today for some non-reason?:D.

Thanks for stopping by.

I"m asking this question because I'm concerned. I won't ask my brother because he'd prolly say, "every kid sleeps until 2pm" .

3. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +447 / 6 / -13

the more they change, the more they stay the same......by 19, I was waking up the following evening due to the mescaline induced stupor from the night before

4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I enjoy going to midnight showings of major movie releases, maybe about 3 or 4 a year. I cannot, for the life of me, believe how many children there are at these showings. I'm not even talking about annoying teenagers, I'm talking about 8, 9, 10 year olds.

I just don't think this is "more of the same" stuff from when I was a kid. It's clearly an accelerating trend.

5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Nah, I'm talking everyday sleep habits IC.

Do most teens sleep past noon everyday?

What is their fascination with staying up all night? Why do 19 year old ADULT males still do sleep-overs?

6. DocHoliday

DocHoliday In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -1

My kid brother goes to bed at 2. I can't go to bed till 3/4 and we both wake up around 11.

When I'm working though im a 2-8 kind of guy.

7. 1228

1228 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

8. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 6 / -19

#61 Jersey

VIDEO GAMES! :bricks:

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +570 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

My kids are older now but yeah, they slept late on weekends, holidays and during the summer. Sometimes til noon, sometimes beyond. No biggie. Beats early childhood when they were up at 5AM looking for breakfast, cartoons, action and entertaining.

Each child has gone on to lead a productive life. No one seems to have suffered irreperable damage from sleeping late. One is a constant early riser, one works 2-10PM but has to get up with his kids early in the morning - on weekends when his wife is home she lets him sleep until noon. The third works shift work and sleeps whenever and whereever he can.

I, myself, was a champion sleeper when I was a teenager. Noon, as a rising time, would have been early. Now I can't sleep past 6AM - but since I'm not working anymore I do find myself loving the fact that I can crawl back in bed whenever the hell I feel like it and take a nap.

Other people's sleep habits should be the least of our worries - and I sincerely doubt they're any of our business.

10. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +169 / 2 / -1

#12 Jersey

When I was in my teens and early 20's I had lots of friends who stayed out all night and slept into the afternoon even if it was just on the weekends. Personally I never did it but I've always loved naps. So I'd get home from school/work and grab a couple hours and then get up and do whatever it was that needed to get done. Then I'd be out until 2 or 3AM, catch 4-5 hours sleep and go to school\work. Because of the naps and youth I was never spent.

There was one exception in HS where I got up on a Friday morning at 6AM and didn't go to bed until midnight Sunday night. It was school, out with friends, work a double including overnight, out with friends, work a double including overnight and then out with friends again. Minus coffee and beer it was done drug free. So I wake up and the sun is shining and I look at the alarm clock and it says 6:00 and I'm thinking wow after being up for 60 straight hours and only getting 6 hours sleep I feel awesome. So I go out to make breakfast and everybody is in the kitchen and I said what are you all doing up so early. Early? It's 6PM you just slept for 18 hours and nobody could wake you up. LOL.

11. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +447 / 6 / -13

yeah.....they stay up late......and on the weekends they wake up late, but they work hard and need the rest......usually wake up between 11 and noon, but that's partly because they sometimes get only 6 hours or so during the week since they are up late doing homework.....AP courses tend to keep you busy

12. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

I think part of the reason is that teenagers have a lot more entertainment options. When I was young and living at home most kid's bedrooms consisted of a bed, a desk and maybe a record player.

Now most kids have a ton entertainment options in their rooms. TVs with cable and sometimes DVRs, computers, video game systems, smart phones and so forth. Shoot, bak when I was young wee had a few broadcast channels and that shut off at 12 or 1 and the tv was in the living room.

It is probably not the main reason but it counld be a contributing factor.

13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

The night is young around 11:00 ... it's how their generation functions.
    Hard to buck the trend when everyone is doing it ... who wants to be anti social I guess.

I love staying up until 3 or 4 when I know I can sleep until 8:00 ... such a peaceful time of the day.

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Thanks Doc. I guess everyone has different preferences. I guess I'm more concerned because my nephew is very intelligent and gifted in some things, but he almost flunked out of his first year of college and isn't going back next semester.

I can't give him a hard time. I love him too much and just want to be there if he needs me. So it bugged me when I called him today at 1pm and he sounded like I just woke him up.

I used to get anxiety every night and wouldn't go to bed until late myself. Then I realized that going to bed by 10pm took away that anxiety. Life throws us many strange challenges I guess.

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Sounds like you're a hard worker...good for you! That goes a long way in life.

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Best explanation I read and I agree. Nice insight....which I'm guessing is coming from experience.

18. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +169 / 2 / -1

#12 Jersey

I can be when it's required. I work in IT and some weeks I put in a lot of work and hours and other weeks I coast. There's a good work\life balance where I work which is nice.

We're probably close to the same age. I'll be 45 in January.

19. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

i wanted to add I think that's why vampire movies are all the rage lately.

20. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

More common than you think. Two nights ago, my collegiate son went with a few friends to the midnight showing of Djaingo coming home around 3 am. When he;s not in school or not working, they go out late ( like we did) and sleep late ( like we did)....
    Long as he's getting good grades and working at his job,and being a good kid, the rest is okay with me.....Sleeping til noon isn't a big deal. You pick your battles as they say....